WMP9 and xLobby

Speak your mind

WMP9 and xLobby

Postby GatorMcNeil on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:45 pm

I know many people, including me have a problem with micros*ck, but I need to limit programs. I need media player for wmvhd, so I might as well use it for music instead of using winamp.
The problem is I can't seem to get it working. Now I am a newbie to xLobby, I previously was using myHTPC, but read that xLobby was better. So I am trying it out. I can't see much on the faqs or forum on WMP so....

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thank.

Scott
GatorMcNeil

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:13 pm

Couldn't you use winamp to play back the wma's? And use zoomplayer to play back the wmvhd. Zoomplayer is free as long as you are using it for things like that. Both of those programs are easy to set up and fully supported in xlobby
jowaldo

Postby GatorMcNeil on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:28 pm

Yes I could use winamp & ZP, but I need WMP to sort out the DRM on some WMVHD that use online connections, like T2 & Step into Liquid. I have to change my proxy server to get the license. Funny I am from the US, and buy the disks, but because I'm working in the military overseas, I can't use them.
Anyway.......

Scott
GatorMcNeil

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:42 pm

I can try to help you set it up, but first i need to know if you have been able to add those movies into a db? I don't have those dvd's so I'm not sure exactly how they are saved on the disc.
jowaldo

Postby GatorMcNeil on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:57 pm

No you can't save the disks on the HD. Because of the way they are encoded, you have to get a "license" across the internet in order to watch. There is a hack by changing the proxy server in WMP to a US public proxy server in order to get the license. Then you can watch in ZP, but only for 5 days. Welcome to the world of DRM and WMVHD. Luckily, not all the disks are like this. There is DRM on "Disk".

The point is I need WMP, and considering everything else I'm trying to implement, another audio player is not a high priorty.

I've got a Satellite card and a capture card for another Satellite system, DVDs, HDTV, audio, WEB, ..... All coming through the HTPC.

Wish I could get rid of MS, but can't. Although I did get rid of IE in favor of Firebird. Which is a good thing (if anyone is interested).

Thanks.
GatorMcNeil

Postby sp00head on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:15 pm

Have you tryed the new Zoomplayer WMV version?
sp00head

Postby GatorMcNeil on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Can't say that I have tried ZP WMV version, but I don't think it's worth it. I've already paided for TT ( and let's not get into TT vs ZP). They are both good, and one better than the other, depending on the version.

At the end of the day, I just want to get WMP9 working with xLobby.

Does anyone know how?

Thanks
GatorMcNeil

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:27 am

GatorMcNeil, how do you normally playback this DRM stuff?

are they just files and you double click them? I have no idea how this new microsoft DRM stuff works.
stevenhanna6

Postby GatorMcNeil on Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:40 pm

SteveHanna6

DRM is not a media file, stands for "Digital Rights Management". It's sort of a copy protection scheme the Microsoft is currently using on their High Definition DVDs (WMVHD) .
There are two versions that I am aware of:
1) "On Disk", Checks that the user has valid file and not a copy. Many of the new WMVHD, IMAX DVD disks have this one. I believe the DRM is somehow imbedded into the file on the DVD.
2) "Internet", Checks by internet ISP / Proxy that the user is valid and in the right DVD region in order to allow playing the DVD. "Terminator 2 - Extreme Edition" is an example of this one. You can read all about it on the http://www.avsforum.com. This one is particularly a headache especially if you live outside the US (I'm currently working in Saudi Arabia). So although I bought the DVD legitamately in the US, I am not allowed to play it because my internet connection is in the wrong region. There are ways around it though by changing proxies.

So the thing is I need to have Windows Media Player in order to watch these DVDs on my Home Theater. Since I have to have WMP, I don't see the need to add WinAmp. I can just use WMP to play mp3, wma....etc.

I'm new to xlobby though (I previously used MyHTPC, but I read xLobby is better). I believe my problem is in the Setup - File Types - Command Line Switches. I don't know the Windows Media Player command line to automatically play the mp3 files in the databases.

If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate the help.

On another subect, I know this is a far shot, but I work with a guy here in Saudi Arabia (Jim Hanna) -- any relation?

Anyway thanks.
GatorMcNeil