Jowaldo's skin - what would make it better?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

What should I change to the style of my skin?

Make it lighter
No votes
Get rid of the orange
20%
Get rid of the green
No votes
Get rid of the green and orange
60%
Make the blue's lighter
10%
Use textures instead of solid color shapes
10%

Total votes : 10

Jowaldo's skin - what would make it better?

Postby jowaldo on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:45 pm

I'm pretty happy with my skin all around, and have been updating a lot of the buttons and misc things to give it more punch, but it still seems kinda lacking in the style area in parts.

What do you think I could do to make it look better?

I've been playing around with the looks a bit, and colby made some of the buttons on the bottom right... what do you think?

jowaldo

Postby AtTheGates on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:32 am

I like that your skin does not use textures. Small download and is easy to change the color scheme. I've used your skin with lighter colors and currently have black and gray with some blue. I would like to see the buttons in a more universal color (black,grey,or white). That way I can change the other colors and it will always look good.
AtTheGates

Postby Aaron on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:59 am

I like the "updated" screen you posted here.

I do like the re-worked buttons that Colby did. Personally I like it without textures too, the semi-gloss look is nice.

The orange is fine and makes it different then other skins.

The one thing I did not like about the skin is the "divided" look with the white lines all over. Too much geometric looking for me.

Personally I think changing the layout a bit to be easier to use (specifically the music screens) and read with some minor graphical tweaking and it would be superb.

Also maybe adopting the "info everywhere" scheme where you can control and see the "now playing" info almost anywhere... maybe replacing the home theater image area with info or something.
Aaron

Postby jowaldo on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:39 pm

Affini wrote:I like the "updated" screen you posted here.

I do like the re-worked buttons that Colby did. Personally I like it without textures too, the semi-gloss look is nice.

The orange is fine and makes it different then other skins.

The one thing I did not like about the skin is the "divided" look with the white lines all over. Too much geometric looking for me.

Personally I think changing the layout a bit to be easier to use (specifically the music screens) and read with some minor graphical tweaking and it would be superb.

Also maybe adopting the "info everywhere" scheme where you can control and see the "now playing" info almost anywhere... maybe replacing the home theater image area with info or something.

Hmm that is one of the things I like about my skin is the dividing lines... I'll play around with it a bit tho.

What specifically is something with the music page that is hard to navigate?

I'm not sure about the info everywhere thing tho, because I have the same now/next playing and all the play/pause/etc buttons in the same place on all the music screens. I figured, why would I need controls for that stuff on screens that have nothing to do with music? I did music controls however on the picture viewer screen since I figured it would be nice to have music when you are doing a slideshow.

Thanks for the ideas, and post more if ya got em :)
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:23 pm

AtTheGates wrote:I like that your skin does not use textures. Small download and is easy to change the color scheme. I've used your skin with lighter colors and currently have black and gray with some blue. I would like to see the buttons in a more universal color (black,grey,or white). That way I can change the other colors and it will always look good.

Could you post some screenshots of what you changed the colors too?
jowaldo

Postby AtTheGates on Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:25 pm

I've changed the colors quite a few times. Currently it look like this: Image

I like the colors in the screen you posted so I might try something like that.
AtTheGates

Postby jowaldo on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:36 pm

Looks cool. Once I get the layout the way I want it a bit more, I'll start adding different color themes.
jowaldo

Postby Aaron on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:31 pm

I like the angled buttons on the Home screen... gives it a more stylized look then the standard grid or column list most skins have. Or even a curved set would look nice.
Aaron

Postby AtTheGates on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:43 pm

I also like the angled layout but it looked very cramped with the extra buttons.
AtTheGates

Postby jowaldo on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:41 pm

AtTheGates wrote:I also like the angled layout but it looked very cramped with the extra buttons.

You mean it looked cramped the way it was before, or in that new screenshot i posted with the new icons colby made?
jowaldo

Postby davidortiz661 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:13 pm

the color mods AtTheGates made look good, I just can't get used to the orange. I think simple is the way to go with htpc screens. Otherwise it is a great skin
davidortiz661

Postby jowaldo on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks... The main reason I used orange in the first place was I wanted a color that stood out, mainly for the top "tabs" on the music and movie screens when they are selected.

I'll experiment around with some more ideas...
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:42 pm

Ok here are some quick color tests... Let me know what you like best...

1: Image

2: Image

3: Image

4: Image

5: Image
jowaldo

Postby AtTheGates on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:34 pm

It really depends on what else is around it but on there own all the colors look good. How many themes do you think you will have?
I desaturated the buttons on my menu page and now it looks a little boring. Not sure if there were drop shadows already, but I opened the buttons in GIMP and added one. I like the look a lot better now. The image in the first post looks like there is a small shadow but I don't see it in the previews. Maybe you could add a second color to the button. I like the orange on every page except the menu where it is a bit intense. How about only making the outer ring on the button orange.
Ignore the font on the buttons. I was just checking out possibilites.

I like the orange when it is only seen in small quantities like the music page.

Edit: Just realized that I never commented on the first image. Looks to be a definite improvement. New buttons and colors look good and I like the small chnages in the layout.
AtTheGates

Postby jowaldo on Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:37 pm

Yeah thats a good idea of just having the outer ring of those buttons be orange. I like the gray colors you use, especially how you have it on the music page :)

And yeah I've added slight dropshadows to the buttons on the main menu. I just forgot to add them on those different color samples.
jowaldo

Next