Supporting Podcasting?

Got an idea, post it here

Supporting Podcasting?

Postby rbziggy on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:46 pm

Just been playing with podcasts on (not surprisingly) my ipod (with the latest version of iTunes). I pretty impressed with the way it works and thought it would be great to be able to listen in at home from the XL distrib system.

Of course you can podcast just with a PC so it occured that a good add on might be the ability to hook to a pc based podcast software that does the subscription and pickup bit.

I think there is no need for any dynamic link. For example iTunes can do the 'hard work' because it just downloads the podcasts to a direcctory. It's already easy to add another database 'podcasts' based on the music template to point to this download area. (I've tried it and it works fine as the podcasts all seem to have appropriate ID3 tags etc.)

'All' that's needed from XL is for an automatic periodic (say daily but configurable would be nice) update of the 'podcast' database. At the moment I think you need to do this manually (F2 etc). I'm not sure if this automatic update can be done or needs a bit of an extension to the functionality.

Views? (I think it would be good to keep up with the latest feeds!)
rbziggy