Help using USB-UIRT to control Sony CX777ES player in Xlobby

Help each other out

Help using USB-UIRT to control Sony CX777ES player in Xlobby

Postby SMH on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:55 pm

I recently purchased a USB-UIRT to allow full control of the player that was not possible with the generic 777ES plugin used to control using the RS-232 plugin. I was unable to use the "menu" and direction buttons and it was recommended to me to purchase the USB-UIRT to overcome this limitation. The question now is: How do I implement and use the USB-UIRT to control the 777ES player and all the functions?
1) I downloaded the plugin from the website, however, it is just a link to a forum entry that has a complete xlobby folder and not just the plugin. Is there a link to just the actual plugin? Where do you place the actual plugin file?
2) Once the USB-UIRT drivers are installed and the plugin is placed in xlobby, how do I go about implementing the USB-UIRT functions and the 777ES player commands? Is there someplace I can find the actual command files for the 777ES player? What area of xlobby setup is used to do this?
3) Basically, I want to use the USB-UIRT to control all the functions of xlobby "movies" and the 777ES player---hints and step by step would be GREATLy appreciated.
Thanks.
SMH

Re: Help using USB-UIRT to control Sony CX777ES player in Xlobby

Postby Cabnetguy on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi,
I am far from being an expert here but thought that I would try and help.
I googled your dvd changer to get info for it. It doesn't appear to have any I.R. remote control features, and is strictly RS232 control, so the USBUIRT will not help you here.
I did find this link with serial codes for your changer. http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php ... 0&forum=50 That should put you a step closer.
From what I read on a couple of forums, Sony will not release the codes to the public.

Also check out this thread from the Xlobby forum about controlling your changer here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5500

Hope this helps
Cabnetguy

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am

Cabnetguy wrote:I googled your dvd changer to get info for it. It doesn't appear to have any I.R. remote control features, and is strictly RS232 control, so the USBUIRT will not help you here.

That is incorrect. It has IR ofcourse. USBUIRT will help, but i would suggest to sticking with RS232, cause its more reliable.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby SMH on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Herein is my problem. With the RS-232 control and the generic CX777ES plugin, I am unable to get the functions, such as "menu", "top menu", "select", and the directional buttons to work propertly. Other functions such as "power on", "power off" and "play" work fine and I know how to set them up, but the other do not. I was told on this forum awhile back to invest in an USB-UIRT as someone was having the same problems when using the RS-232 control. If you know how to get around this and just use the RS-232, please let me know. Otherwise, I will have to learn out to set up the USB-UIRT so that I have FULL control of my DVD changer with the xlobby interface.
Thanks.
SMH

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:15 pm

SMH:

Sorry I have been away since the direction of XL has been up in the air.
SMH wrote:I am unable to get the functions, such as "menu", "top menu", "select", and the directional buttons to work propertly.

I do not use this function since I rip all the menu content out of my movies before I install them into my 777. However, I have had problems with CX-777ES receiving commands properly. One simple idea would be to change your IR command to repeat more than once, see screendump.

1) go into your setup screen
2) go to the IR plugin device
3) select the menu command
4) change the repeat count to 2

Shot at 2007-07-19

Let me know how it goes.
sharp_1

Postby SMH on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Sharp,

Thanks for the reply. I attempted to change the repeat number, but with no avail. Here is my take on the problem as a whole--perhaps there is a possible solution or work around (I hope). The problem is that when I load a movie with the Buddabing skin that I am using by clicking on the "play movie" button found on the interface, it does a great job of communicating with the changer and loading the appropriate movie using bat files; however, as soon as this happens, the Sony player itself will not accept any of the "menu", "top menu" functions, not even on the actual player itself. I know this because even if I try to use the actual buttons on the player after loading a movie using xlobby, it will not work. It would appear that the plugin or othewise sends some command(s) to the player that is somewhat corrupt and does not allow these functions to work once xlobby has attempted to communicate with the player. This is critical for me as I would like to access the menu for screen selection and special features, but with my current skin and setup, this is impossible either from xlobby or on the unit itself. I originally thought that a USB-UIRT might solve my problem, but I have no idea how to get around the "play movie" event of the skins that loads the movie from the proper slot of the DVD changer. There seems to be no way around using the "play movie" event found with the skin and with this event, I lose full control of the Sony player in regards to the "menu" function. Has anyone experienced or overcome this issue? Xlobby was my alternative to DVDLobby ,which comes with a substantial cost and less attactive interface, in my opinion. The big plus, however, was that DVDlobby had its own CX777ES plugin and worked really well using RS-232 control. With just this generic plugin needed for xlobby control, it is much more difficult to fully control the Sony DVD player in a natural manner. Perhaps the new version of xlobby will fix this issue, but I would really like to find an answer this problem that will work with my current xlobby setup. I am not sure I would find anything different with another skin as perhaps it is the fault of the generic plugin and I dont think there is any alternatives to that plugin anywhere. If you have any ideas of what to do with this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Without a workable answer, this xlobby setup does not work as a usable control interface for the Sony CX777ES player and movie selection.
Thanks for any assistance.
SMH

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Idea: Play a movie, then try to press stop button once then the menu command and see if that works to bring up your menu. Let me know if that works and we'll make some changes to your play movie button event.

Make sure your .bat file looks something like this:
Menu command:
d:\777\sony_cx777es COM1 27
sharp_1

Postby SMH on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Sharp,

I tried pushin stop and then the menu button, but no success. The menu button simply "pauses" the movie and when pushed a second time, starts back. It seemed that pushin stop first, then menu would work; but now it simply restarts the movie at the same spot and doesn't brin up the menu.
The menu bat file appears to be correct as you provided.
Thanks for your continued attempts to assist with this issue.
What else can I try?
SMH

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Can you post your bat files for play and menu? Also post a screenshot of what you menu event looks like in the setup module? Zip and email your bat files to me at sharpDOT2006ATyahooDOTcom

Thanks!!!
sharp_1

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:12 am

Sharp,

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you but it has been a busy summer. My
"menu" bat file is the same that you provided me sometime back regarding
the codes for the Sony DVD player. I have since went to the USB-UIRT
learned function and it works, except when I press the "play movie"
button, the "menu" function will revert back and not work properly again.
I can send you the actual copy of the bat file if needed, but it will be
the same as you suggested months ago in terms of code and directing works
it from the events category. I am really wondering if there is some other
way to perform the "play movie" function that would correct that bug or
even simply work around it. It seems that no matter how I configure the
menu function, when the "play movie" function is performed--it will
somehow corrupt the Sony player and the menu and directional buttons will
not work. I appreciate your continued attempts to look into this and
spending time with this issue. I am still hopeful that this will all
"work" sometime soon as it has been sometime of attempting to get this
setup to work fully and properly. Please advise if there is anything else
you would like me to do or provide to help with this. I am unable to do a
screenshot of my events page, but I could possibly describe it for you as
it is pretty basic.
Thanks again for the help.

OK, lets try a different approach.

Setup your an additional "play movies IR" event with a IR play and menu commands from the CX777ES instead of the RS-232 command and see if that works. Make sure to change your actual menu button in your skin to this new event we created.

If your 777ES remote works to play and goto menu screen then xlobby should have no problem doing the same...we should be able to just bypass the RS-232 for this solution.
sharp_1

Postby SMH on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Sharp,

"If your 777ES remote works to play and goto menu screen then xlobby should have no problem doing the same...we should be able to just bypass the RS-232 for this solution."

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but I finally got some time to really try some things with this issue. First off, the quote you provide in the last post and listed above is the real essense of the problem. Once the "play movie" function has been used to load a particular movie, EVEN THE REMOTE will not work properly with the "menu" function. For that matter, the actual "menu" button on the unit itself will not work once this "play movie" button has been used. Therefore, the suggestion provided above did not work. After the "play movie" button has been used, the "menu" button becomes the "pause" function and will only pause the movie until pushed again.
Here in rests the real issue: How to bypass the "play movie" function so that it does not scramble the 777ES player and therein the "menu" function. I followed the post above regarding using strictly IR functions to control the player. I may be able to get this to work, but this is not nearly as good a solution as the RS-232 control that the 777ES player has on it.
Perhaps you could look closer at this "play movie" function and how it can be "changed" to not interfere with some of the controls of the 777ES player.
An interesting note on this: I had the previous problem of having some discs that would not load properly because of some copy protection issues (I forgot the actual name). Because of this, I wrote individual bat files for each movie and added some delays to allow the movies to load properly. That is now fine. However, when I load one of these movies that in essence repeatedly hits play when loading to allow it to play, the "menu" function WORKS properly. When I load one of the other movies that does not have the loading issue, it does NOT work properly. Perhaps I could change each bat file to match those with the copyprotection issue, but the problem there is that I have to see "play" appear on screen repeated during the loading of the movie. I would like to avoid this if possible, and not sure if would shed some light on the actual issue.
In regards to the "directional buttons" issue, the only problem is that it will work, but when you reload xlobby and get back into the movie function screen, it "forgets" the functions and have to be reset. Is there something wrong that I am doing with this and why would it forget this with each reload?
Thanks again. Perhaps someday those that control the 777ES with xlobby (free version) can enjoy full control of the machine.
SMH

Postby sharp_1 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:42 pm

As I said before. To get what you want you will need to go the IR direction...the sony_cx777es.exe can not be changed to fix any bugs, the author is not working on it anymore.
sharp_1

Postby SMH on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Yes, I understand that. Everything is fairly easy to use IR for (everything that is functional with the remote or changer), with the exception of the "play movie" in that the changer has to recognize the slot to play for each particular movie viewed with xlobby. Using the "play movie" via the RS-232 seems difficult to work around and change to IR because of the amount of key presses needed to actually select a particular slot number. It just will not seem as seemless as a typical commercial product. In the end, this is just disappointing that xlobby (at least free version) is unable to control the 777ES player fully with RS-232 control--which is a major plus over IR. I converted to xlobby from DVDLobby thinking it could fully control the changer via RS-232. It is probably just a bug with the generic plug-in, but I wish xlobby had a separate plug (as with DVDLobby) that would control the 777ES players and offer some support for it. I will have to attempt the process explained in another forum regarding the control of a player without RS-232 capabilities. Again, in the end, it is just disappointing given the fact that the Sony player has this capability and xlobby can not fully take advantage of it. Perhaps the commercial version will address this.
SMH