control xlobby with smartdisplay

Speak your mind

control xlobby with smartdisplay

Postby ingalls on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:48 pm

Hello, I would like to know if somebody arrived to control xlobby with a smartdisplay or another touchscreen (no ppc).
Can he give his experience?
Thanks,
ingalls

Postby Aaron on Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:32 am

I've though about it but have not bought one yet... I really hate buying a unit that costs so much without knoing if I'm going to like it.

It really needs to be able to turn the screen off but still stay "live" on the 802.11b network so to not need to do the reconnect that takes so long. Otherwise it is not a true remote "replacement" in my mind.

Anyone have experiences?
Aaron

Postby Heiko on Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:12 am

Ingalls,
I've made experience with both; a viewsonic airpanel and a 7" touch-display. I prefer the touchscreen solution because the Airpanel doesn't work as touchscreen if it's in the docking station. The connect time of the airpanel is unacceptable (about 20 sec.)
Heiko

Postby ficklma1 on Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:49 pm

Heiko,

That's only true with the V150 - 15 inch Airpanel. The V110 - 10 inch model works as a touchpanel in or out of the dock. I don't understand why Viewsonic decided to have one behave differently than they other.

I currenly use my V110 Airpanel(purchased it for under $400) with Xlobby. I currenlty only use it to control my music library(on the PC) and control my A/V Receiver via IR (UIRT USB, I select the Zone and volume). I also use it to control X10(via Xlobby and Girder). I've been told that with a dual output video card, that it's possible to use an interface such as Xlobby and still have the DVD output through the other output of the video card. I'd like to know if someone here on this forum has "actually" done this.
ficklma1

Postby ingalls on Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:55 pm

The 110 doesn't connect via VGA. The 150 loose the touchscreen when he is connected via VGA... :cry:
I'm going to tell you if it is possible to do something intersting with it because I want to buy one.
I've heard that the philips desxcape was touchscreen with dock (via VGA/DVI + USB)
And in a few month, philips will sell a wifi.g model!!!
ingalls

Postby Heiko on Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:29 pm

Ingalls,
if you want my V150 with dock send me a pm. I've decided to sell it the next days on ebay.
Heiko

Postby ingalls on Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:33 pm

I just baught one!!!
thanks.
ingalls

Postby ICE51 on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:15 pm

I've done the dual display route with a 8" Lilliput touchscreen. I have it hanging off of the Dvi/VGA port on a Radeon AIW 75k. Then the S-Video out 'screen' of the AIW runs up to a Channel Plus modulator.

Works pretty well. Biggest thing is using apps that remember which monitor they last started on so when it cranks something up its on the correct screen.

I've only recently done this and haven't worked all the kinks out yet. Looks promising so far though!

:shock:
-ICE51
ICE51

Postby Aaron on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:36 am

do the smart displays have the ability to stay 'on' and connected to the wireless network but turn only the screen off?
Aaron

I've lost my v150 software

Postby CaM on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:00 am

hi guys, I've lost the software disks for my V150p software. Could some kind soul please send me the connection part to my email address

mailto:cam_logan@yahoo.com

CaM
CaM

Postby jimmyb on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:58 am

I use both the v110 and v115 with my xlobby. Both connect to computers running fat clients so I get full animation. I set both computers up with the mutiple connection hack.

The 10" unit sits in its cradle next to the couch by the big screen TV. I also installed the free Nevo remote to control that TV and Surround sound.

The 15" is mounted on a wall frame I built on a closet wall. Ran the power cord thru the wall and plugged into a socket in the pull chain socket in the closet.

Both units control my music, and x10 lighting. They both have rotating screens at the start screen (Default skin) that I use as a screen saver. These screens display weather radar images, traffic cams, and info from my weather station.

The delay I see posted only seems to happen because I am running other apps on the same computer. Never had a 20 second delay. Slight delay with x10, but liveable. Only complaint is I reboot the displays at least once a day because they seem to lose connection.

All in all I am pleased with both the appearence and use. BTW, I remove the 10" from the cradle and then use it to control my Sagetv client on my laptop, while watching in the hot tub. Nice dual purpose touchscreen.

Hope this helps.
jimmyb

Postby CaM on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:52 am

hi Jimmyb, did you use the original software to make the connection to xp or is it possible to just use the software built into xp to do this (i.e. remote desktop)?

I've got the hardware but I don't have the connection software anymore.

Did you download the software from somewhere to make these connections?

thanks for your time.

CaM
CaM

Postby jimmyb on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:06 pm

Yes, I remeber loading something called smartdisplay?? It shows on my programs loaded. Let me know if you need it. I am sure we can work something out.
jimmyb

yes, I need it please :)

Postby CaM on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:08 am

hi there jimmy, yes I need it please :)

it is a small install application - maybe even just one compressed install file. This is needed for the smart displays to 'talk' to windows. If you could find it and email it to me (mailto:cam_logan@yahoo.com) then I'd be very grateful :D

thanks for your help.

CaM
CaM

Postby mike-r on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:55 pm

CaM,

You shouldn't need the software to connect. With XP Pro and XP Media Center you just need to enable Remote Desktop. Go to System Properties and under the Remote tab and check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer. Make sure the user has permission to connect and make sure the firewall is set to allow Remote Desktop.

I have a V115 and didn't install software on any of my computers. I think the software might just give you additional information, like battery status, in the taskbar while connected?

Hope this helps,

Mike
mike-r

Next