Zoneskin3 Release - Final Public Update 12/9/07 www

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 pm

scalt wrote:Regarding the PPC thin client with VAC setup, which I also want to implement in my skin, I was thinking of using 2 different screens.

First screen, you select the Source, it then brings you to another screen or an overlay where you select the different zones. This way, you can be assured that you only have 1 source selected at a time.

Just a thought...

EDIT : An advantage of the 2 screen approach for the PPC is that screen real estate is much more limited. It would probably be way to crowded to have everything on 1 screen with a PPC

That's a good idea, may be a much better/cleaner solution than the one I posted on my post :D

Marbles_00 wrote:If you go to the KX Drivers website, they have a card compatibility list. Worth looking at before you purchase a Live/Audigy.

I picked up a SB0100, I think, for $5 off ebay and it works great for 3 zones and a partyzone, I think you should copyright "partyzone" Marbles. :lol:
scottw

Postby scottw on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Marbles,
How are you syncing your 7 zones together (whole house). I know you were using the 0/1 of the KX drivers but that won't do all 7 of your zones right??

Just curious :?:
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 am

I was planning on using the the idea from this thread. What I'll do is assign both 0/1 outputs of my CL cards to two different output .dll of that instance of winamp utilizing the multi-output plugin.

Now a friend of mine tried it with four outputs and he noticed periodic skipping, then gradual zones falling out of sync. I might have better luck with just running two outputs.

If that doesn't work, that friend mentioned above also is putting the finishing touches on a Winamp plugin that will do multiple outputs. You can check off what outputs you want to attach and even control the volume of those outputs. He indicated that it is spot on in sync so he may give me a version to try. He's waiting to find out if Xlobby will go open source, then he will create the plugin to be control directly within Xlobby.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:03 am

Cool, that is actually what I was using for 2 of my zones. I did have the sync problem before only after the first song finished but that was with 2 different sound cards. It worked fine with my SB and KX drivers. Was your friend using different soud cards??

That winamp plugin sounds promising. It would be cool to have it as a plugin for XL. This could replace the VAC method if you can control volumes for each zone and select outputs on the fly.

Thanks,
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:17 am

Okay just a little update.

I'm mostly done the main parts of the skin. I just have to clean up the zonemap. I also have to finish off the PPC screens.

I recently installed my CL Live 5.1 and I'm experimenting with the muliout plugin. I noticed that it seems to go out of sync on my almost every song...but only a little. The start of the next song, it seems to be synced back up. This is using the Direct Sound outputs for KX 0/1 of each card. At times it is worse than others. I'm going to play around with the Wave outputs, and then get into those drastic buffers...see if one of those help.

I've also have to get back into playing around with kXd, Pervhub, and Xpert so I can complete that portion of the skin, and finally get it functional for both cards (fingers crossed).

It's getting closer to full release, hopefully in a couple more weeks.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 am

Cool...

My sync problem using the multiout was in perfect sync on the first song and I think if I manually switched to another song before it ended. As soon as the first song ended and started the next it was out of sync.

Don't know if it helps but I have no sync problems using the VAC setup.

Keep us posted, love the skin!!!!
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:05 am

Actually, I've been playing around with using the waveouts instead of direct sound outs, and it's been alot better. I do notice a small lag from one zone to the next, but it stays consistant. This lag could also be the fact that where I'm standing, the sound from one set of zone speakers are reaching my ear, before the sound from the other zone set. It's late, the family are all in bed so I didn't want to crank it.

Overall, it shouldn't be noticable too much as I'm using the 0/1 outputs of two CL cards. This means that one 0/1 output is driving the speaker outputs in my livingroom, familyroom, backyard (eventually). The other 0/1 output will drive all the speakers on the second floor. I figure it will be most noticable when going up/down that stairs between the first and second floor.

I still could muck around with the buffer settings still.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:34 pm

So you are only getting a lag between cards/floors. I was getting a lag walking from one room to another, and was most noticable when you could hear the music from both rooms, off sync, enough to drive you nuts.
If yours is seperated between floors I too would not be bothered by it.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Yeah, I've dedicated the 0/1 input of the KX FXBus from each CL card to go to all the mixers and drive all the output from the Epilog. Each card will be dedicated to a floor (somewhat...Familyroom is actually in the basement). In the end, I will have 7 individual zones, two "Party Zone" dedicated per floor, or one Whole House "zone" that I'm going to use the Wave outs and the multi-output plug.

If the rooms were adjacent, then this setup would not be acceptable. It would drive me nuts too. I also figure, that besides me playing around with it once its all setup (and ocassionally showing off to neighbors and friends), the Whole House zone most likely won't get used until my kids think that they will get away with having a party when my wife and I go away...but that (hopefully) will be far off in the future.

It's pretty slick, if you look at my screen shots, I have a mainfloor toggle that will sync the Livingroom/Familyroom/Backyard, and indicate this in the zonemap. There is also an Upstairs toggle that will sync the Bathroom(Masterbedroom)/Bedroom2/Bedroom3, and indicate this in the zonemap. The Whole House toggle will stop all the other zones, un-toggle the two floor zones, and then play the Whole house zone.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:47 pm

That sounds cool can't wait to see it.

I have been messing alot with toggles lately as well. I never realized how cool and useful they were :D

What program did you use for your zone map. I want to add this but am "graphicly challenged".

Thanks,
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:25 pm

I used Visio (it really sucks), and I think I cleaned it up with Photoshop. It's a .png file that resides in the button directory. All the green room highlights were also made in Visio. Over each room is an invisible.png (transparent image) file which is utilized for touchscreens. It allows for individuals with touchscreens to actually press a room and show zone information on that room, since they don't have mouseover effects (I totally assuming that, as I don't have a touch screen).

I'm planning on doing up a whole entire document on how to use the skin, and how to setup the zonemap for other layouts. It may not be released at the same time as the skin, but hopefully it will help eleviate alot of headaches for others to transfer the skin for their own usage.

*EDIT*
You can try GIMP. It's not as powerful as Photoshop, but has alot of features that you may be able to use to get the same effects.

Oh and now I remember, using Visio, even though I tried to take out fills, the background of the rooms would not go transparent. So I had to use Photoshop to take out any background colour, so only the house walls remained filled with black, and my skin "blue screen" would show through the rooms.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:31 pm

That clears it up thanks. I look forward to seeing it.

Good Work!!
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:13 am

Skin has taken a little longer than anticipated. I've achieved the following:

PervTalk concepts.
Majority of main screen.
50% PPC screen completion.

The skin is now migrated from my test machine to the music server so I can complete the volume control with the KX drivers and PervTalk. I've got some unique ideas in my head also, which now that the skin is on the music server, I can try out.

I was targeting this weekend for a release, but it may not happen. More realistically it may be as late as next weekend. It also may be an uncompleted version with a few bugs to iron out still.

Once I get some of the volume stuff integrated, I'll put up some more pics of it. I, for sure, would like to get this one idea completed, as if it works as I planned, it will be pretty slick looking, and add a ton of functionality.

More on it later.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:50 am

ZONESKIN3 Release

View first thread for details, updated pics and download link.

Document included in how to setup the skin.

If you have any questions, please ask.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Wow this looks great, more than I thought you would have. The documentation is excellent, I am still reading thru it and learning alot. This will be a great skin for people just starting to get into KX and Pervtalk (like me) to learn on.

You did an excellent job and are a valuable member of the XL community. :D
scottw

PreviousNext