Multizone setup with external inputs

Speak your mind

Multizone setup with external inputs

Postby scalt on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:08 pm

Hello,

I've been meaning to set-up a multi-zone audio system for my house and I have found XLobby a couple of days ago. I've been experimenting with it and I have a few questions.

Here are my requirements :
    * Computer based w/ Wifi for Control
    * Multiple zones (5)
    * Input types (for each zone. Independant control)
    *** MP3
    *** FM Radio
    *** Audio CD
    *** Internet Radio
    *** External devices (ie Tape Deck, Intercom PA, MiniDisc, Microphone)

From what I can tell, XLobby allows for most of these. With multiple sound card, for example 2 Audigy2 ZS, the project KX drivers and a 12-channel AMP, I should be able to take care of the multi-zone playback. As for the FM Radio, I beleive I should be able to achieve it using a PCI TV-Tuner.

The only thing I can't seem to find information on is the external device inputs. I know it's possible to control such devices with USB-UIRT, but I can't seem to find information regarding the "Line-In" interface of a sound card and a multi-zone set-up.

Basicly, I'd like to be able to redirect the "Line-In" to one or many zones. Is this possible?

Thanks
scalt

Postby rhinoman on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:25 am

I use line in to feed a shoutcast server to broadcast on my internal lan. You then create a play file command which points the independent winamp/foobars at the url of the stream.
rhinoman

Nircmd

Postby timwarner on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Nircmd

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

This utility has the function to set volumes and mute/unmute various parts of muliple cards. I use it to turn the line in (sky tv in my setup) on/off for 3 soundcards (3 zones) in one machine.

It is a very good tool with lots of features, worth a look
timwarner

Re: Multizone setup with external inputs

Postby rbziggy on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:02 pm

scalt wrote:
The only thing I can't seem to find information on is the external device inputs. I know it's possible to control such devices with USB-UIRT, but I can't seem to find information regarding the "Line-In" interface of a sound card and a multi-zone set-up.

Basicly, I'd like to be able to redirect the "Line-In" to one or many zones. Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes you can use the line in without any difficulty. I use line in to pull in an external digital audio broadcast (DAB) radio with IR control via the USB-UIRT. Before this I used a regular FM radio the same way.

You can access the line-in via winamp itself as it recognises the line in feed. In XL you command this feed using an event 'play file' wit the parameter "line://".

There is a winamp plugin which I found that allows you to do a few extra bits to the linefeed like displaying a title in winamp which then shows in XL just like the normal track details would. Combined with a XL database you can use this to display the station details in winamp. (Although note here that you have to set up these details, its not taken from the line in feed itself!)

The line in feed can be played simultaneously to one or many zones at the same time.
rbziggy

Postby rbziggy on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:14 pm

Posted a bit too quick there.

Audigy 2 ZS (as you have clearly noticed) will 'only' give 3 stereo pairs. So you need 2 of these cards but this will give you 2 line ins as well! It may therefore be possible to access both and hook up 2 external devices (e.g. 2 radios to allow different channels). I'm not sure on this as I haven't done it yet (even though I have a second ZS card ready to install myself).

I bet you never use Audio CD or other external devices once you have got everything stored digitally - it's too much like hard work. But radio /internet radio is different... :D
rbziggy