Now using WMP11 with XL2PC!!! BUT...

Help each other out

Now using WMP11 with XL2PC!!! BUT...

Postby bsteed on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:33 pm

Ok, I know WMP11 is not free, and has far less "cool" features than Zoom Player. But here's my situation:

I already own a new MCE Remote and Receiver, that works great with WMP11 and XLobby2 for my movies, seperatley (works in XL and controls movies, once manually opened via explorer, within WMP11). I have no need for Girder, HIP, replacement DLL's, etc. If I use Zoom Player, now I either have no remote, or I have to go download/buy software, learn it, then configure it. It just seems like programming XL2 to launch WMP11 in fullscreen seems like the more efficient, and cleaner route.

I went into F2-Setup>File Types, and for avi I have it set to wmplayer.exe, with a command line switch of '' "%parameter%" /fullscreen '' then checked "enabled".

This launched all my movies perfectly into WMP11. :D

But, not it fullscreen. So I began sniffing around in the WMP11 options and found a checkbox (disabled by default), reading: "Keep the Player on top of other windows" within the Player Tab. So, I checked, it.

This did have an effect. The fullscreen is initaited, but closes back down to regular size after about 2 seconds. No Clue why. Once I solve this, I am ready to take everything to my HTPC for use! PLEASE HELP!

I think XLobby is taking back window focus once the movie is launched. My taskbar blinks orange for windows media player, as if it is not the focused window. WTF!!!!
Last edited by bsteed on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bsteed

Re: Now using WMP11 with XL2PC!!! BUT...

Postby lar282 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 am

just exit XL and try it without XL, then u will know if it works or not.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby bsteed on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Well I've messed with it a little more, and I'm still not 100% yet. I don't know if the problem is with WMP11 not giving itself focus when it starts (can't imagine why MS would do that), or if it is with XL2PC pulling the focus back after it launches it. I don't know hwo to test it without using XL2. I've never done command line stuff before.

I do know, that as soon as it opens the movie, if I just click once, anywhere on the movie, before it goes fullscreen: that it will not exit fullscreen. It works. So whatever the problem may be, if I can give WMP11 focus, the problem is solved. Sorry bout the commas, still getting my cofee down. Long night.

Where else, besides in the F2Setup of XL can I test the launching of the movie in fullscreen command line stuff?
bsteed

Postby bsteed on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm

So I plugged in my remote and reciever to start working on my navigation directions, defualt buttons, etc., as the fullscreen bug was really holding me up. I figured I'd just come back to it.

Came accross something unusual. As I browsed to the movieviwer screen, and hit enter on my MCE Remote, it took it a second, so I hit it again (about 3 times impatiently). It launched my movie fullscreen, and stayed fullscreen!

So, I tried it again, but only pushed "Enter" once. Opened into fullscreen, then collapsed back to typical size. The problem is definatley that WMP does not keep (or even get) focus, oddly enough. By hitting enter again, at the perfect time, i can get it to stay fullscreen. It's the only possibility.

SO I NEED TO FIGURE OUT: How to, with a command line, or a plugin, or something-- how to control that. Please. There has got to be Windows guys out there. Anyone have any ideas?
bsteed

Postby lpg on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:43 pm

For doc purposes here are the command line parmaters for WMP 9+.
Window Media Player Command Line Parameters.pdf
(52.71 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

I tested this in XP. What you do is click on start - at the bottom of the menu on the right you will see "Run". Click on that. Type in the windows command like: wmplayer.exe "c:\017_fantasy_loop_01.wmv" /fullscreen

Your window will look like this:
Win Media Player Run Command.jpg
lpg

Postby bsteed on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Thank you! It is a problem with WMP11. I have no way of testing it on WMPC, WMP9, or WMP10. For some strange reason, as soon as you open any document with WMP, in fullscreen, or windowed, it pulls focus off the window.

This means you have to click it to even ALT+ENTER (fullscreen) or ALT+F4 (close). It is so damn annoying. I just went and downloaded HIP, and have started toying with HIP. If I can get HIP to work seamlessly with ZoomPlayer and my MCE remote, I'm fine with it. To hell will WMP11.
bsteed

Postby lar282 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 am

bsteed wrote:Ok, I know WMP11 is not free,

Just curious. when u say not free? What do u mean. I just go to windows update and install it. Free for me, or is it not Windows media player 11 u mean?

//Lasse
lar282