Just some photo's of XLobby running in my livingroom

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Just some photo's of XLobby running in my livingroom

Postby Arthur on Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:08 pm

Hello,

After the bathroom photos by Bristolman I will post some photo's of my XLobby setup, which is running in the livingroom. It is really amazing how good it works (runs for days).
I don't tell people how it works, I'll just let them play and they all get the hang of it very easy (I only have to explain the home button on the top right). (Thanks Steve / Jowaldo).
As I could not get EPG running the way I wanted it, I use a webpage with channel information.

Besides XLobby & winamp I use:
- Girder 3.2 and a small proghram "sendfocus" as I had problems when I tried to set focus to a window http://home.tiscali.nl/vannoort/xlobby/sendfocus.exe
- Click-N-Type, a free program for an on screen keyboard. You can even create your own keyboard.
- gphotoshow, a nice screensaver. It mixes the photo's slightly and if I add a new folder to the photo's folder It will automatically add those foto's to its cycle
- a program to check the clock of my computer, I noticed the computer time looses about a minute by the hour when xlobby is running.

In order to prevent 2 programs creating sound at the same time I added the following:
When a page with sound is opend (music / radio / TV) a termination signal is send to the other 2 programs. I find this better then termenating the sound when you leave a page. For instance, I I listen to a CD and want to watch the whether, no need to turn of the Cd, however, if I want to switch to radio, I don't want to have to turn of the CD first.

Ok, and here are some photo's, if they don't load, just have a look at:
http://home.tiscali.nl/vannoort/xlobby

Things I still want to improve/ add (top of list)
- A classical music section
- Using master volume control instead of winamp volume control

Arthur
Arthur

Postby jowaldo on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:51 am

Very cool... its nice too seeing my skin used like this :)

I noticed most of the screens have an abc button in the top right corner... is that for filtering whatever screen/category you are on?
jowaldo

Postby Arthur on Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:21 am

The abc button is to start the on screen keyboard. I only use a touchscreen. The keyboard is needed on many screens, so I figured it should be in the top bar.

Arthur
Arthur

Postby ThE ScReW on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:57 am

nice dude ;)
ThE ScReW

Postby jowaldo on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:27 pm

Arthur wrote:The abc button is to start the on screen keyboard. I only use a touchscreen. The keyboard is needed on many screens, so I figured it should be in the top bar.

Arthur

Thats a good idea :)
jowaldo

Postby jmv on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:33 pm

I just added a touch panel to the kitchen...how do you get that ABC to work?
jmv

Postby Arthur on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:13 pm

Wow, kitchen, now we only need to have garage, garden and basement :D

basically you need to create an event which shows the on screen keyboard.

I created an abc button (http://home.tiscali.nl/vannoort/xlobby/abc-button.zip), just put the button in the "button"folder of the skin you are using. Ofcourse you can also use other graphics for your button

On your computer you need an on screen keyboard program. In windows 2000 and XP it comes standard (search for osk), but you can also download click-n-type for free. (program I use)

Now create a new event in the event manager (hit F2 to get there). There are 2 ways of doing this. You can just add an "os" event to open an external application. This way xlobby will open the on screen keyboard (but it won't check wether the on screen keyboard is already open, so you might end up with multiple program windows open) or you can use girder to open the application. I use girder because with girder I can check whether the program is already open, but just needs to be brought to front. If you want an example, here is the girder file I use (http://home.tiscali.nl/vannoort/xlobby/radio2.GML) In the event manager of xlobby I added an event to send a command to girder.

Now all you have to do is to tell xlobby that when th ebutton is pressed it has to start this event (use pause key --> event --> assign event)

I hope this might help.

Arthur
Arthur

Postby summerall on Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 pm

Aurther -

How did you get the baby webcam working? What webcam are you using and how does it connect to your pc? I want to do that!!!

Thanks
summerall

Postby Arthur on Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:23 pm

It's an axis 205 webcam. This a a cam with a LAN connection (not an USB cam). It doesn't need to be connected to a computer.
The reason I chose for a LAN webcam is that an USB cam can only be aprox 5 to 8 m away from a computer. With LAN the cable length is much more (50 or 100 m?).
As it is has it's own built in server, you can just link to it like any other webpage in XLobby. It is real easy to use. I also use it to show images on my homepage.
The axis 205 cam can only be used indoors (When used outdoors (in the sun) it gets damaged, so they sat)

Arthur
Arthur