VLC Users: How can I open a DVD Folder with no menus via XLo

Help each other out

VLC Users: How can I open a DVD Folder with no menus via XLo

Postby mistadigga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 am

VLC Users,

Any idea how to do this?

Yes, I'm aware of the other options out there to play DVD folders (ie. Theatertek, Zoom, etc...etc...), but prefer to use VLC, because quite frankly... its FREE! :-)

Here's the deal...

I am able to successfully play DVD folders that contains menus (aka full dvd-rips) by simply assigning VLC to play ifo files in XLobby.

However, when trying to play a DVD folder that does not contain menus (aka the movie only), VLC launches, but fails to commence playback of the movie.

Searching the net, I've found the following command-line to deal with actual DVD discs that don't contain menus:

% vlc dvdsimple://[device][@raw_device][@[title][:[chapter][:angle]]]

That said, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the comand line would be for DVD folders that don't contain menus. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

-J
mistadigga

Re: VLC Users: How can I open a DVD Folder with no menus via XLo

Postby wesblack on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:50 am

-J

What file extension is the file your trying to play, is it a standard .vob file or a mpg file. Check in setup under file types for the VLC player and make sure it has your file type under extensions.

example: ,.vob,.mpg

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby mistadigga on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 am

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the help. :D

Just double-checked the setup...It it's trying to play the VIDEO_TS.ifo file in my movie's VIDEO_TS folder.

The strange thing here is that movies I do a full rip of, will play in VLC or TheaterTek with no problem.

However, movies I do a "movie only" rip of, however, won't play in either application.

Any reason why my video playback applications should treat these 2 types of DVD rips differently? (Seems neither TheaterTek nor VLC like "movie only" rips, as I've now tried both).

-JP
mistadigga

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:07 pm

What ripper are you using? It almost sounds as though the ripper program is not re-writing/editing the .ifo file when doing an only movie rip for some reason. What you may try and do is edit the .ifo file for one movie yourself using ifoedit (to see if that works). If it is the .ifo file not properly being edited, then maybe you should look at a different ripper program.
Marbles_00

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 pm

I do all my DVDs as "movie only" using DVD Fab and they play just fine in TheatreTek (we're talking about 300 movies so far and a couple of hundred individual TV episodes) I agree with Marbles' assessment, sounds like the .ifo is messed up somehow
cmhardwick

Postby mistadigga on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks guys...actually, I'm using DVD Fab via the XLobby DVD Copy plug-in, so knowing that its working for you guys, I think I can probably rule the .ifo file out.

That said, I've figured out how to open "movie only" dvd's in VLC via the command line in windows:

vlc.exe dvdsimple://H:\movies\Poseidon

Now how do I incorporate that command within X-Lobby? Should I create a new event for this command? Or should I just stick this in the File-Types/command line switch field?

Furthermore, what do I put in place of "Posiedon" in the command line.

I tried...

% vlc dvdsimple://"%movies>parameter%"

...but that didn't work.

-J
mistadigga

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 am

Your program (under file types) would be (full path) to the vlc.exe file
extentions would be .ifo,video_ts (standard for dvds)
command line switches would be dvdsimple://"%parameter%"
And make sure it's enabled of course (not highlighted in yellow)

Try it and see if that gets you working.
cmhardwick

Postby mistadigga on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:20 am

Thanks cmhardwick... that worked like a charm!

Lemme just say that part of what makes this software so damn cool, is the community that shares it in this forum. Thank you to everyone who helped chime in. :-)
mistadigga

Postby cmhardwick on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Great!! Glad it worked for you (since I was shooting in the dark partially as I've never used VLC hehehe)
cmhardwick