Jowaldo's Skin 4.2 - UPDATED 02/08/05 www

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby DeanB on Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:51 pm

Lovely Skin !!

My wife thinks its great too - and we are currently using Beta3 on our Bedroom touchscreen.

Couple of queries if you dont mind.

1. The Help and Lights images on the front page dont seem to be transparent and are blocking the back image button.
2. From the help page the 'menu' button top left doesnt seem to allow you to return. I had to go into files to get the button to operate to get back to main screens.
3. I've installed a new xlobby.exe as the one i was using doesnt work - i now have a window bar across the top with a close 'x' in the corner this causes the whole of Xlobby to move down - not specific to your skin, but it doesnt work without this version of xlobby.exe - older version doesnt show bar.
4. How can i change the favourites, and home within the internet page ?
5. (Last one) - Can you give a simple (read idiot) guide to getting the other weather plugin to work.

As i say excellent skin - its the only one we've been using with Xlobby !!

Thanks

Dean.
DeanB

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:35 pm

DeanB wrote:Couple of queries if you dont mind.

Don't mind at all... and thanks for the complement :)

1) I'm not having a problem with those images.. they are transparent, so I'm not sure what the problem could be... Could you post a screenshot so I can see what area exactly is blocking it?

2) Fixed for next release! ;)

3) I know that some people have had this problem with the latest exe, but I'm not 100% sure why. I'm sure Steven will fix this as soon as he can.

4) There is no quick easy way to change the favorites (and with the latest skin layout I still haven't really fixed it) You have to go into setup (f2) then to the "event manager" tab and go to skin>webbrowser then you will see the favorites events listed there... you can change them there if you want, but you will still need to change the text on the skin with the skin editor (pause/break key)

5) First download the xoapweather plugin (which I made my skin to work with) It can be found here..

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xoapweather/xoapweather1.1.zip?download

extract it to your xlobby/plugins folder

It should be extracted into a subfolder like this xlobby/plugins/xoapweather

under that folder should be a images folder and unzip these http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5215175/ straight into the root of that images folder

Then start up xlobby, hit f2, goto the plugins tab, select the new plugin, and configure it... its pretty self explanatory...

if you need any more info about that plugin, check this thread out..

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1894

Hope this helps!
jowaldo

Postby DeanB on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice

This is the screenshot of the odd buttons

Other observations which you're probably aware of

If you select open in the music section the up/down list of albums does not seem relate to the list on the main page ?? - perhaps i'm using it wrong.

The favourites, and navigation page dissapear under the browser on the internet screen.

I miss the minimize button on the homepage as your previous skins.

A little one, if you mouse over an album or photo when you come off it, the background around it turns black, but if you scroll down the album/photo list the next page has the corresonding location with a grey background again the same as if you mouse over.

Top skin, and still my favourite - so happy i've now replace myHTPC, with XLobby and your skin on my HTPC.

Thanks

Dean.
DeanB

Postby jowaldo on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Hmm.. that is really strange how those images on the buttons look like that on your computer. I haven't seen that problem before. Is anyone else seeing this too?

- About the music open overlay, when you scroll up and down, I just happened to notice that yesterday, and I will fix that.

- The favorites on the webbrowser screen is an overlay from the previous version of my skin where the layout was different. Overlays (technically anything) can't be on top of a browser screen.. thats just the way xlobby is. I'll play around with the layout and figure something out..

- I just added the minimize button.

- With the mouse overs for the pictures screen, I don't think there is much I could do to change that.. thats the way xlobby works when something is un/selected.

Glad you like my skin!
jowaldo

Postby greyjackal on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:11 pm

Yep, I'm getting the non-transparent icons on the bottom two buttons as well.

Re the web browser - have I just been blind or is there no way to actually close it?

Due to the overlays sitting behind it, I can't figure out a way to leave the browser without guessing the position of a button on the main menu.

Gorgeous looking skin by the way :)
greyjackal

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:44 pm

you should be able to at least see the "home" button on the overlay to be able to get back to the main menu. I'm gonna mess around with the way that screen works later today, so I'll see what I can do.
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:46 am

Here's something I've been working on.. trying to make my skin more customizeable straight from the skin... A lot of people have asked for different color buttons on the main menu and other places. I did that, but I wanted there to be an easy way for the user to change it from the skin..

So this is what I got.. it not only changes the color/style of the button(s) but also the background semi-transparent image that overlays the color shapes that make up the background to give it more of a textured look. Also there is an option now for a more of a gradient dark to light look instead of the light horizontal "bars", or no texture at all, because I noticed on regular tvs the lines from it make it look pretty bad..

Here's some screenshots, and its all 100% functional and available from the help menu. I want to make some more color and texture options available, but once I do (soon) I'll post the updated version. I've also done quite a bit of work on the ppc screens too :)

jowaldo

Postby sp00head on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:24 am

dude, that is really nice !!!
sp00head

Postby gingellr on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:59 am

Skin just keeps getting better and better!

Looking forward to the updated PPC screens as this is my main way of using it.

Thanks

Richard
gingellr

Postby ScottRat on Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:42 am

That is a great feature!

Excellent job.

Scott R.
ScottRat

Postby DeanB on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 pm

Have you released to changes to beta 4 ?

I downloaded from the link on the first page, and it still seems to be the original beta 4

Thanks

Dean
DeanB

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:57 pm

Not yet... I want to make a few small changes, and double check a few things, then I'll post an update.

I'll try to post one this afternoon.. the ppc screens won't be 100% done, but its a huge improvement from the last one I posted.
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:30 am

Ok, as promised, here is my updated 4.1 skin... This includes fixes mentioned earlier in this thread, and the new style change feature. As always, make sure you are on the latest exe http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip

Also the ppc screens have been updated somewhat, so that it fits somewhat better with the new style. I have lots of little things to do on it still, and I just started on the ppc pictures section.

And for anyone having the problem where the lights and help icons on the main menu had a white border around them, are you still having this problem with this new version?

As always feedback appreciated :)

http://www.xlobby.com/files/jowaldo/jowaldo4-1.zip
jowaldo

Postby DeanB on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:11 pm

Looking good - has fixed the two non transparent buttons at the bottom on the front page. Nice to see the minimize back too.

I'm having a dim moment though, as i cant work out how to make the style changes take effect ??

Dean.
DeanB

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:06 pm

DeanB wrote:I'm having a dim moment though, as i cant work out how to make the style changes take effect ??

Dean.

Did you go to the help menu then, click the styles button? From there all you have to do is click a button or texture style and it will change it.. you'll see a preview at the bottom of the screen once you click it.
jowaldo

PreviousNext