How large of an XML database can Xlobby read

Help each other out

How large of an XML database can Xlobby read

Postby drew on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:46 am

I have a database thats over 600K and whenever I start xlobby, it crashes. I was wondering if my database if to large and I need to break it up into smaller chunks....

I'm generating my own xml movie database using a php script. I know the script is generating correct xml, because I can load 1 or 2 movies and xlobby starts fine.....

Thanks
drew

Postby Colby on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:56 am

I betcha you got bad characters or something invalid. My music database is 3740kb and loads just fine. Size isnt the problem.
Colby

Postby BaddaBing on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:18 am

I agree with Colby, its definitely not the size of your databases that is causing the problem, my music DB is 6,884 KB ( 17000+ songs 8) ) and XL loads it with no problem.

Your problem is most likely 'illegal characters'. Look for (') apostrophes, (#) pound and (&) single ampersands in your databases as they are illegal characters/values in XML field names and will cause the problems you are experiencing. The fact that you can load one or two movies just means that the error isn't in the first two entries :wink:

I.E.

This is bad a bad XML title -> Joe's_#4 concerto_for_banjo&flute

This would work -> Joes_number_4_concerto_for_banjo_and_flute

The easiest way to do this would be to open your music.xml database in notepad and just do a search one for each of the characters (', #, &) and if you find an entry with the offending characters - go to that mp3 file and edit the title to remove any illegal characters - then either re-import or edit the XML DB to match the new name.

For those of you looking for more detailed programming info on legal/illegal XML characters refer to this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml
and look at at section 2.2.
BaddaBing

Postby Twit on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:10 pm

I find the easiest way to find bad 'parts' of an xml database is to load it into 'internet explorer' - It will bitch about all the wrong lines.
Twit

Postby ingalls on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:15 pm

I have a 10.000 database for recipies, it works without any problem
ingalls

Postby drew on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm

I found the problem. When I generatied my database, there were html encodings and ampersands, which caused xlobby to crash. I modified my script, to remove strip out html and &'s. Now everything is fine....
drew