NEED OPINIONS: Do you think this would work?

Speak your mind

NEED OPINIONS: Do you think this would work?

Postby Aaron on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:32 pm

I'm considering getting an all-in-one PC (Gateway Profile 3) to run XLobby on. And 'maybe' put Homeseer v1.7 on it to. My HS 1.7 runs on a P2-500 w/ 384MB right now, just fine.

The Profile 3 is P3-933 with 512MB RAM (it does not expand past 512). I'm planning on running WinXP Pro.

I'd like to set it up to run multi-zone audio. It would need to be via USB sound cards... can I have 4 or 6 zones using USB audio card with XLobby?

These also have CD Rom, Parallen, serial, PCMCIA Type II slot, etc

Give me your thoughts and experiences running on a simular powered PC.

thanks!
Aaron
Aaron

Re: NEED OPINIONS: Do you think this would work?

Postby dalanik on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:57 am

Until recently I had a 1.3Ghz P3 PC /256 and later 512 mb RAM, and it was a bit slow... could ofcourse run audio and video without stutter, but sometimes running a video player or moving through menu could be a bit slow.

If you want really smooth running HTPC, you should get at least 2Ghz CPU PC.... (if you can).

I'm not sure about multizone audio, since I don;t use it.

D.
dalanik

Postby Aaron on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:43 pm

I was not thinking of running video with it... just Multi-Zone audio and Homeseer... thus also using xAP to display and control Homeseer with XL.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey Aaron,

I'm currently running Xlobby on a P3 733 with 396Megs of Ram. I'm using a Soundblaster live 5.1 and the KXDrivers along with 4 instances of Winamp (Version 2.94). It runs multizoning pretty smooth. The only problem I could forsee with your hardware, is that you will have a problem with synching all zones. My setup works for about a song, then it starts to go out of synch when using Steven's Xlobby synch command. What I have done is create my own command event, taking advantage of the KXDrivers, and that works rather well. The other thing about that computer is that it is the main workhorse computer currently, so there is alot of extra stuff running in the background. I'm slowly putting together a 1.7Gig P4 strictly for a multizoning server. Things may be even better then.

Check out towards the end of this post:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3931
for what people are now starting to realize it could be a hardware constraint. Disregard its title as it appears to be turning into a syching problem as opposed to a crash issue now.

Also check out this post:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3714
which Steven, in the end, links to the post above.

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00