Two new PocketPCs coming soon, perfect for Xlobby/Netremote

Speak your mind

Two new PocketPCs coming soon, perfect for Xlobby/Netremote

Postby smurgle on Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:52 pm

For those who are interested in using the PocketPC features of XLobby and/or Netremote but don't have one yet or are looking to upgrade.

There are two new compact models coming soon with built-in wifi and all the other nice modern features (transflective screen, bluetooth, PPC2003 OS, SDIO, etc.).

One is the HP 4000 series due Oct.31 2003. See here for more info:
http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_Launches_Two_New_iPAQ_Models

The other is the Dell Axim X3 due around the same time if not sooner:
http://www.brighthand.com/article/More_on_Axim_X3_Next_Week
smurgle

Postby Hiller on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:05 am

smurgle, since I haven't caught you on IRC lately I thought I would ask you here. I'm basically in the dark when it comes to PPC's as I have never owned one. does the HP have some benefit over the Dell? The Dell one is pretty cheap and seems to basically have the same functionality but didn't know if I was missing something. When I know which one I want I'm going to put an order in for it. I've been waiting a bit for these to come out as you know and now that my projector is here XLobby is going to start being used full time :D

Thanks,
Steve
Hiller

Postby smurgle on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:34 am

Hiller, the main differences are:

The HP is a little smaller and sleeker.
The HP has Bluetooth, the Dell does not. BT is useful if you want to, say, connect it to your cellphone to browse the web wirelessly on the go. And so on.
The HP comes with image slideshow software and Dell does not (this is not a big deal though, you can buy such a thing pretty cheaply).
Dell probably has somewhat better customer service if something goes wrong.

The HP costs about $100 more, taking into account the current 10% off deal at Dell.

They are both shipping now (by tomorrow at least), and you can order them both already.

Note: the Dell Axim "X3i" is the one that has the wifi, don't get the cheaper one by mistake!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
smurgle

Postby smurgle on Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:29 pm

I would be remiss if I didn't mention one more device, for you folks who have too much cash lying around.

The Toshiba e800 will be available in 1-2 weeks at $600.

What is compelling about this device is that it has a very large screen (4" instead of 3.5"), a very heavy duty battery, dual memory slots (CF and SD) as well as built-in wifi.

It also lets you drive an external monitor, and has voice command!

There are many rumors as well that it has a 480x640 screen rather than the usual 240x320. No one can confirm this for sure however yet. The website says 240x320 but that is WinCE native resolution, there are FCC documents saying 480x640 as well as photographs of the device that seem to indicate it has it.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0950847706.1066922391@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcjjldjmemcgfkceghdgngdglj.0&comm=ST&plin=PDAs&pfam=PDAs&poid=263419&Adoid=140417

EDIT: I just got confirmation today that it DOES have a 480x640 screen.
smurgle