if it would be up to u...

Speak your mind

...format war would be won by

HD-DUD
17%
Blu-ray
33%
Neither. Future is purple. THD and chimera hybrids end the war.
No votes
Neither. I keep my (t)rusty DVDs.
17%
Neither. DL is future. BTW i voted the pirate party.
21%
I dont care. I just buy both.
13%

Total votes : 24

Re: if it would be up to u...

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:35 pm

cmhardwick wrote:just get one of the new MEGA EXPENSIVE players that plays everything ...

Wonder why anybody would bother, u could almost get both players for two zones as separates for price of one of those...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Studio anal is releasing some frenchie stuff on blu... If this means that formerly DUD exclusive studio is turning into blu... Its much bigger news than loosing piramount... sounds like war has come to D-Day... Liberation of france has begun 8)

EDIT: hopefully french resistance keeps us updated how the war is progressing... and where to order french titles...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:04 pm

CiXel wrote: if a 300 HD changer came out, that would make life easier too ;0

u ask, sony delivers!!! :P :P :P

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/09/05/sony-intros-the-hes-v1000-media-server-and-200-disc-blu-ray-play/

ööhh anybody wanna buy little used kidney? :(
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby CiXel on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:02 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
CiXel wrote: if a 300 HD changer came out, that would make life easier too ;0

u ask, sony delivers!!! :P :P :P

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/09/05/sony-intros-the-hes-v1000-media-server-and-200-disc-blu-ray-play/

ööhh anybody wanna buy little used kidney? :(

Yeah, I saw that. Certainly an interesting Box. 196 full size Blue Ray discs with some form of proprietary sharing. But while I realize it's more than a changer, the $3500 price tag seems quite steep... I guess they figured the bigger they made the box, the more they could charge. Damn! Well at least there is a first attempt at some form of changer. I suppose I can only REALLY hold out for Pioneer deciding they'll make a Combo unit changer, cause you know Sony won't give in. Perhaps LG will find a new niche ;)
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Come on people.... this is the Great war of our generation

Is this what u plan to tell your grand kids :

Your great great granpa beat nazies in WWII
Your great granpa spend his whole life in sweatshops to keep wheels of economy turning to fund winning of senseless cold war
Where as i wussied out the format war
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby CiXel on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Yeah, I saw that. Certainly an interesting Box. 196 full size Blue Ray discs with some form of proprietary sharing.

Turns out Sony's HES-v1000 doesn't share/stream anything but audio. Ahh... wishful thinking :?
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:34 pm

Haa, i just got lifetime ban to blu-ray.com would u believe it :D

There just couple uptight oldies who think every new member somehow should show them respect automaticly... first they hound me then they rat me. With no doubt AVS-escapees.

Go there join Blu-Bloods and wreak havoc amongst infidel reds. if not atleast those threads should make entertaining reading.

Your unbiased ;) war correspondent, here from the trenches.

Anyways way to go Blu-Ray!!! yeah keep banning every new member... and keep your AVS-shit tea club... im sure ull be winning war!!! HD-DUH!!!!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:35 pm

:lol: :lol:

That's funny!! Way to go P3rv!!!!
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:29 am

yeah my second incarnation got banned too under handle P3B3... Can they catch my third? :D

EDIT: got banned fourth time now... admin even tried to ban my ip... like that would stop bear for a second... im starting to think these people dont like my charming personality... :D

EDIT: aahhh all admins should be like steven... This place is like second home...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 am

WAR IS OVER!!!

Now its time for every lastone of u slowpokes to start to use DVDs for target practise and go get PS3 before they run out of them at local store, cause every last redneck and all their cousins will rush to stores tomorrow... Warner went blu-ray exclusive so HD-DUDs will soon be spotted only at war museums. For all HD-DUD owners out there i can only say u fight well to the bitter end, and i hope u happen to live near river, so u can easily dump all that red crap.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:44 am

I just bought the LG Blu-Ray & HD HDVD drive. I do not care about the war anymore.

But for those that are wondering there are alot less problems playing back Blu-ray than HD Dvd
lpg

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 am

lpg wrote:I just bought the LG Blu-Ray & HD HDVD drive.

:shock: EEEK now thats real biblical problem waste to dump... u just gotta halve that baby :?

I didnt take any other losses out of this war except i panic bought some of overprized paramount titles cause i thought it might be last possibility to got them on blu if war rages on... well its ofcourse just a little, but it makes me feel sad that gold went to coffers of studio, which thought that inferior solution is enough for us!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby CiXel on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:40 pm

While I would be pleased to have a single format, and admit Blu-ray is technically the better format/technology on paper, my 2 concerns with it are a) They keep changing their profiles ie. they just came out with their 1.1 profile, and 1.2 is on the way, so player backward compatibility is a concern of mine. B) and WAY more important for our community, was that there was at least with HD-DVD a provision for a "managed copy" which does not exist within the Blu-Ray spec. That will make our efforts to be compliant HTPC users that much more difficult.

A side note about PS3 as a blu-ray player, while the nice part of it is that you can update the software to support new 1.1 profile, just realize that it does NOT support the new lossless audio formats like True HD and DTS-HD. It can't output a bitstream format.
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Very valid points there cixel... im not gonna tackle the managed copy issue, cause i dont really know it so well, but i believe we have some kinda legistlation about of it here in EU so i believe they need to tackle it somepoint...

about the profiles and PS3 as a player though... now that war has ended the game is just really starting, soon its starting to make sense to buy real dedicated player, when 2.0 players come out and into reasonable price range. (ill be personally looking for those 3D players or megachancers to replace PS3 eventually) So far it has made sense only to get PS3, its wartime player really and only future will show if they can make old war steed to evolve to accomodate those peace time necessities like advanced audio codecs and three dimensionality. 8)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 pm

I thought the dedicated players had internet connection to provide update capability.
lpg

PreviousNext