Play Random Video

Got an idea, post it here

Play Random Video

Postby a06lp on Fri May 05, 2006 1:40 am

What I Want To Do:
Create a button called "Play Random":
Pressing the button at any level will add a random queue of that level and below.
Ex - If I navigate to TV\Scrubs\Season 3, and then press "Play Random", and all the eps from scrubs season 3 will queue up in random order.
Ex2 - If I navigate to TV\Friends, and then press "Play Random", it will queue up, in random order, every episode of Friends.
Ex3 - If I navigate to TV\, and then press "Play Random", it will queue up, in random order, all my episodes in all the seasons of all my shows.

Basically, it should work like the music shuffle button, but it should work for video, too. (I personally use Media Player Classic for video playback).

I hope I properly explained myself.
For more info on my setup, click here
a06lp

Postby tswhite70 on Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 pm

I know you're using Media Player Classic but if you want to do this today you can use Zoomplayer. Using it's /QUEUE and /RAND options you can pass it a path and it will queue and randomly play all the movies/media.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby a06lp on Mon May 08, 2006 2:52 pm

Thanks, tswhite70.

I'd still like the feature in Xlobby, though.
a06lp

Postby chipsahoy on Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 pm

+1
this be a great ideas.
chipsahoy

Postby a06lp on Sun May 14, 2006 2:19 pm

is there any news on this, Steven?

Just today my wife asked me how to watch a random episode of Sex and the City.
(I told her it's one of the few things I'm still working on... Please help me!)
a06lp

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed May 17, 2006 11:35 pm

+ 1 more. I've thought about this for a while now! :D
Roscoe62

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 am

a06lp wrote:
Just today my wife asked me how to watch a random episode of Sex and the City.

AAAARRGHHH!!! run man, run while u still can!!!!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby a06lp on Sun May 21, 2006 6:18 pm

bump. :oops:
a06lp

Postby Roscoe62 on Tue May 30, 2006 10:47 pm

I have to bump this again. My wife would LOVE this feature!
Roscoe62

Postby buymeapc on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:41 pm

BUMP!

I'd like this feature, too.
buymeapc

Postby abobader on Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi,

I normally do not reply to others suggestions if I do not see it fit my need.

But this as my point of view, I sure see the idea fit for music collection, but for tv show? let say I randomly season 5 of a show, and it play the last episodes and that the end of that season, then the first one, will look funny tho :) as some season depended on each others, like "lost".

Sorry for my bad input for this, but totally personal point of view.

My best.
abobader

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:13 pm

abobader wrote:But this as my point of view, I sure see the idea fit for music collection, but for tv show? let say I randomly season 5 of a show, and it play the last episodes and that the end of that season, then the first one, will look funny tho :) as some season depended on each others, like "lost".

Theres two kind of shows or "tv series": those which episodes take u from point A->B and those which goes from A->A, i think theyre suggesting feature for shows in latter category, like simpsons, why theyre called tv series, beats me :)

But more on subject matter: "random" variable in xPert allready does this for any category.

EDIT: oh sorry, u wanted everything qued... that only happens if u use xPerT in conjuction with ZPd (it contains the video que)... with just xPerT u can only play one random episode from any category or nested category.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby abobader on Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:45 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
abobader wrote:But this as my point of view, I sure see the idea fit for music collection, but for tv show? let say I randomly season 5 of a show, and it play the last episodes and that the end of that season, then the first one, will look funny tho :) as some season depended on each others, like "lost".

Theres two kind of shows or "tv series": those which episodes take u from point A->B and those which goes from A->A, i think theyre suggesting feature for shows in latter category, like simpsons, why theyre called tv series, beats me :)

But more on subject matter: "random" variable in xPert allready does this for any category.

EDIT: oh sorry, u wanted everything qued... that only happens if u use xPerT in conjuction with ZPd (it contains the video que)... with just xPerT u can only play one random episode from any category or nested category.

Hey P3rv3rt,

That explain it then, I see the point now :)

I think it time to fully check xPert plugin now with these option in it.

My best.
abobader

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 pm

If u wanna test it:

this gives u filename of random movie among all movies:

Code: Select all
plugin>xPerT>random>movies>parameter

if you have category named "movies" where theyre displayed

in general, form is:

Code: Select all
plugin>xPerT>random>CATPATH>FIELD

where CATPATH is either one cat or consecutive path of daisychained cats, so it can be forexampl "music>musicdetails" as well as "movies". (if we use "music>musicdetails" meaning is random song among whole music collection, if we use "musicdetails" instead meaning is random song from selected album.)

and FIELD is name of attribute we want to have returned from that randomly selected item, using "parameter" is logical choige if u want to play something ;)

Dont use this for music though... its way too slow... unless u use for random song from one specific album or from one specific artist. Or to generate random album from your whole collection... but generating random song from your whole collection is defenetely too big of an operation for currently available verison of xPerT.

EDIT: also before somebody tries it... dont but random variable on screen. Its way too slow for that, only use it in commands.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby el_cabong on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 pm

this is how i have it set up, but it is for zoom player

for my movies catagory, i have it que all files in a random order, then start playing from the beginning with the event being:

/rand:0 /sort:6 "/queue:h:\movies" /q

and for my tv shows and other misc video, set up as \show\season\episodes

/rand:0 /sort:6 "/queue:%tvshows>path%" /q

^^ this will que what i have selected in a random order and start playing...

ie: if i have "scrubs\season 4" highlighted it will que all season 4 in a random order and start playing or if i simply just have the scrubs folder highlighted, it will que all seasons in a random order and start playing
el_cabong

Next