Read this before asking any (stup!d) questions

Speak your mind

Postby dalanik on Thu May 04, 2006 9:57 am

Jowaldo, I really thik we need a FAQ in the forum somewhere (in nice visible big red letters) we have a bunch of people asking basic questions now, and nobody seems to bother to read the docs. A sort of sticky in the bugs and feature requests topics....

Just MHO...

D.
dalanik

Postby art on Thu May 04, 2006 3:08 pm

There are no stup!d questions, only stupid answers, but I do agree on the FAQ sticky....
art

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu May 04, 2006 3:26 pm

art wrote:There are no stup!d questions, only stupid answers

I beg the difference... see this poster, his questions are just getting dumber and dumber over time :

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491&highlight=
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2805&highlight=
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3239&highlight=

just couldnt resist ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Read this before asking any (stup!d) questions

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 04, 2006 4:42 pm

dalanik wrote:Jowaldo, I really thik we need a FAQ in the forum somewhere (in nice visible big red letters) we have a bunch of people asking basic questions now, and nobody seems to bother to read the docs. A sort of sticky in the bugs and feature requests topics....

Just MHO...

D.

I agree, lets get a list of links together first though. Also I'd like to do a bit of updating on some of the documents too first. Some are so old I think it would confuse people more than help them.
jowaldo

Postby sonofdbn on Sun May 07, 2006 1:25 am

If it's not too OT - there don't seem to be version numbers for the various .exe files. As we know (and appreciate) there are lots of updates, but it would surely be helpful if we could have version numbers. It's confusing enough with Pre-release, Xlobby2 and now xlobby2screentest.

So many answers seem to start with: have you downloaded the latest exe? Or posters struggle to verify if they're both using the same version of the exe.
sonofdbn

Postby Colby on Sun May 07, 2006 1:43 am

sonofdbn wrote:If it's not too OT - there don't seem to be version numbers for the various .exe files. As we know (and appreciate) there are lots of updates, but it would surely be helpful if we could have version numbers. It's confusing enough with Pre-release, Xlobby2 and now xlobby2screentest.

So many answers seem to start with: have you downloaded the latest exe? Or posters struggle to verify if they're both using the same version of the exe.

I think that we dont use version numbers anymore since now there is an about tab in the setup menu. This will tell you the date, and time of the version you are using.
Colby

Re: Read this before asking any (stup!d) questions

Postby abobader on Sun May 07, 2006 5:53 am

jowaldo wrote:..... Also I'd like to do a bit of updating on some of the documents too first. Some are so old I think it would confuse people more than help them.

Totally agree here, before I register in the forum, I been doing seach for like 2 weeks or so without getting what I am after, so howto, TUT, Doc badly need it.

My best.
abobader

Postby dalanik on Sun May 07, 2006 8:01 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
art wrote:There are no stup!d questions, only stupid answers

I beg the difference... see this poster, his questions are just getting dumber and dumber over time :

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491&highlight=
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2805&highlight=
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3239&highlight=

just couldnt resist ;)

First two are not documented (or were not documented at the time of writing) and the third one is a bug, not a question...

Sorry, but I really don't understand the questions i.e. indicating the the person doesn't know how to enter the editor or setup. That's really basic stuff WELL documented... and indicates that he/she didn't even glance at the docs...

D.
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun May 07, 2006 2:12 pm

dalanik wrote:
First two are not documented (or were not documented at the time of writing) and the third one is a bug, not a question...

Yes, i only had really quick glance of your older posts and just pick few which sounded bit noobish, point (if there was one) was just jokingly remind that even granpas were newbies once.

Sorry, but I really don't understand the questions i.e. indicating the the person doesn't know how to enter the editor or setup. That's really basic stuff WELL documented... and indicates that he/she didn't even glance at the docs...

D.

When u put it this way (with example)... have to admit that u r right.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby art on Sun May 07, 2006 5:09 pm

This is not only rude and insulting, but stupid in itself and it’s anything but inviting to any new user that sees post like this.
The fact that we have many basic questions only means that new users didn’t find answers (for whatever reason) and that we do need FAQ and/or some “readme.txt” file in the download zip file and/or maybe help file …
art

Postby dalanik on Sun May 07, 2006 5:45 pm

art wrote:

This is not only rude and insulting, but stupid in itself and it’s anything but inviting to any new user that sees post like this.
The fact that we have many basic questions only means that new users didn’t find answers (for whatever reason) and that we do need FAQ and/or some “readme.txt” file in the download zip file and/or maybe help file …

Well that's what I said - that we need a FAQ or something. As far as political correctness is concerned - I'm very opposed to that, sorry. Things should be called their names.

D.
dalanik

Postby Colby on Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm

I think there could be a FAQ, but isnt that what the forum is? I tend to side with dalanik, some questions are stupid. Mostly all simple stuff is answered easily enough, and seldom asked. It is when these questions get asked you wonder are people stupid, egocentric or just lazy. Maybe this should be labled "too lazy to look" questions. But these people would never see it.

Whoever compiles a FAQ have fun. It will take some well experienced people to explain Xlobby correctly,otherwise it would confuse more than help. But then again, these experienced users may not know what kind of simple less obvious questions there are.

I am finishing my new skinning document currently, which has a lot more helpful information than before. And I believe it is clearer. Maybe I will work on a FAQ next.
Colby

Postby art on Sun May 07, 2006 5:51 pm

dalanik wrote:... As far as political correctness is concerned - I'm very opposed to that, sorry...

Political correctness has nothing to do with that, it's just a simple respect ...
art

Postby dalanik on Sun May 07, 2006 8:15 pm

art wrote:
dalanik wrote:... As far as political correctness is concerned - I'm very opposed to that, sorry...

Political correctness has nothing to do with that, it's just a simple respect ...

From my point of view, respect from the other side means getting to know the basics before posting questions. As was written, we are were beginners with this program, so it's logical that we all needed help at certain time. But since I am on the forum, I don't remember we had so many questions of type "what is keyboard"? :-)

regards,

Dalibor
dalanik

Postby art on Sun May 07, 2006 9:53 pm

It's really beyond me why you trying to find excuses for calling people, that you don't even know, 'stup!d', but I guess that's not really my problem, so I'm out.
art

Next