booting the HTPC

Speak your mind

booting the HTPC

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:19 am

Little off-topic, but I thought someone might know....

I finaly have dedicated HTPC (bought a new laptop, so old one is becoming HTPC), and I'd like it to bot straight to XLobby. This works OK, it autologons, runs Litestep and then XLobby, everything fine.

The only problem is that I can't set the TV as primary monitor (Right now I have to press hotkey combination to switch from builtin LCD to TV).

Is there a way to automatically switch to TV (secondary monitor)? When PC is turned on, it displays "windows loading" on TV, but once it gets to logging, it switches to LCD.

The graphics card is ATI (and software) so if anyone's familirar with it and knows how to achieve this.... help would be greatly appriciated :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby ThE ScReW on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:19 pm

Plug out the LCD and just link your computer to your tv, start your computer and test it, normally it works !
ThE ScReW

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:42 pm

ThE ScReW wrote:Plug out the LCD and just link your computer to your tv, start your computer and test it, normally it works !

I would if I could... It's a Laptop (notebook) :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby ThE ScReW on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:56 pm

Take your chainsaw .......... 8)
ThE ScReW

Postby lar282 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Girder event on startup maybe?

//Lasse
lar282

Postby jowaldo on Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:15 pm

With most ATI cards you can go into the advanced section of the display drivers, and set a given display device as a primary one.. You will see each display device show, and blue buttons underneath... Thats where you set if its a primary or secondary device...
jowaldo

Postby dalanik on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:13 am

jowaldo wrote:With most ATI cards you can go into the advanced section of the display drivers, and set a given display device as a primary one.. You will see each display device show, and blue buttons underneath... Thats where you set if its a primary or secondary device...

This is exactly what's unclear to me, how to set it up... I managed so far to set it to hotkey and it works... I don't know whether it's possible to set TV as primary on a notebook... I don't know when this ATI program is initialized, probably after logon...

D.
dalanik

Postby Vince_B on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:20 pm

I do this now with girder and the ati drivers. In the video advanced properties, you need to get both screens working before doing this, just fiddle around with the displays tab until both are lit up. There is a tab where you can name the profile and assign it a hotkey, such as ctrl+alt+[alpha key]. Now test it, boot up where only the lcd is on, the hit the hotkey combo, and it should light up both screens. Now setup girder to send this combo on boot, and you're done. Test also to make sure that if you do a standby or hibernate style shutdown it works when starting up if applicable.
Vince_B

Postby lar282 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

lar282

Postby dalanik on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanx I'll give it a try.
D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:44 am

It works. Just one thing though; how do I setup Girder to trigger the keysequence at startup?

Right now I send keypress to girdr from another program that boots on startup, then girder sends keypress to ati sw and it works fine.

I tried creating trigger in girder for xlobby2.exe, but then it runs it on every category change etc.

Is there a way for girder to execute command on startup without any external triggers (keypress, program lounch, program window topped, etc)?

Thanx,

D.
dalanik

Postby badubo on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:38 am

you have a specific event in girder that is triggered when girder starts

look in the combo box where you select events (sorry I haven't girder right now)
badubo