Remote suddenly stopped working

Help each other out

Remote suddenly stopped working

Postby rembetis on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:55 pm

My main setup has been very stable for quite some time now, yet today my remote stopped controlling xlobby. The UIRT plugin is acknowledging reception of commands, that are properly associated as triggers, but nothing is happening. I also use a touchscreen, which is working fine, and UIRT is transmitting signals to other components properly.

I also seem to have lost focus on startup again, though I'm using the latest .exe. I don't think these two things are related, because after I get focus I can use my wireless keyboard to go left/right/up/down/enter, but the remote that is recreating these exact same commands is not being picked up. Batteries have been replaced and the remote is working normally otherwise.

Any ideas? I'm feeling awfully frustrated at the moment...
rembetis

Postby badubo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:45 pm

I don't know if it is related, but the name of the xlobby window has changed.
badubo

Postby rembetis on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:11 am

Don't think that's related (I'm not using Girder or any Window/Class sendmessage style events).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the UIRT, updated drivers, and tried relearning commands. All I've managed to get is a blip of reception with sends, say, the "up" command many times quickly, then nothing further.

Sounds like my UIRT might be dying, no? Weirdly, all transmit functions are working fine, "Learn" still works fine, just no Xlobby control.
rembetis

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:42 am

do you have an older copy of xlobby? if it works with an old copy its something I did....I dont think I touched anything to mess around with the IR code though.

From what I know about the usbuirt, it has 2 infared leds? one transmits and one receives.....so one working and the other not kinda makes sense...I'm sure if the ir receiver is shot you could find a replacement part for cheap and fix it your self if your good with a soldering iron.

I just rememebered I have an exe for testing a usbuirt, it should work but its pretty old so no promises.

http://www.xlobby.com/trydrv.zip
stevenhanna6

Postby rembetis on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 am

Well, some new data but I can't really parse it :?

- I uninstalled the UIRT from my HTPC and hooked it up to my office machine, which is running an .exe from 07.28.05. Learned navigation commands and remote worked fine.
- Tried to use that .exe on my HTPC and load stalled at Databases
- Tried .exe's from Jan., March, and April, and July '06 and it stalled at Settings

The above implies the problem is skin related, and I did have a power outage a week or so ago that corrupted some files (which I thought I fixed), but I also installed a separate instance of Xlobby on the HTPC, using Default skin, learned the navigational commands (which are "triggered" to navigation events by default, correct?), and still couldn't use the remote.

I'm going to retrace my steps today, repeat some trouble shooting, and try that UIRT app you provided Steven, but this one is a real mystery...
rembetis

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:14 pm

I found the bug, I introduced it a week or so ago. It should work as usual now....if you notice anything let me now because I had to fix a multithread bug that may cause unexpected results....I dont think it will though.

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip
stevenhanna6

Postby rembetis on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Oh thank god :D

Seems to working fine again. Thanks a million Steven. You rescued me from a tailspin of frustration that threatened to take my whole house -- wife and kids included -- in a collateral crash and burn. I had reformatted my remote, swapped out usb ports, rebuilt my Xlobby setup from scratch, and was beginning to rethink my entire cooling strategy (on the odd change the UIRT was overheating). Amazing how fragile one's home entertainment bubble can become...

OK, time to mow the lawn...
rembetis

Postby tomprout on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:50 am

Hi ! I still have the same problem. To be able to use USB-UIRT I have to shut down my PC and restart it. Then I start Xlobby and it works but after some hours, USB-UIRT does not work anymore...

Second question : Can standby operation on my HTPC disturb USB-UIRT driver ? Because I run a program which automaticaly standby my PC after 3 hours of inactivity.
tomprout