Working conversion of DVDProfiler 3.x to 2.x.

Speak your mind

Working conversion of DVDProfiler 3.x to 2.x.

Postby jryan1776 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 am

FYI, there is a secondary program that Tom Gaines created to convert version 3 xml to version 2.4 xml... It does work and will allow us to continue to use older XLobby versions until the newer platform is more stable. Refer to the link at the DVD Profiler forums.

http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=175000
jryan1776

Re: Working conversion of DVDProfiler 3.x to 2.x.

Postby thekochs on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 pm

OK....sorry for the dumb question but I'm running DVD Proifler 2.4 with the last free XL. I see there is a BETA for v2.5 but v 3.x blindsided me...was not aware. What does Profiler 3.x give you over 2.4 ? Just curious why I should change, especially if XL has to have the XML DB converted first. :?

Thanks !
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:50 pm

part of it is that 2.4 will not update the profiles anymore for movies, so the database is going to get out of date as new movies come out. That's the main thing. I haven't moved to 3.0 yet because of the import issues and hadn't seen this cool solution. I'm going to try it tonight if I have time.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 pm

cmhardwick wrote:part of it is that 2.4 will not update the profiles anymore for movies, so the database is going to get out of date as new movies come out. That's the main thing. I haven't moved to 3.0 yet because of the import issues and hadn't seen this cool solution. I'm going to try it tonight if I have time.

Ugh....just tried to load a new movie I bought....Shooter....and 2.4 database does not have. It also gives me profile errors when it trys to go to Intervoactive site for updates. I see the 3.x to 2.x coverter that is part of Tom's viewer but I see all the other items he asks you to load (see below). I really hate to load more items on my HTPC for a simple conversion....ugh. Wish there was a simple program to do the conversion. As the Forum thread says....wish 3.x would have a XML compatible 2.4 output. Think I'll wait on this.

http://www.tom-gaines.de/

Cinematic Collection Viewer v1.4.5
Update 2007-06-11
Screenshots

Trouble-Shooting:
"Microsoft Office Web Components" is needed. If you get the error Component 'OWC10.dll' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: A File is missing or invalid then you can download it for free from Microsoft.
If COMDLG32.ocx is missing, do the following:
Download this file and execute run.bat which is contained in this archive.
If MSCOMCTL.OCX is missing, do the following:
Download this file and execute run.bat which is contained in this archive.
If the Viewer crashes, when trying to reorder columns, this Update from Microsoft helps. Reboot is necessary after installation of this update
When in the editor "Import/Export from/to DVD Profiler" does not work ("run-time error '429': Active X Component can't create object") then do the following:
Start->Run...
Enter: regsvr32 <Path to the editor>\AutoItX3.dll>
Last Update: 2007-05-06
thekochs

Postby jryan1776 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 pm

ya, i know it's a pain to run a separate program, but now that i've replaced all of the generic folders in my movie database with cover art, it made it worth while.

i had one of the error message popups which was easily resolved following his instructions. setting up the database the first time took a little time, but now the process moves pretty fast.

i just wanted to post a method for those of us who aren't ready to move up or away from XLobby just yet.
jryan1776

Postby thekochs on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:23 am

jryan1776 wrote:ya, i know it's a pain to run a separate program, but now that i've replaced all of the generic folders in my movie database with cover art, it made it worth while.

i had one of the error message popups which was easily resolved following his instructions. setting up the database the first time took a little time, but now the process moves pretty fast.

i just wanted to post a method for those of us who aren't ready to move up or away from XLobby just yet.

1) Could you give me some guidance. I backed-up my 2.4 DB....unistalled 2.4....installed profiler 3.0. I then restored DB into 3.0. I then exported 3.0 to XML. I then opened CCViewer and brought in this 3.0 XML. I then exported in CCViewer to 2.4 XML format. I went into XL and changed the diretory path to point to the new 2.4 XML. I hit delete DB in XL and import. It brought in 302 items (which by the way before this I had 301 movies....added Shooter)...however it said Files Imported 302, Profiler Movies Imported: 0. I went into XL and the rectangles are there but no coverart. I scrolled thru and found Shooter and ran the movie fine. I'm using a small tweeked version of default skin. As and FYI the main menu in XL shows the coverart of a few (kinda of collage) like it did before. I have not deleted the C:Program Files\Intervoactive\DVd Profolier directory even though it is uninstalled. Any thoughts on why my coverarts are not coming up ?

2) One thing that is different (assuming it is not my CCViewerXML DB) is that 3.0 puts DVD Profiler directory in My Docs. I went back into XL under Databases=>Import tab and above the XML folder (which is pointing to the CCViewer 2.4) I tried pointing to the My Docs DVd Profiler folder and subfolders in the Folder path slot. Previous XL How-Tos said to have this point to the Program Files directory where profiler EXE is. I did that at first...no go.

3) I did go back into CCViewer and found there were no coverarts there either. I did find under one menu for path it asked to point to DVD Profiler DB inMy Docs. I did that and re-imported. No luck.

4) Well, I'm getting somewhere. Figured out in CCViewer under Settings Menu there is Path Settings. In this there is two important items: DVD Profiler Path which needs to be set to MyDocs>DVD Profiler & Cover Path which needs to be set to MyDocs>DVD Profiler>Databases>Default>Images. After this and a re-import of my 3.0 XML I now see cover art in CCViewer.....and all movie descriptions, etc. I then re-export to 2.4v and went to XL....still no flippin cover arts. It's importing my files and movies are there, even metadata info but no cover arts. I have the XL DataBase>Import XML pointed to the 2.4v export from CCViewer. I've tried every combo for the Folder path but no luck. Thoughts ?
thekochs

Postby jryan1776 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:05 am

I had the same problem and was able to get the cover art to work. The problem is that I'm on vacation in Chicago and can't get to my setup to tell you exactly what I did to resolve it.

From memory it sounds like you are very close. i found that 3.0 was putting the cover art in the DVD Profiler directory that it stuck in my My Documents folder. it seems like there were more than one or two subfolders to get to the cover art though. knowing this when i went into XLobby, I deleted the movies database, created a new one, and then I changed one of the directory paths on the import screen to the new path that held the new 3.0 cover art. I'm pretty sure that was it and everything imported ok. If that doesn't work, maybe I only pointed the new directory to the My Documents\DVD Profiler dir...

Hope this helps. Getting the v2.4 xml was the hardest part which you've done, so it should all be downhill now. Good luck!
jryan1776

Conversion of DVDProfiler 3.x to 2.x. => How to Steps

Postby thekochs on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:51 am

Got it to work..........whew...alot of trial an error. Here is quick how-to post to save some others some time.

1) Backup your DVD Proifler v2.4 database
2) Unisntall v2,4
3) Install v3.x DVD Profiler
4) Restore in DVD Profiler 3.x using the above v2.4 database
5) Go ahead and sync online and any other house keeping and/or update items in 3.x
6) Go ahead and backup this database....not critical step but shoudl do it.
7) Go ahead and export to XML in 3.x
8) Download and run CCViewer (http://www.tom-gaines.de/). It is a script so your AV may give you a script error but it is OK.
Note, the ru-time errors on the bottom and fixes.....I had none....others did and say these fixes work. Note, CCViewer is
not installed....it is just a EXE to run.
9) Run CCViewer and create a CCViewer database
10) Then when this database opens (blank) go ahead on the Setting>Path Settings menu select DVD Profiler Path and point to the MyDocs>DVd Profiler directory.
In this same Settings>Path Settings menu select Cover Path and point to MyDocs>DVD Profiler>Databases>Default>Images
11) Now in CCViewer go ahead and import the 3.x XML file from step #4. You should see all your data, images, etc. come in. I had to click on teh cover art to show
front cover...it for some reason showed the back by default.
12) Now in CCViewer go ahead and export to DVD Profiler 2.4 XML file {this is the built in conversion}
13) Now, go into XLobby and F2 into config. Go to Database>Import tab and for point to the below:
Folder => MyDoc>DVD Profiler>Datasbases>Default
XML => {point to where ever the v2.4 export XML file is from Step #12.
14) Now go to Basic tab in XL and delete DB and hit import.
15) Done !
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I copy my images to my movie folders, and xLobby pics it up there. Was it in xLobby that the images weren't showing up because they were in the dvdprofiler directory instead of each movie folder?

I haven't had a chance to run this yet, so was wanting info :)

Also, why are you deleting the database and rebuilding it fully, can't you just do a refresh? and are there command line options for this util that you know of to automate it? If so, you could add it to the "refresh" event to make it a little more painless. You could have it execute the command to import the file and convert it then refresh the database after it's done. Hopefully tonight I'll have a chance to look at it. Of course, being off work tomorrow will give me time too.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:19 pm

cmhardwick wrote:
1) I copy my images to my movie folders, and xLobby pics it up there. Was it in xLobby that the images weren't showing up because they were in the dvdprofiler directory instead of each movie folder?

2) Also, why are you deleting the database and rebuilding it fully, can't you just do a refresh? and are there command line options for this util that you know of to automate it? If so, you could add it to the "refresh" event to make it a little more painless. You could have it execute the command to import the file and convert it then refresh the database after it's done. Hopefully tonight I'll have a chance to look at it. Of course, being off work tomorrow will give me time too.

1) Yes, my images were in DVD Profiler so when the directory changed from v2.4 to 3.0 to MyDocs it took some experimenting to figure out what directory under FOLDER (XL Database>Import tab) to point to. Finally got it after a bunch of attempts. I first had the issue of getting the covers into CCViewer. One step at a time. :)

2) I understand this can be done but I don't have the HTPC up all the time....it only boots in a series of IR events from the remote. The user then watches the movie, etc. and on exit it boots down...all automatically. Thus, I don't really want any background tasks running...tends to muck things up sometimes. I have enough items like FFDShow competing for resources. My method of movies is...buy, rip with DVD Fab and/or DVD Shrink, put VOBs/IFOs into {hdd}:\{movie name} directory. Then I open DVD Profiler, add/lookup movie. I export XML (now go thru CCViewer translation step) then into XLobby config and Delete/Import database. Thus all my DVD metadata/cover items reside within DVD Profiler framework. I used to have all this in the movie HDD directories with myHTPC and .my files with cover.jpg in each but Profiler really streamlined for me. Anyway, guess you can skin this cat various ways but the above works if you are depending on the Profiler DB/Covers.

Let me know how it goes....good luck.

3) Lastly, I have question for you. In my skin (edited default) I have the cover art showing in the movieviewer screen but I also want to show the rear/back cover art. I posted this question in Skin Forum but no responses. In Skin Editor under movieviewer I see the front cover art as item text(categories>movies>cover). What would be rear/back cover art be ? :?:
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:54 pm

I don't think there is a variable to read the rear cover art. You could look at the raw movies XML and see, but I don't remember ever seeing it in there.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:00 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I don't think there is a variable to read the rear cover art. You could look at the raw movies XML and see, but I don't remember ever seeing it in there.

I have no idea how to read/interpret the XML...I opened and greek to me. :)
Anyway, if there is a way you can check I'd really apprecite it !!!! The front cover in XL is item text(categories>movies>cover).
I've guessed at categories>movies>backcover, categories>movies>rearcover, categories>movies>back, etc......but I'm just fishing.
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 pm

It depends on if Steven coded it to import that tag from the exported XML. I don't think he did.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 pm

cmhardwick wrote:It depends on if Steven coded it to import that tag from the exported XML. I don't think he did.

That's what I suspect but was hoping not the case. :(

I posted this question on the Skin Forum and alot of views...not one response. I hope Steven will put this in the Commercial version.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5816
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:07 pm

he's pulling alot of information in, but not that, sorry :(
cmhardwick

Next