USB-UIRT "Learns" but will not "transmit" -- help

Help each other out

USB-UIRT "Learns" but will not "transmit" -- help

Postby SMH on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:58 pm

I have installed the USB-UIRT plugin(shows online status cand appears in the IR plugin section). Everything seems to work well in regards to learning the functions of my Sony DVP-CX777ES remote--it shows learn complete and the code appears in the display box. However, when I attempt to transmit, nothing happens with my DVD player. I have tried other functions, etc. but nothing seems to work. I believe I know how to establish an event and assign it to a function, but it just appears the USB-UIRT is not transmitting anything. Is there something I should try or where to find the answer? Not sure where the problem would be--with the plugin, Xlobby, or the USB-UIRT itself. Thanks for any direction.
SMH

Re: USB-UIRT "Learns" but will not "transmit" -- help

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:56 am

If the code is being transmitted correctly, the LED on the USB-UIRT will flash. Does it? If so, then you are indeed sending. Maybe then the code could be corupted. Or it could be as simple as adjusting your Anti Repeat variable.
Marbles_00

Postby SMH on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks. Yes, the red LED is blinking so it is probably actually sending, but it is having no effect on the player.
I am using the player remote to perform the learning, so I am not sure what else to try as I keep getting the same results and the same looking code each time. Somewhere on the forums it stated that the code should be 3-4 lines, mine is only around 1.5 lines--could this be a problem? How would you correct it--there is only one remote?
Also, what should I attempt for the anti-repeat variable?
SMH

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Somewhere on the forums it stated that the code should be 3-4 lines, mine is only around 1.5 lines--could this be a problem?

It could be a problem if for some reason the whole code is not being accepted (though I have know knowledge as to why)

How would you correct it--there is only one remote?

Again, I have no experience with that remote, so I can't be of any help.

what should I attempt for the anti-repeat variable?

This is something you may have to experiment with, unless someone with knowledge of that remote can chime in and give you his/her experience.

Sorry I could not be of much more help, but without experience with that particular remote and its characteristics, I don't want to lead you down a deadend, but at least we know that the UIRT is sending which will most likely mean that your commands/events are fine.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:52 pm

The code may only be 1.5 lines long. Chances are it's longer though. Make sure your remote and receiver are quite close together. Reduce any and all chances of stray IR signals getting picked up by the receiver and that should help. Be sure to hold the button down the whole time and don't move the remote around while doing it. Sometimes it just works and sometimes it's finicky. Also, I've noticed that some buttons on the remote will learn easily and some have a problem. I'm not sure why, but if most of the codes are in one format but then one or two look odd, they're probably wrong, so check to make sure all the codes are in a similar style.

For the anti-repeat, I believe it's set to 500 to begin with... Try doubling it. If that doesn't work, try 250. Basically there isn't really any good answer for that. It should work at less than 1000 (one second) I would imagine, but not necessarily.
If I'm not mistaken though, the anti-repeat is just for receiving signals (to prevent catching the same code multiple times), is it not? The units themselves should have their own anti-repeat circuitry, otherwise you'd get double-taps when using just the remote... Maybe somebody can clarify this. I guess it never hurts to play around with it though.
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:39 pm

I noticed your thread about not being able to control this player via RS232. Just wondering if you tried the option of using Girder with the Sony777 DVD plugin? Then from xlobby, you'd send girder commands to control it. Girder 3.29 can still be found as freeware.

Just a possible option for your situation.
Marbles_00

Postby SMH on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:37 am

One problem solved, another problem still present.

I finally figured out the USB-UIRT problem and it is working properly. Apparently it had to do with selecting the device and I finally found one that would work.
Now, the reason I purchased the USB-UIRT was that when I loaded a movie in my changer by using the "play movie" button of the skin, after the movie has loaded, certain functions such as the "menu" button do not function properly. It works fine if the player is started by itself and the movie is loaded, but if the skin is used (PC) to load the movie, the problem exists. So apparently it has something to do with the play movie function of the Xlobby skin. So now I was able to change out all the functions that didn't work with USB-UIRT functions, with the exception of "play movie" as this has to be tied to Xlobby. I am using the program "runhidden.exe" to hide the dos box while loading the movie. Otherwise, I am using the "play--execute file" function of the xlobby skin. It works great, with this very annoying exception (no menu button function). It just freezes the screen and doesn't actually load the menu screen.
I have been battling this problem for a long time. If anyone could weigh in on this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
SMH