Get mimic to properly display search results

Got an idea, post it here

Get mimic to properly display search results

Postby Roscoe62 on Sun May 15, 2005 11:50 pm

I notice that when using a Pocket PC to filter-search the movies or music databases (by genre/year etc...) the results of the search don't show correctly on the main screen. (shows correctly on the PPC).

I'd like to know if it's possible to have the main screen show the search results as they appear on the PPC screen ... taking mimic that one step further.

I have been careful to use the proper screen naming convention (screenname = xyz, ppcscreenname = ppcxyz) wherever possible. But I think for it to work properly there needs to be "open/close global abc overlay" commands added to the event manager. If I understand how it works correctly this should get the results of the filter search displaying on both the PPC and the main screen attached to the XLobby server.

To be clear, the filtering works perfectly on the Pocket PC OR directly on the XLobby server, but the two do NOT sync at all.

I might not be correct in thinking that adding these 2 events will solve the problem but thought that'd be a good place to start. It seems to work correctly for the open/close global overlay commands, but maybe the open/close abc overlay works differently?

Alternatively, if anyone has this working already, I'd love to hear how you got it to work!

Otherwise, it's up to Steven. :)
Last edited by Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed May 18, 2005 12:47 am

:cry: Am I the only one to do filter searches on a PPC?
Roscoe62

Postby lar282 on Wed May 18, 2005 6:26 am

I cant get it work either.
lar282

Postby Roscoe62 on Sat May 21, 2005 12:37 am

Steven,

Is there any chance of getting this implemented? It would allow mimic to continue to function during searches. It doesn't work at the moment.
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 pm

Thought I'd just put another timely plug for this feature. Still very keen to get it working!

At the moment, when guests want to browse through, say, my comedy movies, I have to hand them the PPC to view the results. Ugh! It'd be sooo much easier to have the filtered movies appear on the main screen.
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:33 am

I know I seem to be the only one pushing this, but it just makes sense to me.

Bump!
Roscoe62

Postby rhinoman on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:26 pm

A mate has ppc filter searches working but I'm not sure about mimic mode.

EDIT: I had another chat with him and I wasn't listening properly the first time, it works fine on the pc but not the ppc, he seems to think this isn't possible yet. Definitly worth trying to get sorted out though.
rhinoman

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:26 am

I agree. It's something I'd love to see working properly on the PPC.

Steven? :)
Roscoe62

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:04 am

I didnt get enough time to test this, but this should show the results on the server if you have mimic on. get back to me if it works or not...because I have no idea thanks.

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:45 am

Thanks for your time on this Steven.

OK.....well it kinda works. Sometimes (using a genre filter) it will display the movies that have been included in the filter, but sometimes the main screen is blank, even though the filtered selections show correctly on the PPC. This is true for music and movie databases. Sometimes when there were 2 pages of filtered selections the titles would only appear when going to the 2nd page, but not always.

Don't know if it's relevant or not, but I show a total of 10 movies on the main screen preview page and only 6 on the PPC (for space reasons). In the music database the main screen preview page shows 18 albums while in the PPC screen I only show 9. As I said, I don't know if it's relevant or not.
Roscoe62

PPC filter show

Postby rhinoman on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:16 pm

A friend and I have been trying to work this out with little sucess.

We are trying to create a track search page for the ppc. A screen has been set up to show a keyboard and a box for the variable that we type in for the name of the track we are searching for and another box showing the filter selection of tracks.

It wroks fine when we run the ppc page from a pc but when we try to run it from a ppc it doesn't update the page.

Can this be fixed?

We do have the refresh:1000 command in the ppc server text file.
rhinoman

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:58 am

rhinoman, could you email me your skin? that would help me out more.

mailto:steve@xlobby.com

Roscoe62, is it possible the server is still on page 5 or something...instead of page 1 like it should be when the filter is changed...that would explain why its blank. Just hit the prev page button the server to check, I dont have time to run the test myself since my skin isn't setup for this.
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:25 am

I'll try to give this a more thorough test in the next half hour or so. The wife is busy using it for her singing practise :roll:

I'll report back with what I find.
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:15 am

OK,

I've got some more info which, hopefully, will be useful.

Firstly I applied some genre filters in the music database. I selected the "CLUB" genre filter. On the PPC screen I see that 3 albums match this genre and they are displayed correctly on the PPC with a page count of "page 1 of 1". On the PC server NO album covers are displayed, and the page count on the server shows as "page 10 of 25".

If I mouseover the pages directly on the server, the page count changes to "page 10 of 1". At this point if I hit page forward directly on the server the page count moves to "page 1 of 1" and the album covers are displayed correctly.

Next I tried movies....

I used the genre filter of WAR. On the PPC this shows 4 movies that match and the page count shows "page 1 of 1". On the server again no movie covers are displayed and the page count shows as "page 5 of 23". If I mouseover the pages directly on the server the page count changes to "page 5 of 1". Again, if I select the page forward button directly on the server, the 4 movie covers are correctly displayed and the page count goes to "page 1 of 1".

Finally, I used the movie genre of COMEDY. The PPC shows "page 1 of 13" (I guess we watch a LOT of comedies!). On the server the 1st page of comedy movie covers is correctly displayed, but the page count shows as "page 1 of 23". If I mouseover here it changes to "page 1 of 8".

NB - As a side-note, resetting the genre filter on the PPC resets the movie covers correctly on the server, but the pagecount still shows as "page 1 of 8" until I do something else.

Sorry that was a little long-winded, but I hope it's useful in determining where the problem may lie.

Cheers
Roscoe
Roscoe62

Postby rhinoman on Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:48 pm

Email on the way with the skin I've been working on, very much still a work in progress so don't laugh :)
rhinoman

Next