help with resizing desktop for a tv

Help each other out

help with resizing desktop for a tv

Postby scottw on Sat May 24, 2008 12:06 am

I have a nvidia 6600gt hooked up thru component connections to my 26" FP TV. I have to have the res.set to 720x480 since that is what my skin is (don't want to redo it right now) The screen is run off the edge of the tv by about 1/4" on all sides. Usually I could just choose the "desktop resize" option on the nvidia drivers and fine tune the picture but it says "the current HDTV signal format does not support resizing. I have tried several different formats and drivers with the same results on all. On my other TV running svideo I can fine tune the picture with no problems.

Is there any 3rd party software I can use to just simply "shrink" my display/desktop??? It looks perfect, it is just overrun a little.

Thanks,
scottw

Re: help with resizing desktop for a tv

Postby PhilB on Sat May 24, 2008 1:33 am

Does that card support dual output? I also run component to the HDTV but use the VGA port to run the skin via touch screen and other remote options. I dont use the skin on the TV, just use the TV for movies. Works great unless you want to use skin off TV and IR remote.
PhilB

Postby scottw on Sat May 24, 2008 11:34 am

PhilB wrote:Works great unless you want to use skin off TV and IR remote.

Yeah this is exactly what I am trying to do :D

Any other ideas???
scottw

Postby capecodscot on Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure you could use Powerstrip to do this.
capecodscot

Postby defrag on Sun May 25, 2008 8:17 am

Just curious as to why you are running component to a HDTV set? Why not HDMI or DVI? You are more likely to get a customised resolution over a digital/analogue connection than component. I have DVI to my HDTV and VGA to a 7" touch screen with 1360x768 on one and 1024x768 on the other, works a treat.
defrag

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun May 25, 2008 1:37 pm

Just curious as to why you are running component to a HDTV set?

Most likely the reason is that the set does not have a DVI or HDMI input. Older HDTV ready sets did not have them. This is the dilemma that the manufacturers have run into...how do they enforce HDCP, and close the analog hole, when they sold so many sets that still have analog inputs, even up to a few years back?

Oh, and Powerstrip may work, just make sure your working (adjusting Powerstrip) on the second monitor, in case you screw up your timing too bad. You can still see and undo what you did wrong.
Marbles_00

Postby defrag on Mon May 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Fair point Marbles... the UK was a bit late getting on to the HDTV band wagon.
defrag

Postby scottw on Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 am

Marbles_00 wrote:
Just curious as to why you are running component to a HDTV set?

Most likely the reason is that the set does not have a DVI or HDMI input. Older HDTV ready sets did not have them. This is the dilemma that the manufacturers have run into...how do they enforce HDCP, and close the analog hole, when they sold so many sets that still have analog inputs, even up to a few years back?

Oh, and Powerstrip may work, just make sure your working (adjusting Powerstrip) on the second monitor, in case you screw up your timing too bad. You can still see and undo what you did wrong.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I do have a VGA and HDMI port on my TV (in the bedroom), don't know why I did not try that before. My other issue is my living room setup consisting of a 36" Sony Wega CRT and a 10.4" touchscreen. I have the Touchscreen plugged into the VGA/DVI port on the video card at a res. of 800x600 and the Sony running svideo thru the same card at 720x480 (same as the skin), the sony does have component input but no vga which comfirms what Marbles says. I am going to switch the Sony to component from svideo.

I think bottom line here is I have to reformat my skin out of the 720x480 :D It does not display right running at any other resolution.

I would like to keep the res. the same on all screens to keep it simple. My touchscreen has a native resolution of 800x600, I tried to set it to 1024x768 but had to change the refresh from 60hz to 70hz to get it to display :?:

So what I am thinking is to just set all displays to 800x600 and configure the skin for that as well, should give me a little more screen real estate to play with.

Do that sound like a good idea????
scottw

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue May 27, 2008 8:30 am

I dont think it sounds a good idea.

I guess that small resolution is ok for CRT and touchscreen, but problem arises when u use it for bedroom telly and u want to watch HD-material from comp... what are u gonna do, quick resolution change? i do not think so.

Now u didnt gave the specs of your bedroom TV but since it has HDMI, i would guess it is atleast "HD ready". But if im wrong atleast using such a small skin is not future proof, might as well be that time youre done with reskinning, its outdated already.

Granted i use small resolution skin myself. But i never mix the skin on the actual viewing surface. Instead i output HD for viewing zones and have small-res skin on separate control output.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scottw on Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

So maybe separate skins adjusted for the different rooms would not be a bad idea.
scottw