Amazon Spider

Help each other out

Amazon Spider

Postby PhilB on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:21 am

Anyone having issues with this Spider? Does not work most of the time for me. I am using one with a filedate of 8-24-2007.

Is there a newer one?

I am looking for the best Music covers and if anyone has better suggestions for site that provide, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
PhilB

Re: Amazon Spider

Postby PhilB on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:56 pm

No responses....

Ok I will talk to myself.

After looking at all the sites out there, I decided to go with

http://www.frecovers.net

for a $10 gold membership I was able to update all the covers I wanted in medium to high resolution. It was manual I got what I needed.
PhilB

Postby vaporhat on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 pm

PhilB wrote:No responses....

Ok I will talk to myself.

It's like that sometimes around here.. :(

I use the default spiders and they work out so-so. I fill in with my own web search. A lot of my obscure albums or EP's are not found anywhere. Most of my mainstream is covered by the default. Never really thought about looking for an alternative.
vaporhat

Postby slaman on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 pm

I use a number of sources, depending on the genre. For reggae, I've found some specialty online retailers that scan in their vinyls and use that... I use Amazon for common stuff, sometimes discogs.com has some stuff.

Google around for the genre you're looking at... I'm sure you'll find a smaller retailer with good coverart. There's always cdcovers.cc as well...
slaman

Postby PhilB on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am

The thing I found with Amazon is that all the covers are not the same size. I am trying to get a consistent size without editing.
PhilB

Postby scottw on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:18 am

Just for the record Phil..I am having issues with the Amazon spider as well. I can see the covers before they are downloaded but once downloaded all I get is thick colored lines for a picture.

Hopefully it can be figured out.
scottw

Postby PhilB on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:27 pm

That is not the behavior I was seeing at all. I have not seen that one. Seems very strange. Have you tried against a test database? I find that if I have trouble with mp3 files, moving the problem records to a test database (created after deleting the old one first) helps.

Anyway, I gave up on spiders for now and just manually created the covers I wanted.

PB
PhilB

Postby scottw on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:51 am

It is strange behavior. I was testing a little last night and I think my problem is with the save command. I have a screen where I can search for cover art and it shows the covers just fine, I pick one and choose save. After choosing save is where it was messed up. After testing last night the save button now does nothing. If I go directly into the DB thru F2 and run the spider from there it works fine :? So it must be something with the screen I setup.
scottw

Postby samsonlov on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 am

As far as I am aware, Steven is doing a "Major" overhaul on the web spiders.
Should be awesome when it's finished. :D
samsonlov