WMA files search problem

Speak your mind

WMA files search problem

Postby jazzar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:28 am

Hi All
I'm new to Xlobby but have been using another HTPC package,Here is my problem. I have a large music library which has a mixture of MP3 & WMA files in it, importing seems to go ok but I have few problems. my import is Id and album. If I click on music to display my collection they all seem to display although don't seem to be in any order ,also when I search the library it doesn't seem to find anything that is a wma file ie. the artists, album ,tracks are there when i scroll though all my music but not when i search on any criteria
not sure if i've made a lot of sense, but i'm a bit confused with this because everything worked well with the other package. Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
jazzar

Postby rembetis on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:50 am

Is the criteria for which you are searching present in your file tags?
rembetis

Postby jazzar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 am

rembetis wrote:Is the criteria for which you are searching present in your file tags?

Yip
According to Media Monkey when I load it into that it dispalys album name ,artist,genre,year etc..
jazzar

Postby rembetis on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Having not ever used WMA, I'm grasping at straws here... Just to cover the basics... Are all your files grouped by album, within their own folders, and is wma is included in the list of extensions for your music database import?
rembetis

Postby jazzar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

rembetis wrote:Having not ever used WMA, I'm grasping at straws here... Just to cover the basics... Are all your files grouped by album, within their own folders, and is wma is included in the list of extensions for your music database import?

Hi
That's correct my music library has the structure H:\artists\album\ then all the tracks. I'ts strange because Xlobby doesn't seem to read the tag info on wma files because when i scroll through all music and find an album i know is wma file it doesn't display the album name or artist or anything like that, however if i pick an album that are mp3 the everything seems fine.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the importer and wma files ?

Thanks
jazzar

Postby rhinoman on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 am

I'm also grasping at straws....

I remeber in the early days of xlobby we had to add certain file types to a list in order for xlobby yo recognise it, ape was one that was relevent to me. Maybe wma has slipped through the net?
rhinoman

Postby cc&c on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:30 am

jazzar wrote:
Hi
That's correct my music library has the structure H:\artists\album\ then all the tracks. I'ts strange because Xlobby doesn't seem to read the tag info on wma files because when i scroll through all music and find an album i know is wma file it doesn't display the album name or artist or anything like that, however if i pick an album that are mp3 the everything seems fine.

Thanks

I've just tried doing the same thing. None of my WMA files will import into Xlobby. I'm certainly no expert on file types and protection but I am guessing that Xlobby can't read the tag properly and may be associated with the copy protection placed on WMA files(?).

If you import all your music files and then click on import again, Xlobby picks up all the WMA files as being new and hence tries to re-import. Thus it appears to be failing to write the files to the database as being valid. The WMA files I have will play with Winamp 5.11 but I guess it has the correct smarts built in into do it. More searching would find the answer to why that is.

I also found an anomoly in that I put some WMA files in a directory with some MP3 files. Xlobby put all the songs under "Various Artists/Various Albums" and titled the songs via filename which I guess is also confirming that it couldn't read the tag (?).

Cheers, cc&c.
cc&c

Postby jazzar on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:46 am

cc&c wrote:
jazzar wrote:
Hi

Thanks

I've just tried doing the same thing. None of my WMA files will import into Xlobby. I'm certainly no expert on file types and protection but I am guessing that Xlobby can't read the tag properly and may be associated with the copy protection placed on WMA files(?).

If you import all your music files and then click on import again, Xlobby picks up all the WMA files as being new and hence tries to re-import. Thus it appears to be failing to write the files to the database as being valid. The WMA files I have will play with Winamp 5.11 but I guess it has the correct smarts built in into do it. More searching would find the answer to why that is.

I also found an anomoly in that I put some WMA files in a directory with some MP3 files. Xlobby put all the songs under "Various Artists/Various Albums" and titled the songs via filename which I guess is also confirming that it couldn't read the tag (?).

Cheers, cc&c.

Hi
I gave up with the WMA files and converted them all to MP3 using a program called ALLTOMP3 it works well. Still have the same anomoly as you where i haven't be able to convert a protected WMA File. However the majority of my 3000 odd music files now work fine in XLobby.
jazzar