S.M.A.R.T. RAID

Speak your mind

S.M.A.R.T. RAID

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am

As i experienced 3rd hard drive breakdown today within less than year period... (this was on my ancient development machine, and was frankly quite expected, im too lazy to fix anything which is not broken so basicly i was just waiting it to break down, so i can take my development from VC++6 to VC++2008. disk has been making funny noises for a while so leaving it on trough the night finally made the trick. PCd is already recompiled with 08, but kXd, is only thing im little bit worried about, wondering how easy itll port to modern day.) i did some empiric experimenting with S.M.A.R.T. reporting capabilities of speedfan, and it reports very consistently fitness values around 84 for all three broken disks, where as working disks seem to get as high avarage as 97. alarmingly P3rvette drive (recycled from my tablet) gets only 91 :shock: so that might suggest its about end of its mileage.

So based on my findings it seems around 90 in fitness value would suggest its time to replace the disc soon rather than later. We could really use these fitness values within xlobby to remind us when its time to replace a disk.. so id like to plea once again to writer of speedfan plugin, if theres any kinda possibility to get these values out of it :wink:

Also as the topic says id like to ask since there seems to be too many RAIDers on this site whether it is possible to get S.M.A.R.T. readings over RAID or not? Atleast over my mobo integrated RAID chip this didnt seam to work, well atleast not with speedfan.

Finally on contrary to popular belief, not all broken harddrives are seagates, i managed to break samsung and IBM too. :?

EDIT: come to think of it SMART reading could be nice addition to official paylobby too, if xmas three starts to blink at installers place when client hard disk is about to go sour, they can dispatch a technician to replace drive before clueless client makes angry call: "what the H*ll just happened to my recorded southpark episodes!".
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: S.M.A.R.T. RAID

Postby PhilB on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:11 am

Drive temps in XL would be a nice addition. I depend on my RAID array to email me if things are going bad. UnRaid which I just started using does not do this but it is on the list of new planned features.
PhilB

Re: S.M.A.R.T. RAID

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:26 am

Actually drive temperatures are already included in current functionality of xmon (i even wrote a short tutorial how to get them displayed as bars with helpof xpert)... but that ofcourse requires that drives are capable reporting them via S.M.A.R.T. (most still working drives are) and that speedfan is capable fetching them (not the case trough my mobos RAID hardware).
P3rv3rt B3ar