Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Speak your mind

Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Postby Colby on Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:11 pm

I, like others I am sure, am sizing up the next generation of gaming consoles and debating Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3. I was leaning toward PS3 until it appeared that they wont have blue ray disks after all. xbox 360 seems like it will be a glorified gaming MCE. And Playstation 3 will have 7 bluetooth controller inputs (do I have 6 friends??). XBOX360 may have some backwards compatability they say, I doubt it. Anyway I am not sure which way I am leaning, so far towards PS3. I was curious as to others thoughts on these?
Colby

Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Postby CaM on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:15 pm

the problem i have with the ps3 is that sony will insist on selling people specalized items that generaly only sony produces i.e. memory cards, specail discs with games/movies etc...

99 percent of my gaming time is pc based online and i already have an xbox. Still, I'd love to try something different and get a ps3 but it will end up costing much more than an Xbox. Sony make there money on the accessories.

CaM
CaM

Postby jmb295 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:52 pm

I was first in line for the ps2 when it came out, and resisted getting an xbox for a long time until the price dropped considerably. As much as I would like to not support microsoft, I don't think that I'll be able to pass up 720P Madden on our projector once november rolls around. So for me it will probably be reversed this time around, xbox360 first and ps3 when the prices go down. It helps a lot to be first to market during the christmas season. Expecially when your wife is willing to give you your present a month or so early... :)
jmb295

Postby Colby on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:37 pm

I had a PS2 on launch day (later sold it) and an xbox on launch day which I still have. Honestly this time around Im not so hyped on either system. Maybe I should wait until I see how the games pan out. Or stick with my xbox and actually play the 130 games I have.
Colby

Postby Atlas on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:27 am

I currently have ps2 and no xbox, however have played xbox at friends. One thing I noticed was reload of game was significantly faster due to the hard drive in the xbox. I've read where the PS3 will still have NO harddrive. Also I've heard more hype about the 360 supporting High-Def better. I agree with jmb about not wanting to support Micro$oft but they do appear (as of now) to have the better system. I'll probably wait till they are both out this time and compare the graphics. Although I did find this interesting

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16 ... 24681.html

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.
Atlas

Postby Colby on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 am

I am enjoying my 360 even though there is a severe lack of games. Perfect Dark is fun though. I heard PS3 got moved back until Nov, glad I didnt wait for that. I guess I can have both now. And it looks like they are going ahead with the blue ray discs after all.
Colby

Postby GFORCE on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:56 am

ive got 5 PS2's and 7 XboX's

Most of which are either severly hacked up or in peices.

I still reckon XBOX is better once Modified.
GFORCE

Postby bardx on Wed May 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Xbox 360 has a serious lack of development support at the moment. I wouldn't buy the console for any of the games currently on it. Oh, wait a second, I already bought one. Crap!

Anyway, I have bought every console at launch since the SNES and I can honestly say that I have played my Xbox360 less in the first 6 months of owning it than any other console I have ever purchased. I must qualify this statement by adding that I am not a fan of 1st person shooters on consoles (keyboard and mouse>controller). If you like FPS' you might want to pick this up, as there is a plethora of PC re-runs available for your enjoyment.

If I had it to do over again I would definately not buy an Xbox360. Wait for the PS3, as you will already have a built in library of PS1 and PS2 games and a horde of developers anxious to develop content for a platform that has already proven it can sell in Japan, EU, and USA.

P.S. R.I.P Nintendo... it was a good run. Time to join Sega in software developer land.
bardx

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 10, 2006 6:18 pm

well... odds that xbox would spy on u r smaller...

I thought microsoft was lowest of companies... but lately Sony is defenetely taken bottom position... Would totally boycot them, but nothing really challenges good old dVP-777ES... and aibos are so cute...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Wed May 10, 2006 7:13 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:well... odds that xbox would spy on u r smaller...

I thought microsoft was lowest of companies... but lately Sony is defenetely taken bottom position... Would totally boycot them, but nothing really challenges good old dVP-777ES... and aibos are so cute...

for quite a few reasons sony on the whole I can't stand (most of their stuff is way overpriced for the $)

I've never been interested in the PS2 in the least bit. I had a ps1, and liked it quite a bit. I got an xbox, liked it a lot, then modded it, and LOVE it.

I got a 360 a few months ago, and already love it, and its not modded ;)

So far the ps3 hasn't impressed me enough to spend the $500-600 they officially said it would cost now. I could swing the price, but just couldn't justify it...

If the Wii is $200 like everyone thinks it will be, I could totally see myself buying that tho!
jowaldo

Postby defrag on Wed May 10, 2006 11:04 pm

How about actually using the HTPC as a gaming rig? Yeah I know consoles are easier to just plug and play and there are way more games, and they are all suited to joypads etc etc, but playing good PC games where you can run at 1366x768 native via DVI on a wall mounted LCD with a wireless joypad must count for something!! Plus you already have all the kit and the games tend to be cheaper these days. And lets not forget the emulators!!!! Been playing Oblivion on the big screen, sat on the sofa - great fun and just awesome to look at.

Anyway, my bucks would be with the 360 for now, if I ever get round to getting a console. As previously mentioned Sony are no better at grabbing your cash than MS, and at least we all know MS.
defrag