Capture mouse wheel events?

Got an idea, post it here

Capture mouse wheel events?

Postby appelm on Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:49 pm

Is there any way to capture mousewheel events? I can't figure out a way. I have a gyration mouse that I really like to use instead of a remote most of the time. It has a mousewheel on it which I'd like to be able to use to quickly scroll through lots of movies or music albums. Now I have to click on the next page arrow. I suppose if the mouse wheel could be linked to the forward and back arrow keys that would solve the problem. Another improvement would be to create true working scroll bars (rather than pages) that respond to mousewheel events.

On a secondary note, I thought the pageup and pagedown keys would work for skipping pages but they don't. Instead they increase/decrease the number of images viewed as thumbnails. While an interesting feature, it seems more intuitive for pageup and pagedown to change pages. Then they could be mapped to buttons on a remote.
appelm

Re: Capture mouse wheel events?

Postby Colby on Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:47 pm

appelm wrote: it seems more intuitive for pageup and pagedown to change pages.

Matter of opinion.
Colby

Postby appelm on Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:21 am

uh is it? "page" up sort of implies next page don't you think?

not a big deal but since you seem to disagree.. how do you interpret pageup/pagedown?
appelm

Postby Colby on Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 am

page down seems to imply move down on the page if you want to get literal. not next page. Like I said matter of opinion.

Why is CNTRl+V = paste when CNTRL+P seems to make more since? because somebody programming made a decision.

If you need to go up and down, try using the arrow keys, or a mouse.
Colby

Postby badubo on Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:28 am

May be you can test to do that with girder, I think it can transform mouse event to command (keyboards in your case). But not sure if mouse wheel is correctly supported.

try
http://www.girder.nl/downloadn.php?Link=498
badubo

Postby dalanik on Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:58 am

Colby wrote:Why is CNTRl+V = paste when CNTRL+P seems to make more since? because somebody programming made a decision.

Slightly off topic, but what the heck...

CTRL+V is probably used because keys on the keyboard are XCV so it's nearby when you do cut/copy/paste CTRL-X CTRL-C CTRL-V....

D.
dalanik