database link with screen

Help each other out

Postby rembetis on Fri May 19, 2006 8:53 pm

abobader wrote:I look under text (category>doc>title) and all ok, but the name do not come out.

It very small issue, but could not manage to knwo the reason why it do not display the name of the title. This only happend in 2 screen, all the others are ok.

The database named "doc".

I can think of two possible reasons why:

1. I think I may have confused you by using Database and Category interchangeably (and telling you at first to clone the Movie screen instead of creating a new category), when they are two separate but linked concepts. Database and Category are not the same thing (though they can have the same names for simplicity) -- Database is the actual .xml file containing all your entries and created with the Import process, Category is more of an abstract concept or classification of database, like Music, Movies, etc. So when you created this screen, linked to the "doc" database, did you go to the Screen tab in the Skin Editor and also type "doc" into the Category field and hit add, then link that box to your "doc" database? This is the same as what you did in Step 6 above. In other words, make sure you have set a category named "doc" or whatever you want to call it (Step 6, paragraph 2), make sure that category is linked to your "doc" database (Step 2d), and make sure whatever you called the category shows up in the "name" field under Item > Category in the Skin Editor if you highlight that box in the screen. If not, something was not done right and Xlobby won't know how to translate "category>doc>title".

2. If you already did everything above and it's still not working, look into the database itself (F2 > Databases > Edit) and make sure you have a field for "title" or whatever you are trying to display. If you created a custom import, your metamask will determine the names of the fields in your database. For example, using this metamask \\(?<Series>.*)\\(?<Season>.*)\\(?<Name>.*)\. * creates Series, Season, and Name fields. So if I want to display the title of the show, I have to use category > category name > name instead of category > category name > title.

Hope that made sense (and solves your problem).
rembetis

Postby abobader on Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi rembetis,

Thanks for this lovely info, all clear here now, and name title work again :)

All screens now working with cat/db/events and a like, many thanks.

As you said before, you can learn a lots by looking to events, but no matter what I do (been on this for 4 days now), search will not display, this only happed with the database cat that use this metamask:

Code: Select all
\\(?<Series>.*)\\Season\s(?<Season>\d*)\\.(?<EpNum>\d*)\s-\s(?<Name>.*)\. *
\\(?<Series>.*)\\Season(?<Season>\d*)\\.(?<EpNum>\d*)\s-\s(?<Name>.*)\. *
\\(?<Series>.*)\\(?<Season>.*)\\(?<Name>.*)\. *

I done everything in events and cat for these screens without luck, problem the for example, cartoonsearch (I clone this from moviessearch) and change the setting as well events for that cat., it seem it do not link to the database, going by skin editors, link to the database, go back, same thing, return to skin editor, it not linking it again.

Any headup on this, this the last what missing to make everything working %100.

My best.
abobader

Postby rembetis on Tue May 23, 2006 2:26 am

It sounds like there is still some confusion over the difference between databases and categories. You do not directly link a search screen to a database. You use a "set filter" event to determine what category and what filter displays in the search screen. The category you choose must be correctly linked to a database in the first place, and the filter must be a field present in your database for this to work.

1. Delete your cartoonsearch screen (Screen > Edit > Delete) so we know we are starting from scratch, and then reclone moviesearch, naming it cartoonsearch.
3. Do the same for your cartoon screen (Delete and then clone from Movies, call it Cartoons). Again, this is so we know we doing it right from the start.
4. Highlight and delete the Movies category on your new Cartoon screen. (Here I am referring to the actual box on the screen, not the text in the skin editor)
5. Under the screen tab, type a name for your cartoon category in the "Category" field and hit add. It can be the same name as your cartoon database or it can be different, but whatever you decide must also be used in your "set filter" event below (step 10).
5. Now, link that category to your cartoon database under Item > Category > Database and choose your Layout options.
6. Close the Skin Editor and open up the Setup screen.
7. Create a new set of events (Add Group) in the Skin folder and call it "Cartoons."
8. Add a new event and call it "show search".
9. Add a Show Overlay command (under Xlobby) and put "cartoonsearch" in the Overlay Screen Name box. Hit Add.
10. With your new Show Search event still hightlighted, add a Set Filter command (also under the Xlobby list at right) after your Show Overlay command and put your cartoon category name in the Category box and whatever field in your cartoon database your want to search by default. From your metamask, I'm guessing this would either be series or name (depending on how you want to search, but make sure it matches the case of the field in your database, I think Xlobby always uses lowercase for its database fields regardless of what is used in the metamask).
11. At this point, you may also want to create events for alternate ways of searching. This is up to you. Take a look at all the "set filter xx" events under movies for examples, but you would have to choose fields actually present in your cartoon database for them to work. You will also need to create a "Show Filter Select" event for Cartoons which brings up a cloned and edited version of the the moviefilterselect overlay. Base this event on the Movies:Show Filter Select event.
12. You will also want to create a Goto Cartoons event if you haven't already and assign it to whatever button your want on your main menu screen.
13. Close the Setup window and open the Skin Editor again.
14. Use the Goto tab to navigate to your Cartoons screen. Assign your new Show Search event (in your new Cartoon group) to the search button. Close the Skin Editor and test it. If you have done everything correctly, it will open the search overlay and show your Cartoon database presorted alphabetically by whatever database field your chose in step 10.
rembetis

Postby abobader on Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 am

Hi rembetis,

I hope I been more details in my last post to save you typing all the last post, but it great info for the others new users like me using xlobby and want to create events groups. Well done as always.

In fact, I been doing all that since you told me to learn by looking to what events do, so when I do screen/cat. I go a head and do all the steps above in events for eache group.

But again as always with your help, here what solve the problem :)

Code: Select all
10. With your new Show Search event still hightlighted, add a Set Filter command (also under the Xlobby list at right) after your Show Overlay command and put your cartoon category name in the Category box and whatever field in your cartoon database your want to search by default. From your metamask, I'm guessing this would either be series or name (depending on how you want to search, but make sure it matches the case of the field in your database, I think Xlobby always uses lowercase for its database fields regardless of what is used in the metamask).

So I went a head and change event in "show search" / "set filter" from "sorttitle" to "searies", as well change "set filter sorttitle" from "sorttitle" to "searies"

Working!!!

Many thanks as always, and I hope others new personals give you credits and thanks for all your help in this thread.

My best always.
abobader

Postby rembetis on Tue May 23, 2006 11:59 am

I'm glad it worked for you, abobader, and I am also glad you understand that I am writing things out step by step so that others reading the thread can benefit, not because I think you need special help or anything. It also helps me to think through the problem, learn a bit myself, and make sure I am giving correct advice.
rembetis

Postby gargoyle67 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 pm

rembetis wrote:2. Create your new TV show screen:
a. Hit Pause/Break to bring up skin editor
b. Under the "Goto" tab on top, choose your movies screen.
c. Then under the Screen > Add tabs, type in a new name for your TV Show screen in the "New Screen" field and hit Clone.
d. Now, under the Item > Category > Database tabs, click on the area that contains your movie database, make sure it is highlighted and then select your new database.
e. Options under the Item > Category > Layout tabs will help you customize the number and spacing of your database entries.

Hi,
I'm been trying to do my own tv series button and have found this thread very helpfull, but when i get to the above Item > Category > Database tab they are locked and ghosted out ?,
what am I doing wrong thanks.
gargoyle67

Postby rembetis on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 pm

Are you sure you have a box highlighted/selected in the editor that contains a category? That section is normally greyed out until a category box is selected.

p.s. check out my post on this page, where I advised to delete the Movie database in the cloned/new page and start from scratch. Easier to insure you are doing things correctly that way and avoiding duplication of categories.
rembetis

Postby gargoyle67 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Yes I had'nt clicked the background box, I've got them highlighted now :) ,
Thanks for the reply.Prob be asking again if i get stuck again hope you don't mind.

Many Thanks.
gargoyle67

Previous