substitute for girder...

Help each other out

substitute for girder...

Postby coach606 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:17 am

I'd like to setup a remote to control theatertek instead of using the mouse or keyboards. Wife getting annoyed again. I understand that I can spend $50 on girder to help set this up.

Is there a way I can use xlobby or another program to send keyboard commands from my remote while running theatertek? Money is tight right now and I actually can't spend the $50.

Thanks.
coach606

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:01 am

I believe so. Xlobby can send windows messages. windows messages can represent keypresses. xlobby has usb-uirt plugin.

If she is giving your hard time... take htpc away for a week or so... call it for example "yearly maintanance"
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dgemily on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:52 pm

girder 3.2.9 is free ;)
here is it : girder329.rar
dgemily

Postby electr0n on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:27 pm

HIP can do it as well and it's free.
http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/
I'm using it to control XLobby and WinDVD and it works great. I have a Harmony 880 remote with a USB-UIRT.
electr0n

How to do it with xlobby...

Postby coach606 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:19 am

Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out girder, but I'm also wondering how to use xlobby to send commands, especially keyboard commands.

Is there a guide on this kind of thing? I understand how to use the setup to make buttons that do simple things like execute a file. But otherwise I'm pretty clueless.

How can you get xlobby to issue keyboard commands?

Thanks.
coach606

Got TT working...

Postby coach606 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:08 am

Thanks for the free girder link. Got TT working with my remote now.

I still want to learn more about xlobby and how to create plugins and commands for it. If anyone can point to a guide, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
coach606

Postby Mannyman on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:35 am

Hi Coach606,
Have you tried the search function for this forum?
I entered "send keys" and found the following thread:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4403&highlight=send+keys
Which led to the following:
http://home.comcast.net/~artcrazy/xSendKeys.htm

Give Search a try it. It's fun.
Click on the magnifing glass titled Search.
Type :Guide
Hit enter and there is a goldmine of info.

HTH,
Manny
Mannyman

Re: Got TT working...

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:01 am

coach606 wrote:I still want to learn more about xlobby and how to create plugins and commands for it. If anyone can point to a guide, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Any C# book will do.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Over my head...

Postby coach606 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 am

I'm not a programmer. Did you mean a C+ programming book?

Can't say that I understand that post either. I guess I need to do some more studying.

I did try searching, but I didn't search under send. I was really looking for the wrong thing. It can be difficult for a newbie to know what to search for.

There also seems to be a lack of basic documentation around here. I mean, lots of people help out. But there isn't much that tells you straight up how to install a plugin if you really don't know what to do.

Thanks guys. I've got some reading to do.
coach606

Postby Mannyman on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:25 am

Coach606,
Believe it or not, some extreme newbies don't know about search when they first start on forums. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the ton of info here.
I agree that this software/hobby can be overwhelming. You have the perfect chance to help others by documenting everything you can, as you go. That way hopefully the next newbie (like you and me) that comes along will have it even easier.
One of the reasons this can be difficult is that many people have different set-ups, software/hardware, and different goals. You can tell by the different skins where one person goes for winamp listening while another may emphasize rss feeds, weather or running 3rd party apps.
All I wanted was some eye-candy frontend for my home automation program and got hooked. I ended up writing my stuff down in case there is the 1% chance someone is using the same setup I have.
Point is if you look at the amount of posts in this place , I'm sure someone has tried it or asked about it before. Took me a few tries to find what I was looking for too.
Warning:
Thing is while looking and reading alot of threads , I could see that the tolerance level for newbies asking for things readily available, would piss off the very people that can help you immensely. (Made me gun shy.) Don't get me wrong this place is a lot better than a lot of other forums, and tons of people are willing to lend you a hand, especially if you show that you made some effort.

Anyways (I write a bit much when drinking). What plugin are you having problems installing?

From what I gather plug-in writing = programming. The programming language recommended to you is C#.
I'm no code jockey either, but chances are someone's already written the plug-in you need, just write what you are tying to do.
You have the IR part down with Girder or HIP, do you still need help with Xlobby sending keyboard commands?
Mannyman