I'm baffled, is XLobby right for me, then? - multi room syst

Speak your mind

I'm baffled, is XLobby right for me, then? - multi room syst

Postby RoyN on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:59 am

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for this generic post, but I have been looking at a bunch of different Media center options in the last days and my decision becomes each time harder...

Here is what I would like to do:
- 1 PC in each room
- Digital Audio, Digita Video output (High Def)
- Central media server with DVDs, Audio Files, Fotos, etc, etc
- Rip CDs at any location (storage is always in central server)
- Play DVDs stored in the central server, AND play DVDs in local drive.
- NO LOCAL MEDIA (no movies/audio stroed on the room pc)
- Room PC connected to a LCD tv (16x9, DVI or Component)
- Ability to control through webbrowser, on tablet and pocket pc (2 interfaces, one for tablet one for pocketpc)
- Ability to play live tv through the network (using streamed tv, such as the Dreambox satellite box with streaming)

Basically, I have so far tried:
- Xbox Media Center - VERY good imho... does basically everything I want... BUT it is illegal to use, so it cant be used in this project, unfortunately.
- Media Portal - it is nice because it is similar to XBMC, but its web interface isnt nice enough...
- MythTV - the interface doesnt seem to be nearly as nice (simple) as XBMC
- Meedio, MCE, BeyondTV - havent really tried, but I think they dont offer the web server, and I know they arent as expandable (at least mce isnt)...

So is XLobby going to save me? Any other ideas in case XLobby wont cut it? if XLobby does work for me, is there anything else I need?

On another note: how is the xlobby development? is it being actively developped?

Thanks a lot for your help!
RoyN

Postby hjackson on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:19 pm

I use Xlobby to do everything you mentioned except for streaming live TV. I am certain that there are people doing this (streaming TV) with Xlobby and plugins (likely members of the French Team) but I have never tried to do this. BTW, the webclient works great.

hjackson
hjackson