Keeping SageTV on Top of other windows

title says it all

Keeping SageTV on Top of other windows

Postby chadwolcott on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:58 pm

A while back I asked if there was a way to keep SageTV on top of other windows and was informed of the nice little right-click option on the window's title bar. While this was an ok solution temporarily I was looking for a way that I could do it from a sendmessage command from Xlobby.

I'm sure someone else figured this out, but since I couldn't find a post on it I thought I'd share what I discovered. You can use sendmessage to do it with the following info:

Class: Sage.d
WParam: 0
LParam: 0

The only caveat is that you need to put a timer delay in before you send that command if you are doing a power on first. The window needs to "materialize" and register itself.

Happy Skinning

PS: BaddaBing, this might keep you from having to use the sendfocus program.
chadwolcott

Postby dgemily on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Hy chadwolcott,

Just for my information, did you try the plugin Xmovewindow ?

Later

Dge.
dgemily

Postby chadwolcott on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:58 pm

nope, never heard of it and frankly I would prefer to limit the use of any plug-in if there is a built-in command that performs the same functionality.

That said, I'd be happy to hear more about this plugin in case I could make use of it in another situation.
chadwolcott

Postby dgemily on Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:11 pm

We will try to translate the french documentation about this plugin.
it's plugin build by Badubo, look at my "signature"

You have to create a new text, put it where like you want and with the size like you want, the texte should be like this: "plugin>XMoveWindow>classname" and in ID: "screenname_classname"

example: to diplay media player classic in a window on the screen Clips:
ID : clips_MediaPlayerClassicW
Display : plugin>XMoveWindow>MediaPlayerClassicW

there are also some commands, via the event manager, that you can use.

Later.
dgemily

Postby BaddaBing on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:42 pm

I have SageTV support built into my HeavyMetal skin. I use a command line driven app called 'sendfocus.exe'. Like you I implement a delay if the command is sent in conjunction with a 'start' command. Feel free to dig into the SageTV event files in my skin to see if there is anthing there you can use.
-baddabing
BaddaBing

Postby chadwolcott on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:50 pm

I realize that, hence my PS. If you use the Always on Top switch you shouldn't need the focus switcher
chadwolcott

Postby BaddaBing on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:53 pm

:oops: duhhhhh....my mind is obviously not in gear today...
I should have read all the way through your post.
Sorry and Thanks for the Tip!
BaddaBing

Postby Twit on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:30 am

Chad,

Does this actually bring the window to the top (if behind xlobby) or just force it to stay ontop.

I have tried this and cannot get sage to 'pop' to the top. I run sage and xlobby at start up - then use girder to make xlobby the top app. If i try your tip i expected sage to come to the front - does not seem to work for me.

Later
Simon
PS Saw your post in the sage forum.
Twit

Postby chadwolcott on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:18 pm

Twit,

I'll have to check your case but I am doing a sage power on command to resume from sleep, which puts it in focus, then calling the always on top command.

EDIT: ok I checked...if sagetv is is behind xlobby and I use the aforementioned command it does seem to work, make sure you use SageTV as the window name too. Sage MUST be open though, this will not work if sage is asleep since the window doesn't exist.
chadwolcott