HTPC in Standby questions

Speak your mind

HTPC in Standby questions

Postby scottw on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:32 pm

I just started putting my HTPC's in standy to decrease heat, noise, and energy bills.
Does anyone else use standby mode on there PC's?

My main question is bringing it out of standby. I am using an MCE remote with it's IR receiver and I can just push the power button on the remote to go in and out of standby, this is on my main HTPC. I just added another HTPC in the bedroom which I installed the XL fat client on and will be streaming movies from the main one to the new one in the bedroom. Now to bring the one in the bedroom out of standby when I want to use it I can just use the same procedure as the main since I have the same remote setup for it as well. But how can I bring the main HTPC out of standby when the one in the bedroom wants to stream a movie. I tried setting the NIC on the main PC to "allow it to bring it out of standby" but that works for any network activity, which will be pretty constant and not reliable. Now I started messing with the option on the NIC "Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby" using what they call a "magic packet" and this works but I am trying to figure out how to have XL send this command and when.

Is anyone else using this or a similar procedure???

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby scottw on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Sorry just found this: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3006&highlight=standby

Not sure how I missed that one yesterday but I am still interested in how others may be doing this.

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby tswhite70 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:21 pm

I use standby on both my fat clients and my server. I use Depicus WOL w/ girder calling a batch file that runs the WOL to the servers MAC address on wakeup of any of my fat clients. See the following thread:
http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3006

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70