UnRAID question

Speak your mind

Re: UnRAID question

Postby BaddaBing on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 pm

by Marbles_00 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:08 am

Buddabing, have you switch to a FlexRAID system now? Or are you still using UnRAID?

Still on UnRAID, but ran across this looking for a storage solution for a buddy of mine and thought someone here on the forum might find it usefull. What looks interesting is the planned NAS project that will use MAID (mass array of idle disks) If the FlexRAID guys get that going I would be tempted to switch.
Last edited by BaddaBing on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaddaBing

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:38 am

BaddaBing wrote:Still on UnRAID, but ran across this looking for a storage solution for a buddy of mine and thought someone here on the forum might find it usefull. What looks interesting is the planned NAS project that will use MAID (mass array of idle disks) If the FlexRAID guys get that going I would be tempted to switch.

Did you forget the link?
lpg

Postby CiXel on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:03 pm

Here's the link:
http://www.openegg.org/FlexRAID.curi

I've been eying this for a while now as well. They just released version 1.0 on the 12th of December which is quite a milestone since I first stumbled upon it.
It does present some interesting alternatives however. My first thought with it is to use it to build some extra parity on another machine for UnRaid. This could be particularly useful across a network using the old drives pulled from the 'array'. I'm still curious about the speed and rebuilding, but you could also easily run this as part of a larger OS and get more millage out of your system. The fact that it's Windows and Linux brings to mind some some sort of whole home parity idea. They also seem to have better drive health monitoring in place. There are definately some interesting milestones set for themselves. I remember when UnRaid was where they are now...
CiXel

Postby sonofdbn on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 am

I looked at FlexRAID a while back but it seemed to be too experimental then to entrust data to it. I'll do more digging, but what are the views of people here? Have you tried it and do you think it's stable enough? I'm a long term UnRAID user and am quite happy with it, but it seems like FlexRAID is, well, more flexible.
sonofdbn

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 am

by lpg on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 am

BaddaBing wrote:
Still on UnRAID, but ran across this looking for a storage solution for a buddy of mine and thought someone here on the forum might find it usefull. What looks interesting is the planned NAS project that will use MAID (mass array of idle disks) If the FlexRAID guys get that going I would be tempted to switch.

Did you forget the link?

Nope, didn't forget it, that was just a response to a question where I did post the link ;-)

Take a look at my post on the previous page...
BaddaBing

Postby PhilB on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 am

I love experimenting but I agree. Unraid has been solid for me for over a year now and disks are so inexpensive that I have not seen the feature that would make me switch.
PhilB

Postby scottw on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm

I agree with Phil. I have been using UnRaid for a few months now and have had no problems with it. They have a great community of people that are willing to help with any problems. I may try it out to tinker with it though :lol:
scottw

Previous