Can I post this?

Speak your mind

Can I post this?

Postby john_m_92627 on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:36 pm

I guess someone has figured a way to download Nabster music from Winamp. Does that mean someone can do a plugin to download music through Xlobby?
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5671068-1.html?tag=nl.e497
If I can not post this delete it. But I figured it was on CNET it would be OK.
Thanks, John...
john_m_92627

Postby john_m_92627 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:34 am

I see a lot of people looking at this post. Does it not make since? Would this not be a great plugin? Is it possible :?:
John...
john_m_92627

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:08 am

I dont know why someone would make a plugin for this, you have to actually be registered on napster to do this right? So I guess the point of the plugin would be to download all your favorite artists to disk and save them.
stevenhanna6

Postby john_m_92627 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks for the response. It is also probably something that everyone would not want. And there also might be a copy right problem and no one needs any hassle!
Here is the main reason I liked it:
This year, I think the hardest-hitting digital music ad was Napster's, in which the company unveiled its subscription service to most of America. The new Napster To Go service's slogan was "Do the Math," which refers to how the subscription service will let you fill an MP3 player for $15, as opposed to the $10,000 it could cost you to fill an iPod if you purchased every song from the iTunes Music Store.

Only people that download a lot of music would want this. After a couple months it may just be a novelty after you have all the music you need. Unless you download new music?
Take care, John...
john_m_92627

Postby kevnclint on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Actually, the point of the plugin is not just for downloads, but for interactively accessing their database from the front end software. Napster members can listen to any of the tracks / albums Napster has online through their computers. With an HTPC set up to playing through a receiver, it's like having a monster CD library at your fingertips that is constantly growing.

For me, this is great! Right now I'm listening to U2's new album. Why pay money for the new CD when I can have access to tens of thousands of complete CDs online? And why should I download the album and waste my HD space when I can listen to it from their database whenever I want?

Windows MCE has a plugin for Napster that can access the database so you can sit on your lazy butt on the couch and use your remote to browse their online catalog and play music. I think it would be a great addition to xLobby to have a plugin that did this as well.
kevnclint

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:14 pm

I dont know how napster works, but can I copy music from napster to my mp3 player for workouts....just asking.

I see what you mean by a napster plugin though.
stevenhanna6

Postby kevnclint on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:12 pm

I dont know how napster works, but can I copy music from napster to my mp3 player for workouts....just asking.

It depends on which Napster deal you sign up for. There are really three ways to use it.

You can (for free) search their online database and listen to 30 seconds of any of their tracks. If you want to own one, it usually costs $0.99 for an individual track and around $10 for a whole album.

Or you can sign up for their $9.99 / month plan, which is what I do. It allows you to listen to the complete song / album (not just 30 seconds) whenever you want (there are some songs that are only available for purchase, but relatively few). You can also download the music you like and keep it in your computer(s) for free. But it can't be transferred to CD or MP3 player unless you purchase the track as mentioned previously, and when you cancel Napster, your unpurchased downloaded music no longer works. I really only listen to music at home or work where I have computers, so this option for me is sort of like paying $10 a month to have access to a huge music library.

Finally, as john_m_92627 was saying, you can pay $14.99 / month and get Napster-to-Go, which allows you to download unlimited MP3s to your compatible MP3 player. Again, you can't transfer it to another computer or CD unless you purchase the tracks (not really sure how they do that...), but if you're using it primarily for the gym or whatever, it keeps your MP3 player filled with new music all the time for the monthly price of one CD.

Ok, that's my little rant. Sorry if it seems like I'm marketing it, but I just signed up 2 weeks ago, and I'm really happy with it. I noticed someone was listening to Zero7 in the Now Playing section and thought about how I hadn't heard their latest album, so I found it in Napster and have been listening to it while typing away.

So anyone up for tackling a plugin that would integrate Nap seamlessly with xLobby? :D
kevnclint