Skinning questions

Speak your mind

Skinning questions

Postby onion on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:29 pm

Hi,
I a newbie at the xlobby. Crossed over from the cinemare thing. This program is the S*^%T! I have a question - thought maybe someone here might be able to help me out;

I've been playing around with the skin editor however, due to my just experimenting with the skin editor sometimes I want to "undo" the changes or revert back to the original button template. Is there a way of doing this type of experimenting without screwing up the actual screens? Like a reset button?

thanks,
Onion
onion

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:35 pm

damn another person that wants "undo" it will be in the next release :)
stevenhanna6

Postby onion on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:28 pm

Well, I managed to screw up my screen - had to re-install. So, just thought it would be a nice touch. :)

Thanks,
Onion
onion

lookie here at this skin!

Postby onion on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:59 pm

Found this skin/interface at touchpoint

http://www.touchpointsolutions.com/nofl ... ibox.html#

scrl. down to the interface - click to enlarge.

Any chance this skin could be done in xlobby?

onion[/img]
onion

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:24 am

there are some nice design ideas there.

the only things you wont be able to reproduce if you tried to make a perfect copy of it would be

1. the alphabet selection....looks like some sort of wheel....xlobby uses an overlay....or you have to specify a button for each letter. But its much easier to use the alphabet overlay in xlobby to pick a letter...i think.

2. the artist name under the cover art....xlobby shows it as an overlay on top of the cover art.

all the graphics could easily be done in photoshop. But there is a ton of stuff that this skin is missing if you compared it to the default xlobby skin. To me that skin is way to simple.
stevenhanna6

Postby samgreco on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:44 am

But its much easier to use the alphabet overlay in xlobby to pick a letter...i think.

Which brings up the question.... can I use that overlay in other screens? With different commands? The reason I ask is that I have an UltimateTV box (like Tivo) that I control via my tablet. The thing I miss is using it's keyboard for searches and such. The overlay may be the answer.

To me that skin is way to simple.

Sometimes simple is good :)

Sam
samgreco

Postby onion on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:52 am

I agree, there is a lot more function in the default skin with xlobby. It's just that I like the simplistic way of the design. I have a game room and I don't want to train each guest (and we have a lot of guests) to use the interface. This simple 'lil interface would be great for a pary mode option imo. I was thinking that the wheel looks to be controlled by the arrow buttons on each side of it. Wouldn't it be do-albe if only the middle letter changed and the other letters were not shown. giving the effect of the dial thing yet using an overlay to only change that shown letter?

Onion

ps. I must learn to skin! :)
onion

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:42 pm

I was thinking that the wheel looks to be controlled by the arrow buttons on each side of it. Wouldn't it be do-albe if only the middle letter changed and the other letters were not shown. giving the effect of the dial thing yet using an overlay to only change that shown letter?

not sure if thats a great idea if your trying to keep things simple.....if someone wanted to get from letter A to Z they might click the button 25 times....with the overlay they see the whole alphabet....one click and then it dissapears.

I have finished the undo/save commands for the skineditor so those will be in the next release.

sam, I havent bothered with the search stuff yet...but I'll probably tackling it soon. I also finished the "mimic"...works great.....I just have to test a few more things.
stevenhanna6

Postby samgreco on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:37 am

Actually, was just asking if the overlay could be used on a different page.
samgreco

Postby ThE ScReW on Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:44 am

Where is the save / undo button ?????? :roll:
ThE ScReW

Postby noviceboy on Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:39 pm

@The Screw

If I answer your question will you please replace your animated signature?. It's annoying when reading forum text. :lol:

The answer is here

http://www.xlobby.com/help/skin.php
noviceboy

Postby ThE ScReW on Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:54 pm

THX
ThE ScReW

Postby noviceboy on Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:09 pm

Good man. You can have an animation just that one was a little big and distracting for the eyes.

Anyway a big thankyou from my brain and eyes. :lol:

P.s Search on http://www.yahoo.com for "home automation" USA is way ahead on these things and I suspect you will find all the utilities you need there without writing your own.
noviceboy

Postby ThE ScReW on Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:28 pm

noviceboy wrote:Good man. You can have an animation just that one was a little big and distracting for the eyes.

Anyway a big thankyou from my brain and eyes. :lol:

P.s Search on http://www.yahoo.com for "home automation" USA is way ahead on these things and I suspect you will find all the utilities you need there without writing your own.

Offcourse you are wright ;-)
But i just want to learn programming and i want to have a dutch home automation program, All that fucking english stuff, i hate it!

That's why i'm also translating xlobby. Later i want to sell all the things like xlobby (hard and software) so it wo!uld be nice if i have my own home automation program or and plugin that i made for xlobby.
ThE ScReW