Memory usage and PC games

Speak your mind

Memory usage and PC games

Postby AtTheGates on Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:32 am

Is there a way to reduce the amount of memory used by xlobby+winamp. I have configured a screen to launch my pc games but am concerned about there amount of memory being used to run xlobby in the background. It would be nice if I could close winamp and reduce the amount of memory used by xlobby before starting the game. After exiting the game there could be a screen with a Restore button that would start winamp and reload what was dumped. I believe I can close and restart winamp but not reduce the memory for xlobby. Any ideas?
AtTheGates

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:20 pm

I havent done much to reduce xlobbys memory footprint, but it shoudn't really matter...windows manages the memory so if your game requires additional memory it will swap winamp and xlobby out of the ram. Are you noticing some major slowdowns or something from launching the game from xlobby?
stevenhanna6

Postby AtTheGates on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:49 pm

Nothing major but I have noticed increased time when loading Battlefield 1942 levels lauched from xlobby. I just did some minor testing and the maps I tested took 10-20% longer to load. Not really a problem but it was enough to notice before I verified it with a watch. I have yet to notice a difference during gameplay.
AtTheGates

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:54 pm

not sure if this might help, but maybe making xlobby minimize before the game launch. Sometimes minimizing an app will make windows free up alot of memory. Take a look at the task manager and see how much the cpu is being used, and even ram. Removing screens you dont use can also reduce the amount of memory xlobby needs. Other than that...I really wont be working on the memory footprint for awhile.
stevenhanna6