Music database display

Help each other out

Music database display

Postby Arthur on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:01 am

Hello,

I'm trying to create my own music database for clasical music. The database is ok, but now I want it to display in a certain way.
It should be 3 columns. The first should display a list of artists (mozart). When an artist is chosen the second should display different "albums" (requim etc) and then the third should display tracks within the album.
It sounds very simple and it should be possible. It looks a bit like the musicviewer screen. However, I can't figure out how it's done.
Any suggestions?
Arthur
Arthur

Postby edgley on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:27 pm

what have you got working so far?

To add your database to a page, all you need to do is type (in the text box on the add section):

category>database_name>artist

If you then add another one, which says this:

category>database_name>album

Xlobby takes care of the hard work, and updates the album, depending on what artist you have choosen.
edgley

Postby Arthur on Sat May 01, 2004 6:26 am

:(
Well maybe I'm completly on the wrong track. Here is what I've done. I'm using 40.2 pre 14

I created a new database "classic" in the setup--> database --> import section. It uses the following metamask:
\\(?<artist>.*)\\(?<album>.*)\\(?<track>.*)\..*
Music is stored like this:
D:\Klassiek\Bach, Johann Sebastian\cello suite no.3\13 - suite no. 3, prélude.mp3. And the database starts at d:\klassiek

THis is what gets stored in the database:
Code: Select all
<item>
  <parameter>D:\Klassiek\Bach, Johann Sebastian\cello suite no.3\13 - suite no. 3, prélude.mp3</parameter>
  <display>Suite No. 3, Prélude</display>
  <type>track</type>
- <information>
  <tracknumber>013</tracknumber>
  <trackname>Suite No. 3, Prélude</trackname>
  <trackfilename>13 - suite no. 3, prélude.mp3</trackfilename>
  <artist>Yo-Yo Ma - J.S. Bach</artist>
  </information>
 </item>

Now I want to have lists, so I think I need a category. In the skin editor I added:
screen --> add category --> classic_1
Then in the "edit category" tab I linked this category to my classic database.
I can set it to display teh following:
%display% (what is shown in winamp)
%albumname% (albumname)
trackname and others don't work. I think that has to do with the a mistake in the metamask.

I can't get the list to update eachother, but you say this is automaticly done, so most probebly, I've a problem with the metamask and database :-(
Can what I want be done easyer? If I create a textfield with the text:
category>classic>artist
It stays empty.

Any sugestions ?
Arthur

EDIT:
Very strange, but now it works using this metamask:
\\(?<artist>.*)\\(?<album>.*)\\(?<name>.*)\..*
Other settings are:
Import type: custom
Folder: container
Last edited by Arthur on Sun May 09, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur

Postby edgley on Sat May 01, 2004 11:12 am

All my problems have been because of bad xml.

I have not been able to understand meta masks. I would suggest going on mIRC and asking there.

What I would do, would be to use Xlobby inbuilt music database to make the initial database.
I would then change the name of it in the database directory to "classic" and then go back in to X and try using that.

I know it is not perfect, but I have found that if you have a work around, it is better to use it, and invest the time into the skin, rather than the backend working ideally.
edgley