Multiple Servers?

Help each other out

Postby Tracie on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:35 am

HOWEVER, I would highly recommend that you run more connections than you think you need now. Run multiple CAT5 runs per location. Run more quad-shielded RF cable. When I ran my cable tv stuff here, I didn't think about getting satellite with UltimateTV (like Tivo) that would need 2 satellite runs AND an antenna feed for HDTV OTA AND.... well you get the picture.

Yeah, fortunately I knew about the requirements for Tivo & such, so I think I've got that covered. I've been doing more reading in the past 24 hours about the HA stuff - based on that & what you're saying it looks like the wireless stuff will work, so I guess I won't worry about it. Whew, one less thing to worry about. :D

Moving a lot is part of the life of a builder, so I knew what I was getting into when I married him. Fortunately he's altered his profession in that he just does estimating & consulting now, so I'm hoping that this means a break for us with moving all of the time (crossing fingers/toes/eyes). :lol:
Tracie

Postby samgreco on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:44 am

Moving a lot is part of the life of a builder, so I knew what I was getting into when I married him.

We're just nomadic :lol:
samgreco

Postby sdumas on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:13 am

I went overboard with wiring. I have 2x Cat5, 2x RG6, 2x 4 wires plus speaker wires in every rooms. In some case in two locations in a single room. They all concentrate in the basement under my stairway. My HT, which is in the basement as well, is also linked to the "stairway". I ran a PVC pipe between the HT and the stairway (in the ceiling) in case I needed additional wiring.

I am using X10 in the HT. It has not been stable enough for me to run the whole house with X10 so far.

In the HT, I have a VGA cable, 10x RG6, 4 x Cat 5, 2 x S-video, and 2 x 4 wires in the ceiling near the projector, and 1x VGA, 2x S-video, 2x USB, 2x Cat 5 and 2x 4 wires next to the theater seating. This allows me to have a touchscreen, and plenty of input for either a game console, a digital camera or other portable devices and who knows what else.

Even with all of that I forgot a few things... In the HT, I forgot a DVI cable and component input in case I switched from my CRT to whatever in the future...

The only thing left to do now is ... putting it all together. The HT is done, but the rest of the house is not.

Oh, fun, fun, fun!
sdumas

Postby samgreco on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:20 am

I am using X10 in the HT. It has not been stable enough for me to run the whole house with X10 so far.

Have you tried a phase coupler? Solved all of my stability problems.
samgreco

Previous