Old to new

Speak your mind

Old to new

Postby shaggyboiler on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:00 pm

I'm been a xlobby user for some time with the old "free" version that was avaible. Today I downloaded the new Pre Release 6. I have to admit I'm really likeing it. I want to use it, but I'm worried about not having a stable system down the road. Anyone know a way to use both the old and new on the same PC?

If not I guess I could image my old PC to disc and then test this version out and then image back if I need to.
shaggyboiler

Re: Old to new

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:08 pm

just install the new version into a differant directory...

i have the old version in c:\program files\xlobby and the new one in c:\program files\xlobby.beta.

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 pm

shaggyboiler wrote: Anyone know a way to use both the old and new on the same PC?

100% prob free way to run them on same machine is to use 2 isolated harddrives with separate os.

Ive been thinking about this aproach because of my late HD brake down. Not only could u achieve redundant back up system with this approach, but same principle would also allow u to have more realistic test environment, cause it allows u to have your test system within your "production" system, but still totally isolated.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:29 am

Thats a bit drastic when seperate directories works without issues :)
S Pittaway

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:22 am

S Pittaway wrote:Thats a bit drastic

For OPs needs, certainly. But if u need sand box your test system or added redundancy, i think that idea is brilliant option. Ultimately i would like to run my HTPC with four logical drives (which each could be composed of several physical drives truogh RAID, but which each would be atleast one separate physical drive)

1 Real operational system.
2 Redundancy system, bit per bit copy of drive one.
3 Test system...to sandbox volatile on-development xPerT versions, to guarantee that development has no ill affact on WAF (wishing i had to care about that one...)
4 for local media content accessible for all system on other drives.

Now i would like to ask u guys, if im gonna do this, where do i stand legally? i mean i most certainly dont wanna pay for 3 licenses of WinMCE OS for this... Anybody knows if machine tied OEM license is sold per machine, or per installation basis? And how does posible win spyware interprent this? Will i be blacklisted cause itll call home from 3 separate installations? or is their spy smart enough to report three installation run on separate times with same machine configuration? i hope theres micro$oft employe here who can answer... but i doubt nobody has actually guts to admit working for that company...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:42 am

if you want to keep developement isolated from the real system would recomend using a virtual machine (vm-ware do a free version), you can install anything on it c# ect without any impact on the real system. also any dev cockups dont anoy the wife :)

for the system i simply have a ghost image of the system, in the event of a massive cockup (or a crash) i can have the system up and running in a clean state in a few mins...

Since i had a "hardware issue" and lost serveral hard disks in one go, I have gone off raid - i lost all of data on my raid 5 array even tho i still had half of the disks.

raid 1 would have been differant of course (but not practical for 2.5 Tb).
S Pittaway

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 pm

S Pittaway wrote:for the system i simply have a ghost image of the system, in the event of a massive cockup (or a crash) i can have the system up and running in a clean state in a few mins...

Thats a good too incase of software probs... but i was imagining hardware failure, just as u need to demo your system... but if u can recover from the embarrasement by simply rebooting from different HD... no biggie...

Screwing box open changing HDD (even iff u have one lying around or can shop one in 15 minutes) and downloading image... its guaranteed to ruin the evening.
P3rv3rt B3ar