Touchscreen

Help each other out

Touchscreen

Postby MR on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:48 pm

Not sure where to ask this question, but is there a good place that has cheap 12-15" LCD touch screens? I guess all I need is the screen, inverter and PC interface. If it comes in a plastic frame or stand I will probably just dissasemble it anyway so I can make a flush mount in a wall.

With a quick Google search, prices seem to be around $500-$600 , and if that is the case I am thinking this would make sense http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=669824&Sku=P109-1540 as it is wireless and has other bells and whistles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MR
MR

Postby Hiller on Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:52 pm

I should have a Progear on the way as we speak. It's an older version tablet PC that doesn't require a stylus to use. I'll let you know how it runs the client but I'm assuming that is shouldn't be a problem at all.

Steve
Hiller

Postby jowaldo on Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:59 am

yeah MR that is sounds pretty good especially for what it does. Regular lcd touchsrcreens are too much less.
jowaldo

Postby galtigor on Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:59 pm

Word of warning however... these things use Remote Desktop (terminal server) on the computer they attach to. The computer has to be running winXP in order for it to work. There are a few limits on Remote Desktop but not many. I thought about using this type of configuration but when your using the tablet any regular monitor attached to the computer will black out to a screen saver. That wouldn't work for me as I want to be able to hook a projector up to the second ouput on the card and watch video while still using the touch screen. In the end I went with a cheap lcd screen and added touch to it. That way I could have both monitors working at the same time.

Greg
galtigor

Postby samgreco on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:16 pm

galtigor, I think you may be mistaken on this:

Word of warning however... these things use Remote Desktop (terminal server) on the computer they attach to.

A tablet PC typically is a complete PC, as are the Progears. There were 2 versions of Progears. 1 with Linux and 1 with Windows 98. With an 802.11 card, they are complete networked PCs that will work as XLobby clients.

I think you are thinking of "Smart Displays".

Sam
samgreco

Postby Hiller on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:38 pm

Sam,

I think galtigor was saying that the wireless LCD uses Remote Desktop. If that is the case then I would really question going that route because it can lead to some real problems. Do a search on avsforum's HTPC section for stuff like remote desktop.

That's why I went with the progear. First of all it's pretty cheap, is touch sensitive, has no fans, and runs as a complete PC (even if it may be slow) and should have enough horsepower to run the XLobby client. At least that's the hope.

Steve
Hiller

Postby samgreco on Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:05 pm

galtigor - Sorry if I miss-read.

Steve - Let me know how the Progear works. They're getting cheap enough to consider now :)

Sam
samgreco

Postby chadwolcott on Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:52 am

Sure, if you can find one. I've been trying without too much luck
chadwolcott

Postby MR on Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:20 pm

Just saw this in an avs post http://www.xenarc.com/. What do you guys think the minimum size would be for controlling Xlobby? I guess it depends on the skin that's used, but I'm wonding if 7" is too small. It would be pretty slick to have this flush mounted in the wall with a pivotable arm extender thing.
-MR
MR

Postby rhinoman on Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:02 pm

I picked up one of those at a computer trade show last week, As far as size is concerened its jsut about okay, tunning 800*600 the icons are a bit squashed but acceptable (native res is 800*480). It really requires a PDA style stylus to work well though.
rhinoman