yesterdays build of xlobby

V3 help and support questions

yesterdays build of xlobby

Postby lar282 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:28 am

Hello
Wes, steven can u please tell us more about the fixes that are in the latest build.
updatelog in the installer says.(old old info)
June 14,2007
+"output to list" button added in Setup, under "databases"...this will creates a "lists" directory and output a db's list there
+"xlobby>internal volume add", adjust xlobby's internal volume (click,startup sounds)

download page says:
(kiosk mode fix, web server command, thread kill/set name command, installer fix to keep license on reinstall/multi installs, xweather fix)

What is web server command?
How do we use thread kill/set name command
what was the bug in xweather fix

regards

//Lasse
lar282

Re: yesterdays build of xlobby

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 am

yep, to be honest the "old" updatelog.txt was more useful...

Steve used to add a brief description of what the change/fix was and how to use it.
S Pittaway

Postby wesblack on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Your right, these fixes and updates usually are done on the fly so we can move quickly each day and so that our customers and system integratrors have new items created, solutions added or bugs fixed right away. It was our intention to add the details on the forum along the way but since we have been so busy and close to a xLobby Ver 3 release, we held off. So with no further delays or excuses here is what some of these new commands, features will do.

1. Kiosk Mode: This is located under F2, Misc, it will disable any keyboard commands used by a user to exit the xLobby GUI or show the windows interface, such as ALT+F4, Windows key, Windows Key+M, etc.

2. XWeather Plugin: There was a few bugs that was preventing the updates for weather details and extended forcast images. (Fixed)

3. License reinstall/multi installs bug: This was an issue that effected a xLobby licensed machine. If a user un-installed or deleted the license key from there machine, then it was necessary to call Calrad to re-license the machine again. If you now remove the xLobby software from a machine by deleting the folder or updating to a new build and selecting a re-install the license will still be valid and not require you to contact calrad to re-license the machine once again.

4. Kill set name command: This is a really cool command. It will allow you to start any event in xLobby and send another event to kill the process. good for coutdown timers, ramping volume up/down, sequence of IP camera feeds, start or cancel a macro event, etc., Example: I created an event that I wanted to play 20 second samples of each track on a track list so friends could just sample my music database so when this event called Track Preview is started it will move thru the track playlist sampling each track for 20 seconds ea. then move to the next track and so forth until it reaches the last track. So to cancel the event at any time the user can select Cancel Preview to kill the event and my music interface works as it was before the event was ever started. I am sure there are many possibilities that each user will find very usefull. You can use the button show/hide event to create a text field that will indicate to the user they are in Music preview mode or not.

Screenshot01.jpg

Screenshot03.jpg

Screenshot02.jpg

5. Web Server Command: This is a much needed command and will provide users the ability to send events from any xLobby machine to another with individual password protection. xLobby Machine 1, For example under F2, XNet, start the webserver on any machine you want to send commands to, write down the Server started ip address and port numbers. Now on another xLobby machine connected on the same network, lets say xLobby Machine 2 create a test menu and add 5 new buttons for testing labeled add 5 new events called 1. Next Track, 2. Track Previous, 3. Play Album, 4. Volume Up, 5. Volume Down . So now lets say we want to play and album and then change the track selection or volume on xLobby Machine 1.

xLobby Machine 2, under F2, Skins, create a new group label it Remote Server Command xlobby Machine 1, add 5 new events called 1. Next Track, 2. Track Previous, 3. Play Album, 4. Volume Up, 5. Volume Down . Under commands goto Web Server Command enter the IP address and port number into the first field from xLobby Machine 1, in the next field add the server password from xLobby Machine 1, now add the next field add the event group you want, example (Music) and in the next field add the Event Name you want to execute (Play Album, Next Track, Mute, etc). So lets create the event to trigger start play album on xLobby Machine 1, enter the server and password information, now in the Event Group field add Music, in the Event Name field add Play Album. Next goto your test menu and in the skin editor select the Play Album button, under the event tab of the skin editor, click event add the event for Play Album. Exit the Skin Editor and the press the Play Album button on the menu and Music should begin to play on xLobby Machine 1.

Screenshot07.jpg

In future releases we will have a better system in-place to update everyone on new features and changes to the platform. :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesblack

Postby sdumas on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Alleluyah!!!!

I love the web server command. I asked Steven over three years ago about that. This will allow to have a true intelligent client. So, on client 1 you could have the menus to control a photo slide show, and on client 2 you only display the photos...

That's great!!!!

I will now finally install Xlobby latest version and start upgrading my setup!!!!! I am still using an 18 months old version on my production systems.

Just one question on this, (I haven't tried it for real yet) how is the performance? Would that be more efficient (or at least as efficient) then Girder let's say?
sdumas

Postby wesblack on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm

It's fast and works in real time.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby lar282 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm

thank u wes for the info.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby smarty on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:47 pm

I have been quite for a long time, but ever watching and waiting. Three comments:

1) Thanks for the update on the bug fixes and how the program "enhancements" work (per your post above). This is GREAT!
2) The running update bug fix enhancement log within Xlobby (the "old" updatelog.txt) is still valuable if maintained (maintained for version 3?)
3) The WEB SERVER COMMAND is truly a GREAT functionality...long overdue. It allows for me to use my touchscreens to control my main system connected to my 60" Plasma and whole house audio. Other control schemes (Server + Mimic or thin client just did not work out well). OUTSTANDING!!!! :lol:
smarty

Web Server Command and Overlays

Postby smarty on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Ok I am using the Web Server Command on my touchscreen to cause my Xlobby server to navigate and display as the touchscreen does (most of this works great - this feature is needed).

However, when using the weather map overlays or when using the pictureviewer overlay, the overlay on the server machine appears to be "behind" the main screen that is displayed. I can tell this because when I run the mouse over the server machine, the overlay buttons suddenly become visible.

How can I get these overlays on the server machine to "be in front"?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Side Comment:
The ability to have a remote system(s) (ie a fat client touchscreen) control a server system that is driving the whole house video and audio is what I am going after.

Xnet mode with a thin client is neat, but it has too many limitations. Using a web browser with the web server leads to a poor interface (on the remote system).

Using the Web Server command on a fat client is the ideal solution assuming you can get the main Xlobby server system to respond (display video, audio and the Xlobby screens and overlays) is a manner that works.

GOOD WORK is Happening!
Thanks Wes and Steven
smarty

Postby wesblack on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:31 am

Webserver Command & Overlay bug has been fixed and will be in the next posted release.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby smarty on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:44 am

Thank You!!!
:D :D :D :D :D
smarty

Postby sdumas on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 am

Here is a quick and tricky question.

If we are working actively on the current V2 product, do we have to start all over again to "upgrade" to 3.0?

Will there be an upgrade path?

Do we have to re-design all the menus and screens? What about databases and events? Do we have to start again?

Thanks!
sdumas

Postby wesblack on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:34 pm

If you upgrade to xLobby Ver 3 the only things effected are any skin changes from the default V2, setting media paths for a full install, some settings under F2. If you do a partial install then everything you have, skin changes, media paths and F2 events should work fine in Ver 3 but with the new features and program improvements.

Wes Black \
wesblack