Girder Idiot I am

Help each other out

Girder Idiot I am

Postby jji666 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:48 pm

OK, I've searched, read, and tried, and feel like I must be missing something basic. I cannot get XL to send an eventstring to Girder.

What I want to do is control PowerDVD ultra and tried directly with sendmessage to PowerDVD and that didn't work. Then I tried the sendkeys plugin and PowerDVD didn't respond to that. But It does respond to Girder commands and am able to get PowerDVD to do various things initiated within Girder. I was also able to take a USB_UIRT plugin for Girder and thus be able to use an IR remote to control PowerDVD within Girder.

But I cannot initiate a command from within XLobby and have Girder react. Is there a specific Girder plugin I need to load or activate? It saw the USB-UIRT event strings right away, no problem. I've tried to initiate eventstrings from XL and it simply doesn't see them. (this is Girder 3.2, somewhere near the last free version).

Can someone let me know the appropriate configuration for Girder to be able to learn an event string from XL? (I tried "capture" but this is a command, not an eventstring, within Girder - it captures the command from XL but this is a way to mirror that command, not initiate a command from it). Am I supposed to have some Girder plugin loaded? Am I supposed to configure XL to know the path to the Girder exe? I don't get it. I know I am missing something basic. Since I can cause Girder to learn a USB-UIRT input, I gotta figure I have something configured incorrectly so that Girder is deaf to XL.

Thanks for the help!
jji666

Re: Girder Idiot I am

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 pm

have you tried the xremote plugin. Been a while since I last tried it so...I'm really rusty on helping you along further with it, but there is a good tutorial on how to set it up and use it. The tutorial can be found here:
http://xlobbystuff.googlepages.com/xremoteus.pdf

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby tswhite70 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Ok....this is a simple example for Girder 3.2 and the Pre-Calrad XL. You need the SendCommand plugin enabled if I'm not mistaken.

In Girder:
1) Create new command or multicommand+command.
2) Select OS\Execute as the command "type"
3) Under File type: notepad.exe
4) Hit Apply.
5) In the Event drop down box choose "Girder Event"
6) Select the command or multicommand you just created.
6) Click "Learn Event"
7) Type in the name that you want, in this case "Test", click Select.

In XL:
1) F2\Events
2) In the Commands windows select Girder\Send Event String
3) Type "Test" in the Event String box.
4) Click the Test button and notepad should open on your screen.

That's it, pretty simple but easy to get mixed up. You don't need to create new commands in Girder just for Xlobby either. Let's say you already have a command in Girder mapped to a IR event. Just follow steps 5-7 above to add another event (in this case a Girder Event) to the same command and then call it from XL.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby jji666 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I tried that step by step before. I have no problem creating a command in Girder and seeing the desired results initiated within girder or by an eventstring originating elsewhere, like the USB-UIRT plugin, but just not within XL.

I looked up SendCommand and that seems to be a command used in an XL plugin to send a command TO XL. But is there some plugin or toggle I need to enable within XL to send the eventstring to Girder?
jji666

Postby tswhite70 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 pm

On the Xlobby side you do need the "gireventlib.dll" in your Xlobby root folder, although this should be there by default it could be problem if it got removed somehow. What version of XL are you using?

On the Girder side there should be nothing else you need except that the gireventlib.dll that your application is using (in this case XL) is compatible with your version of Girder.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby jji666 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm using Version 3.2 beta 16 of Girder, one of the later free versions, and then the second to final PAID version of XL (i.e. some people complained of issues with the final version of XL2 so I stayed with the version I registered back in November). I had a version of gireventlib.dll dated from 2002 in the XL directory; I then downloaded one from 2004 that I replaced it with. I'll go back and try again with the original '02 version just to be sure that I have scientifically reduced all variables, but if anyone has any other suggestions, or a version of that dll they know works with Girder 3.2, much appreciated. Usually things eventually work; this one has my scratching my head.

Thanks again for all the help!
jji666

Postby tswhite70 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:48 am

I'm on the March 4, 2007 version of Xlobby (last free version I think). Girder 3.2.9 and gireventlib.dll from 11/13/2002.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby jji666 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:32 pm

I really appreciate everyone's help. As it turned out, it worked once I installed Girder 3.29b the last free version. So it may have been an incompatibility between my version of Girder and the dll.

On to the next challenge!
jji666