Client Not Working

Speak your mind

Client Not Working

Postby hjackson on Mon May 10, 2004 6:38 am

I am having problems with the client/server feature. When I activate my Xlobby client on my other PC, I get a picture of my server/Xlobby screen, but the buttons do not work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks in advance for your help.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby dalanik on Mon May 10, 2004 7:03 am

I played a bit with client/server stuff over weekend, since I have several PCs in a network at home, it would be a pity not to try it :-)

Well, here's what I got:

I start server, everything OK. I set IP adress of the server in config for client, same startup screen as on server. OK. It connects and displays the picture.

But then I get unexpected results. Maybe this is OK - I don't know.

First of all, It's impossible to navigate using keyboard. I could navigate only with mouse, and buttons react to click. But when I mouseover a button, it doesn't change it's color as on server.

Second, I am able to browse to the sub-screens, but when I click on i.e. picture to be displayed fullscreen - nothing happens.

Third, when I run slideshow - first picture is displayed, and then they don't change. Maybe there needs to be some sort of manual update or such, but I don't know how or why.

When I play film, the film starts on the server (I suppose this is OK). Is this feature meant to be used with multiple monitors?

When I play audio, it plays on the server and this is OK - or better, it would be OK if I had 2 soundcards (on my current server I don't since I'm using my notebook for the moment)

Mimic works, but not 100% since images are not displayed fullscreen, that is if I turn mimic on, and do something on the client, the server mimics, but not the other way round.

D.
dalanik

Postby Hiller on Mon May 10, 2004 7:09 pm

Hey Guys...Now that I have some free time again I plan on spending more time with XLobby. I bought a tablet PC a few weeks ago that I haven't had any real time to play with so I think that's what I am doing tonight. I'll report back with any info I get.

Some problems may be attributed to the way a given skin is setup. What skins are you guys using?

Steve
Hiller

Postby hjackson on Tue May 11, 2004 1:59 am

The client/server didn't work with the default skin. Some button presses would work, but not properly (ie. the "Music" button would go to the "Movies" screen) and then the whole thing would freeze. I now use the Colby skin (utterly beatiful skin!), and no button presses work at all. I am just stuck with my static menu screen :( .

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Hiller on Tue May 11, 2004 12:56 pm

hjackson,

If I have time tonight I'll load up Colby's skin and his client and see what happens on my side...

Steve
Hiller

Postby hjackson on Wed May 12, 2004 12:07 am

Thanks Hiller, but as I also had problems with the default skin, I think I may be having a more fundamental problem. Either way, I can't wait to see your results!

hjackson
hjackson

Postby hjackson on Thu May 20, 2004 3:17 am

Hiller, did you ever find anything out about the Colby skin? Can anyone here help me out with my client/server problem?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Hiller on Thu May 20, 2004 5:24 pm

Sorry man, I haven't had time. Personal life stuff changed all my plans real fast. Hopefully I'll have time to play with XLobby soon though. Maybe someone else can help in the mean time...

Steve
Hiller

WTH

Postby hjackson on Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:30 am

I just checked out the new documentation. The protocal for the servers.txt given was:

server:192.168.1.100
screen:menu
resolution:auto
quality:100%

When the heck was that implimented?? As well, using that protocal doesn't even get me connected to my server, nevermind allow it to function properly. I'm using Xlobby2Pre14 with the Pre17 update. So which protocal should I be using, the one in the webpage documentation section or the one in the Readme file in the Client folder?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Roscoe62 on Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:36 am

hjackson,

Those instructions on the documentation page refer to versions from 40.2 pre 21 onwards. For your version, just the first line is sufficient. That new stuff only came in over the weekend.

Cheers
Ross
Roscoe62

Postby hjackson on Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:17 pm

OK. I haven't seen pre21 in the download section. Is that the version in the announcement section that Steven said was not known to be stable yet?
Either way, I am confused about some other aspects of the client server.
My other computers seem to fare better with the client/server connections but it seems that the buttons are off (ie. you have to press a centimeter away from the target button to activate it). Is this due to the different resolutions between the client and server? Do all the clients and servers have to be the same resolution for the key presses to work properly?

hjackson
hjackson