So Xlobby, that would always be free, is not free anymore?

Speak your mind

So Xlobby, that would always be free, is not free anymore?

Postby zewt on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Have not been on the site in a while, but I see that Xlobby is not that free app. that it was always promised to be? Or am I missing something?
zewt

Re: So Xlobby, that would always be free, is not free anymore?

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:47 am

but I see that Xlobby is not that free app. that it was always promised to be? Or am I missing something?

Yeah, you are missing something. The fact that you still can download the free xlobby, so in a sense it is still available, it just isn't updated anymore. The majority of plugins still work. If you want constant updates to the main core, and a new skinning engine...and alot of other flashy things, then you have to pay for that.

You know, no offense, your about 2 years too late to be bringing this up again. If you choose to continue to use the free version, there are plenty of us still around that will be willing to lend you a hand should your require it. Or you could try one of the other free aps, such as: Meedio(s), XBMC, MediaPortal, GBPVR, GAM, or one of the many Linux flavours.

Good luck.
Marbles_00

Postby zewt on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 pm

2 years too late? To be bringing it up again?

As a very long-time user - All I know is that it was stated that Xlobby would always be free, never be a commercial product.

I have been away for a while, but just found it interesting that "always" was over pretty fast.

Whatever spin you wish to put on it, I still am surprised. Guess I shouldn't be.
zewt

Postby lar282 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 am

zewt wrote:2 years too late? To be bringing it up again?

As a very long-time user - All I know is that it was stated that Xlobby would always be free, never be a commercial product.

I have been away for a while, but just found it interesting that "always" was over pretty fast.

Whatever spin you wish to put on it, I still am surprised. Guess I shouldn't be.

If I were you I would mail Wes and Steven asking very nicely if u can get a license for the new and better Xlobby V3. Doesn't hurt to ask since u joined 2002 and been away for a while.

//Lasse
Last edited by lar282 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lar282

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:07 pm

2001? OMG!!! Makes Marb and Lasse look like newbs :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lar282 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:13 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:2001? OMG!!! Makes Marb and Lasse look like newbs :D

Hold your horses....
He's 2002 and I'm 2001

-:)

//Lasse
lar282

Postby bootron on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 pm

I remember coming back to Xlobby some time ago and noticing that it was no longer free. For whatever reason it shows that I joined in 2007 and that I have 0 posts or comments on these forums so I dont think I will be getting grandfathered into the new version free. I am just returning again and the only thing that is troublesome is having to start fresh. Xlobby and everybody here helped me greatly and now I have to wonder if I'm going to go back to Mythtv or something of that nature again.
I do think, however, that charging for the software is fine but its just not something I'm going to do. Its like having a cablecard enabled pc and the catch being that you have to buy a specific pc just to get setup. Its just not something Im going to do. I do want to thank everybody thats been around here forever for helping out and maybe my old Xlobby setup will last me forever - if I can put it all back together.
bootron

Re: So Xlobby, that would always be free, is not free anymor

Postby dickiedoo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I would pay for a stand alone software package, but have to much invested in my equipment to purchase a cube. Seems like there should be a package for those of us that were using it when it was free. I want these guys to be successful. I don't think it should remain free. It is an incredible product that has really changed my life. Please Wes.
dickiedoo

Postby Jay on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm

email Wes directly. I have 4 or 5 V3 licences.
Jay

Postby dickiedoo on Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

I have emailed Wes directly. He asked me what my screen name was, but since then i have had no response to my emails. I think it is because my screen name shows a 2008 date, when in fact i have had xlobby on 3 machines in my home since late 2005 or early 2006. All i want to do is pay my fair share for an incredibly versitile piece of software.
dickiedoo

Postby Jay on Mon May 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Try a bump. They are busy guys.
Jay