No video after WOL

Help each other out

No video after WOL

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Hopefully someone can help me or has seen this problem, it's driving me nuts.

I put my HTPC in standby and when I bring it out of standby with the mouse, keyboard or remote...it's fine. If I do a Wake On Lan with a "magic packet" the computer wakes up but gives me no video. I can access the shares and even connect to XL thru a thin client (PPC) but my touchscreen and tv (both of which are connected to that computer) show no video. If I shake the mouse at this point it comes up but whats the point of WOL if I have to go to the computer and shake the mouse :lol:

I have read several threads about this so I know I am not alone. Last night I updated my bios hoping that would help but did not.

I had the idea of using Girder to simulate a mouse movement and have it trigger when it comes out of standby. I found this script:

Code: Select all
Option Explicit

Dim wmiPowerManagementEvent, oShell
Const cntEventEnteringWakeup = 7

Set wmiPowerManagementEvent = GetObject("winmgmts:").ExecNotificationQuery("Select * from Win32_PowerManagementEvent")
Do
   If wmiPowerManagementEvent.NextEvent.EventType = cntEventEnteringWakeup Then
 set oShell=createobject("WScript.Shell")
 oShell.Run "c:\test.bat"
   End If
Loop

which will run the test.bat file, after it comes out of standby, which would run the Girder command. I put the computer in standby and then bring it out with WOL and I get the no video screen, I tap the space bar on the keyboard and it wakes up and triggers the Grider command... a little late don't you think :evil:

Anybody seen this, know how to fix it or have another work around.

Thanks!!!
scottw

Re: No video after WOL

Postby lar282 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Try this tool. Works great for me
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm

Fixes......
- Black screen of death on resume from standby.
- Not properly going into and out of standby.
- Unable to use the right sleep state (fans keep running).
- Not going back to standby after a scheduled recording or guide update.
- Not (reliably) waking for a scheduled recording.
- Unable to wake from S3 standby using remote.
- Unable to put the system standby by remote.
- Hardware drivers preventing entering standby.
- Blank screen requiring a button press on resume from standby.
- Problematic USB devices at resume.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm

ok, stabbing in the dark at this, but check your monitor power settings under Display properties/Screensaver. Set the "power off monitor" to never and see if this helps. That's what it sounds like is happening. The PC goes to sleep and windows is killing power to the monitor in the powersave settings as well. I have NO CLUE if this will help, but couldn't hurt :)
cmhardwick

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:37 pm

lar282 wrote:Try this tool. Works great for me
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm

Fixes......
- Black screen of death on resume from standby.
- Not properly going into and out of standby.
- Unable to use the right sleep state (fans keep running).
- Not going back to standby after a scheduled recording or guide update.
- Not (reliably) waking for a scheduled recording.
- Unable to wake from S3 standby using remote.
- Unable to put the system standby by remote.
- Hardware drivers preventing entering standby.
- Blank screen requiring a button press on resume from standby.
- Problematic USB devices at resume.

//Lasse

Which version are you running??? I just loaded the latest one on my laptop (which was having the same problem) and after a reboot I get a BSOD and trying to get into Safe Mode it says my profile is corrupt :shock:
scottw

Postby lar282 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

sorry to hear u got prob. I have that tools on both my machines without prob.

try last known good config or system restore

//Lasse
lar282

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:01 pm

thanks,

Something hosed my machine...not saying it was this. I will do a backup on my HTPC and then try just in case, my laptop was just to test with.

Will let you know that for helping me. :D
scottw

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 pm

I have exactly the same thing, The PC wakes up and then I have to press a key to have video.
dalanik

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:56 pm

dalanik wrote:I have exactly the same thing, The PC wakes up and then I have to press a key to have video.

Cool...good to know someone else here has had this...although it's not cool that you have the problem :lol:

Let me know if you ever find a solution and I will do the same.
scottw

Postby m_ski on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm

I have a similar issue - I don't have a solution but I did do quite a lot of digging. It is to do with the power management modes assuming that if there has been a WOL then Windows assumes there is no user actually present so goes into a 'partly woken up' mode - IsResumeAutomatic=true.

See this post for more details - http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?s ... ded&start=
m_ski

Postby lar282 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:56 pm

u guys should try the application I mentioned. I does really solve ALOT of standby issues.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby tswhite70 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:06 pm

scottw - Girder has the events OnResumeStandby and OnResumeSuspend built in, you do not need your script. Just create a new Girder multicommand called OnWakeup (or whatever), add whatever commands you want and set the firing event to GirderEvent:OnResumeStandby\Suspend (I forget which one for S3). Should work like a charm, I use it on all my machines to run mulitple commands (bring Xlobby in focus, set Xlobby to Main Menu Screen, send WOL packet to my server).

I uploaded a little code for somebody else a while back the virtually presses the shift key, you could have Girder call that .exe as a part of it's wake up events. (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5298&p=36254&hilit=sendshift#p36254)

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby scottw on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 pm

tswhite70 wrote:scottw - Girder has the events OnResumeStandby and OnResumeSuspend built in, you do not need your script. Just create a new Girder multicommand called OnWakeup (or whatever), add whatever commands you want and set the firing event to GirderEvent:OnResumeStandby\Suspend (I forget which one for S3). Should work like a charm, I use it on all my machines to run mulitple commands (bring Xlobby in focus, set Xlobby to Main Menu Screen, send WOL packet to my server).

I uploaded a little code for somebody else a while back the virtually presses the shift key, you could have Girder call that .exe as a part of it's wake up events. (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5298&p=36254&hilit=sendshift#p36254)

good luck,
tsw

Thanks for replying. Unfortunatly this wont work. The computer wakes up but nothing will run on the computer until the monitor/tv is show by either shaking the mouse or hitting a key on the keyboard. So what happen when I set that up is I do a wake on lan and the monitor never comes on, I hit the spacebar and the montor shows the screen then the girder event runs. :?

u guys should try the application I mentioned. I does really solve ALOT of standby issues.

//Lasse

I am going to try this Lassie but want to run a backup first. I trust you but after what happened to my laptop was just a reminder that while I have everything up a running corectly, I should backup :D
I am not saying this program was the problem on my laptop but I am much happier that it did not happen on my XL machine, that would have sucked!!!!

I will let you know when I try it, it looks like it may help!!!
scottw