control

Speak your mind

control

Postby minus81 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:24 am

I havent tried xlobby out yet, because i'm currently building a new pc and the one i use right now is only running on windows 98 (old compaq). As soon as I get this one built, I'll get xlobby and play around with that to get an idea of how it works for my htpc (later build). Anyway, I was wondering how xlobby is mainly controlled (i.e. remote, keyboard, or mouse)? I'm currently using a LCD touchscreen remote for my ht and would like to incorporate that with xlobby (will also use mouse and keyboard for some). Anyway, thanks in advance.

This site i great. Can't wait to get everything going
minus81

Postby AirPost on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:19 pm

Welcome Minus81.

You'll find that Xlobby is very customizable/flexible when it comes to controlling it. Remote, keyboard, mouse, touchscreen lcd or a combination of these will all work great. Xlobby supports the usb-uirt ir blaster via it's own plugin so if you have this, chances are your remote should work with Xlobby. If you don't have a usb-uirt but have another ir blaster, Girder with Xlobby's support for messages should cover your remote as well.

One of the great things about XL is that you can tailor the skin to your use. So if you intend to use XL with just a remote, you can customize your skin to not show any navigation/transport buttons but instead use the real estate for more information/display.

If you want to take a dip now while waiting for your new gear, you can try it on your Win98 pc - I know one or two that is using Win98 with XL and got it running. Enjoy ! :D
AirPost

Postby Arthur on Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:25 pm

If you want to have an easy start, look for a suiteble skin. Skins are made by users and if this user uses the same input device as you are planning to use, you don't have to implement it yourself!

Arthur
Arthur

Postby minus81 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:22 pm

i already downloaded xl to 98, but it required microsoft's .net 1.1....something. so i downloaded that. I went to install the microsoft piece and a message came up saying that it would not work with 98, and i have to upgrade. i'd love to play with xl now, I can use it for my music collection. if anyone could help me out with it, i'd greatly appreciate it. i'll probably use my touchscreen remote most, but will still have a kb/mouse for internet and searches....etc
minus81

Postby minus81 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:45 am

got xl working.....just downloaded it again, and it worked no problem. WOW!! This thing is awesome. only problems i've encountered is the fact that it is quite slow on my pc (old compaq with very slow processor, so not the programs fault), and i also downloaded jowaldo's skin, but have been unable to load it properly.... i read the threads about it and was having the same problem where I would get the "loading: screens" screen and it would stop. tried to find how to fix it, but no luck. oh well, i'll just keep searching.
minus81