Importing Correct Artist/Album Names ?

Help each other out

Importing Correct Artist/Album Names ?

Postby Nubio on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 pm

What does XL use to organize albums in the Music screens, ID3 tags or folder names?

problem i'm having is that a few of my albums are being labelled as "Various Artists" or "Various Albums" even though i have each track of the album properly ID3 tagged (using MusicMatch) with the same artist and/or album name

i have re-tagged the files several times and even deleted then recreated the Music database, but every time the same albums are shown as Various Artist and/or Various Albums

XL does label the vast majority of my albums properly

i know i can manually edit the artist and album names in XL, but i want to get all albums working properly

i'm using BlueSkin 2 WS, BTW
Nubio

Postby bmblank on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:11 pm

Xlobby uses the file structure that the music is in. What you want is something like this

Artist
--Album1
----Album1 Song1
----Album1 Song2
--Album2
----Album2 Song1

etc..
It explains more in the documentation portion of the forums..
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Nubio,

I've also noticed that if there are any additional tags, like year, genre, comments, or if tags don't match from mp3 to mp3, then I have gotten the Various Artist as well. Sucks, but you almost have to go through all the files and verify that the tagging is the same. Software like Tag'n Rename helps out here.
Marbles_00

Postby Nubio on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:11 pm

bmblank wrote:Xlobby uses the file structure that the music is in. What you want is something like this

Artist
--Album1
----Album1 Song1
----Album1 Song2
--Album2
----Album2 Song1

that's exactly how i have my MP3s organized

Marbles_00 wrote:I've also noticed that if there are any additional tags, like year, genre, comments, or if tags don't match from mp3 to mp3, then I have gotten the Various Artist as well. Sucks, but you almost have to go through all the files and verify that the tagging is the same. Software like Tag'n Rename helps out here.

ok, i'll scrutinize every tag on every mp3 that is not being labelled correctly, and hopefully i'll find some inconsistancies that explain the problem

thanks
Nubio

Re: Importing Correct Artist/Album Names ?

Postby lionking15 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi

Please tell me would it make a difference if in my music folder i had a different folder for each album, or is it better in my music folder to have one folder for each artist, and then in that artists folder have a seperate folder for each album?

Where would i find the correct documentation on file structure for xlobby?

Thanks
lionking15

Re: Importing Correct Artist/Album Names ?

Postby dhcf23 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Not sure about better or worse but I can tell you from my experience that having it set up like this works perfect in Xlobby. Everything imports properly however if your tags are not set up right then it will not look pretty so I would say structure it this way and make sure the tracks are properly tagged. I also have inside each album with the tracks is one jpg coverart for that album. I have used Mediamonkey in the past to tag tracks and if you search here others have posted what they have had success with.

Music>Artist1>Album1>Tracks
Music>Artist1>Album2>Tracks
Music>Artist2>Album1>Tracks
dhcf23