web browser independent control

V3 help and support questions

web browser independent control

Postby billberet on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:38 am

when you are controlling XL from a browser as an independent control, the IR's never work on the server.
is there a way to have IR always run on server. the same way the client tells the server to use IR on server.

is something like this possible?
billberet

Re: web browser independent control

Postby samsonlov on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:00 pm

This has been broken for months.
samsonlov

Postby billberet on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

i have been having some partial luck with this.
i think if you have the checkbox on the event to 'run event on server only' it will run the IR on the server thru the independent control.
i was able to get some of the Fios STB's to work with it. using ir.

i forget the exact name of the checkbox, but it was to tell the event to always play on the server.
billberet

Postby samsonlov on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:55 pm

The problem that I'm having is that I've got 4 clients and I send commands to them from the server. The commands I'm sending include all the normal commands that are run on a client. This includes "ir" and "RS232" commands that must be executed on the client. I use "xPads" and browsers to access the server from anywhere on the property so I need to be able to control all machines from a single regular browser screen or from a single xnet screen.

An example of a command I might want to send:
Command : "Game Night" (event is on server - does the following)
- Executes "Game Night" event on 4 client machines which include commands to turn-on tvs, receivers, and other equipment in up to 8 rooms;
- Executes the remaining events on the server that set lighting levels, set-up house audio for 18 zones, and set matrix switcher to send the "Game" to up to 8 screens.

The broken part: the "ir" commands on the clients don't execute when called from a server or "xpad", but do seem to work when executed from the server's touch-screen.

Any suggestions?
samsonlov

Postby billberet on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm

ahhhhhh, i gotcha.
so your going from a touchpad to the client.

I was going from touchpad to server.
Sorry buddy, this one is out of my league
:)

if it's even possible, since the touchpads are communicating thru the web browser that is hosted on the server, so there would have
to be some way the server knows which client your trying to send the communication too. kind of a 'port forwarding' scenario.
this sounds like it would be a great plugin. where you can send 2 variables, the client name, and the command. then the plugin would take that command and send it up to the proper client.
just a thought.
billberet

Postby samsonlov on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:57 pm

This exists.
No plugin required.
I'm going from xpad to server to clients.
Now it just has to work for events that have an "ir" output on them.
:)
samsonlov