Definitions of xlobby words, terms, programs, and plugins

xlobby docs (works in progress)

Definitions of xlobby words, terms, programs, and plugins

Postby bfauska on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:59 pm

I have noticed a common problem for new users of xlobby is that the inital learning curve is very steep. Simple tasks like getting the default skin to play your music and video are fairly well outlined in various places on this forum, but sometimes not knowing the difference between a category and a database, or what a program or plugin that is used with xlobby does or is can keep somebody burried in a forum or web search for hours or days.

It seems like we should maybe have a xlobby dictionary of sorts, a thread that we all post to with definitions of things (simple or complex) that maybe took us a while to learn. Even if we double post it could be nice to have definitions worded in different ways. Searching the forum would probably return a hit for this thread and searching this thread could potentially prove very usefull to the new xlobby user. Hopefully this catches on and will become a great place to start when sombody is confused and needs a definition.

Please post DEFINITIONS and DESCRIPTIONS only. We can use other threads to answer more detailed questions, so if you find the definition of a word or program here and have more questions about it use some of the info from this thread to do a better search, or post a new thread with your question.

If you find somebody else's definition to be misleading, incomplete or wrong in some way, please post the definition as you think it should be and maybe request that they edit their post, but DON'T ONLY say that thier's is wrong.

Hopefully every post in this thread can shed some new light on the words and terminoligy used everyday in this forum for new users and old users alike. It would be fantastic if every user of the forum would try to post at least one definition, even if you think it is a definition of something that would be easy to figure out, somebody may benifit from it.

New users: If you learn something new anywhere in this forum or with the program post a definition here, people are more willing to help out users who also try to help others.

Requests for definitions could also be okay, if you promise to return to the post and edit it when you find out the answer.

I will post some definitions in the following post as an example of the kinds of things I think we should cover.

Happy Xlobbying,
Brian
bfauska

Postby bfauska on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm

XML: A versitle programming language, widely used for web and network documents. XML is used in xlobby to define various aspects of the program and your skins, mostly created automatically by xlobbys various features some people use text editors to further customize xlobby to their needs.

Winamp: A software media player that xlobby can share infromation with and control to allow nicely integrated music features in xlobby.

Zoomplayer or ZP: A software video player that many people use in conjunction with xlobby for video and dvd playback.

Plugin: An add-on program, usually made by an xlobby user, which allows the integration of extra features, programs, or hardware into the xlobby platform.

Frontend: A program that integrates the access and use of media and other features on your computer.

Events: Tasks that xlobby can be made to perform. Events can be linked to screens, buttons and other aspects of xlobby to determine how xlobby performs and what it does for you.

This is just a start of what I can think of right off hand, if anything needs adjustment please post what YOUR definiton would be and I may adjust mine. If I think of anything else I feel I have a definition worth sharing I will add it to this post.

Please contribute anything you have a definition for.

Thanks,
Brian
bfauska

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:22 pm

Cat short for category is a GUI element which provides a view to particular database, and is used by user to select certain item from (filtered) collection of items belonging to the base.

Dummy cat is cat which purpose is not to be medium of user interaction, but its purpose of existance is usual tied to some hack or workaround.

Catwalk Refers to a way certain algorithms (found on plugins) use to go trough category items by use of next or prev item commands. Method was made famous by XmoveTo plugin.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Colby on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:27 am

It seems like we should maybe have a xlobby dictionary of sorts,

Great idea. That is why I included it in my skinning guide. But it never hurts to add to it. It is under glossary.
Colby

Postby rika on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:27 am

This is a list i once published on another htpc forum, might come handy here too.

The following list provides brief definitions for common digital entertainment terms that you might see in this forum

1394 The standard for a digital connection or bus used to transfer data between two independent systems. The 1394a standard provides 400-Mbps bandwidth but the reach is limited to 3 or 4 meters. The 1394b standard extends the bandwidth to 800 Mbps and the reach to a whole-house environment.

1080i Type of high-definition television (HDTV) image, 1,080 vertical lines by 1,920 horizontal pixels wide, displayed in interlaced format. (16:9 aspect ratio, 29.97 Hz frame rate, as defined by the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) standard.)

720p Type of high-definition television (HDTV) image, 720 vertical lines by 1,280 horizontal pixels wide, displayed in progressive format. (16:9 aspect ratio, 59.94 Hz, 29.97 Hz, and 23.98 Hz frame rates, as defined by the ATSC standard.)

480p High-definition television (HDTV) image 480 vertical lines by 720 horizontal pixels displayed in progressive format (4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, 59.94 Hz, 29.97 Hz, and 23.98 Hz frame rates, as defined by the ATSC standard.)

480i Type of standard digital television (SDTV) image, 480 lines by 720 pixels wide, displayed in interlaced format. (4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, 29.97 Hz frame rate, as defined by the ATSC standard.)

802.11b IEEE specification for wireless networking at 11 Mbps.

802.11g IEEE specification for wireless networking at 54 Mbps over short distances.

A
Analog A type of waveform signal that contains information such as image, voice, and data. Analog signals have unpredictable height (amplitude) and width (frequency) and can vary infinitely over a given range.

Aspect ratio Ratio between the width and height of the video image. Standard National Television System Committee (NTSC), phase-alternation line (PAL), Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) (standard definition) and digital video broadcasting (DVB) (standard definition) use a 4:3 ratio, ATSC and DVB high-definition formats use a 16:9 format.

Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) Committee established by the FCC to define new standards for publicly regulated broadcast television in the U.S.

Advanced Television Enhancement Forum (ATVEF) A standard for combining intellectual property (IP) data with television video.

B
B frame An MPEG-2 compressed video frame derived by extrapolation between previous and future frames.

Bandwidth A measure of the capacity of a circuit or channel. In other words, the amount of information transferred between points within a specified time period.

Broadband Term that generally refers to high-bandwith capacity. Broadband has a multi-channel capacity that is greater or equal to 45 Mbps (US standard) or 34 Mbps (European / international standards).

C
Conditional access (CA) A cryptographic technique for controlling which receivers are able to access a particular signal.

Coded orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (COFDM) The modulation scheme selected by the DVB committee for digital terrestrial broadcast television. (See "Modulation" below.)

Compression A mathematical method of reducing the amount of digital information needed to re-create a television picture or frame.

Content protection (CP) Cryptographic and design techniques used to limit how data flows within a receiving device and between devices. Generally this is used to restrict copying of copyright protected material.

D
Datacasting Jargon referring to the propagation of information from one source to another source

Demodulation A method for extracting digital information stored in a specific pattern on a radio frequency (RF) signal.

Digital Information sent as a series of high (1) and low (0) signals separated by a fixed period of time.

Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) A step used in the MPEG coding process to convert data from spatial to temporal domain.

Digital light projection (DLP) A technique developed by Texas Instruments that creates a video image on a piece of silicon and uses mirrors and light to project the image onto a viewable screen.

Digital satellite service (DSS) MPEG-2-based digital transmission format (e.g., DirectTV).

Digital set-top-box (DSTB) A device that receives and decodes digital video broadcasts for consumer viewing.

Digital television (DTV) A device that receives, decodes, and displays digital video broadcasts (in both high-definition and standard-definition formats) for consumer viewing

Digital video broadcast (DVB) MPEG-2-based digital television standard that defines formats for cable, satellite, and terrestrial broadcast.

Digital visual interface (DVI) Digital connection between a video source and a monitor. Replaces video graphics array (VGA).

E
Encryption A mathematical technique for scrambling information such that only those with a key piece of information can unscramble the information to recreate the original message.

Enhanced television Any of several techniques for providing a viewer with additional information associated with a television program or advertisement.

F
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) The U.S. government body responsible for setting and enforcing regulations of transmissions over publicly accessible airwaves

Frame The lines and columns of pixels that make up the displayed image. Video speed, expressed as frames per second (FPS), gives the rate at which the video image is updated.

H
High-definition television (HDTV) High-definition video formats that have 16:9 aspect ratio. Generally refers to 1080i or 720p images. (See "1080i" and "720p" above.)

Hypertext markup language (HTML) Standard text format used for Internet documents.

I
I frame An MPEG-2 compressed video frame containing most of the original information. Used as a reference to build subsequent B and P frames.

Inverse discrete cosine transform (IDCT) A step in the MPEG decoding process to convert data from temporal back to spatial domain.

Interactive television A capability in DTV or DSTB that allows a user to control the action of the television and view the results of his/her action on the television.

Interlaced A scanning technique in a video system where odd and even horizontal lines of a video frame are displayed during alternating update cycles. Lines 1,3,5, etc. are displayed during the first cycle, creating one field. Lines 2,4,6, etc. are displayed on the second cycle, creating the next field. Two fields combine to make one frame.

M
Macrovision A copy-protection scheme that inhibits illegal copying of analog television programs. Macrovision Corporation developed and licenses the technology.

Modulation A technique for embedding digital information in a radio carrier wave for broadcast.

Motion compensation (MC) A step in the MPEG-2 video decompression (decoding) process.

MPEG-2 A mathematical technique for compressing video data to reduce the data file size.

Multicasting Generally, multicasting refers to propagation from one source to only a subset of potential destinations. It also means a technique for simultaneously sending multiple DTV programs on a single channel. The frequency used to carry a single analog television program can be used to carry up to six digital programs.

N
National Television System Committee (NTSC) The committee that decided on the compatible color television system for the US. The FCC adopted it in 1953.

P
Phase-alternating line (PAL) The analog color video composite system developed in Europe and used by countries around the world. It is similar to the NTSC standard, but it uses a sub-carrier phase alternation technique that makes certain kinds of transmission errors appear to cancel.

P frame An MPEG-2 compressed video frame containing original information and information derived from previous frames.

Pixel The smallest unit of color in a display. Frames are made up of lines and columns of pixels. The number of pixel lines in each frame expresses video resolution.

Plasma display panel (PDP) Flat panel display using plasma electronic technology.

Pay-per-view (PPV) A technique of controlling television access whereby the customer is charged on the basis of what programs he/she watches.

Progressive A picture-scanning process where all the lines of the image are scanned by every vertical scan.

Q
Quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) A modulation method used by cable DTV that combines changes in phase and amplitude to send four bits with each baud.

Quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK) A modulation method used by satellite DTV that transmits information by varying the phase of a sine wave.

R
Radio frequency (RF) Refers to the use of radio carrier waves to transmit a broadcast signal. (See "Modulation" above.)

Red, green, blue (RGB) The basic color signals used to drive a display.

S
Standard definition television (SDTV) Standard definition video format that has 4:3 aspect ratio. Generally refers to 480i. (See "480i" above.)

T
Terrestrial television Television signals broadcast from local radio towers. Homes with antennas capable of picking up the broadcast signals are able to receive the television program.

U
Universal serial bus (USB) A digital connection between two separate electronic devices which provides "plug-and-play" capability.

V
Video on demand (VOD) The viewer pays a small fee to the television service provider in order to watch particular movies listed on the on-screen television menu. Similar to pay-per-view.

Vestigial sideband (VSB) Modulation scheme selected by the U.S. Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) for digital terrestrial broadcast television. (See Modulation.)

Rika
rika